Newly rebuilt precision vigilanti 5disc not locking anymore

dave34

just got my precision vigilanti multidisc 9 in lu torque conv rebuilt . I just had my trans rebuilt at same time . i installed it and it locked up for the first 4 or 5 drives but now nothing. i replaced tcc already and verified 12v and ground , i even ran a temp ground from 4pin connector to cockpit to a temp switch so i could ground as soon as i got into 3rd but nothing. direct scan is commanding lockup and 3rd and 4th switches are working correctly. valve above tcc solenoid is moving up and down freely also. i've got a bad feeling that the converter needs to come out . i'm going to OC in 2 days so no time right now but any other ideas or checks that i can do ? or does this about cover it. I heard that putting a checkball in tcc might help me diagnose, but i already tried a new one and it clicks just fine . Should i get a tcc sol. from a trans shop because the only ones available are the universal ones . Ive tried 2 different styles so far. last question , will i hurt anything running this converter w no lockup ? car runs great , it justs tachs at 2500 at hwy speed

thanks,
Dave

Sounds like you're on the right track. I usually check for 12 volts at the purple wire on the transmission plug which it sounds like you did. Do you hear a click when you ground that circuit with your switch? If not it's probably the selenoid. Check for proper alignment of the switch on the brake pedal too.

You don't want to run it very much w/o lockup. It's going to make a lot of heat that way and transmissions don't like heat.

the solenoid is defintley clicking and direct scan is commanding lockup. as far as driving i guess in oc i'll have to keep hwy driving to a minmal until i got time to remove converter. unfortunetily it looks like the converter itself. i was hoping i would not have to drop trans again . it just seems strange it did lock for the first 100 miles or so and out of knowwhere it just stopped.

thanks for the reply
Dave

I had a vigilante rebuild twice last fall and neither one would lock up. Finally the tranny guy gave me a new one on the shelf and delt with Precision on his own. I dont know there. You can take a check ball that just fits on top of the TCC solonoid and it will push the valve up manually that can tell you for sure its the converter. Why it dont lock now is a wonder though.

yea, i'm a little reluctant to send it back for a second rebuild but its either take another chance or pay $1100.00+ for a new one . if i had it to do over i would of went with a more cost friendlier unit. thanks for the reply, though. the sad part is it was still locking when it was sent out . my trans took a dump so thats the only reason and it was 8 yrs old . so the smart thing was to get precision to rebuild it fresh.

If you pull it, don't go back to it and your recent history with them should be enough to justify it. What are you gaining with all this $$ spent on the lockup?? A PTC will barely put you 100rpm different in 4th and there aren't clutches to burn up or not engage. I'm starting to think lock up converters are any easy way for Precision to make a buck, way too many people I know have the same, "burnt clutches", feedback from Precision.

OR get a 9/11 LU from Bruce @ PTS .. We lock it up even RACING it . 9.9 @ 138 :cool: Great street manners.

lots of threads on the LU an non LU .. If your just racing it I'd go with a non LU.. street /racing we like a LU to get some gas milage :cool: