newby, no power

1owner87

pics coming. bought a 87 gn last week from the orig owner.
window sticker.orig title etc. every panel is dented but theres no rust.
it has 105,000 miles.
motors never been touched.
it needs a water pump. the neck is deteriorating away from age.
been sitting since 2003.
i drove it up the driveway and theres no power at all. seems like the turbo is inop.
i removed the hose and it spins freely.
the turbo gauge on the dash goes up a little but thats it.
what can i look for. start by putting some fresh gas in it??
thanks .
this is a great site.
john

First, welcome to the Dark Side. Post your location as there may be a member near you who can help you out. These cars are a emotional rollercoaster. When they're good, they're great. When they're bad, they're baaaaaaad. You have been warned haha.

You should decide, or at least have a good idea as to what direction you want to go with the car. Stock? Mild? Wild? Also what do you intend to do with it? Cruise? Street? Street/strip?

Start with the basics. Go over the car from top to bottom, front to back. Take the car apart and inspect everything. Get it driveable first. With a car that's been sitting that long, it may take some time. And a bit of money. Could be many reasons the turbo isn't there. I wouldn't worry about that just yet. Get the problems fix then start messing with it.

Go over the spring cleaning list. You may need to drop the tank and clean it, and while your in there might as well put in a good fuel pump and hotwire harness. May need new injectors too.

These cars can get expensive in a hurry, especially when bringing one back to roadworthy conditions. But I see you own(ed) a few Mopars so I'm betting you're familiar with that.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Check to see if the cat is clogged. I bet you are having wayy too much backpressure because of a clogged cat.

Welcome to the site btw.

christmas is over .time to get busy.
tomorrow i will suck the tank dry ,add some fresh high test, can of injector cleaner and check the spark plugs .
dont know the last time they were changed.
got no heat in the garage.
thanks for the help so far.

Hi John. There's a great thread called "spring cleaning", start there. Welcome to the site.

Peter

another problem i noticed yesterday. when i start it the tach light up entirely.
meaning its lit all the way across. seams to be idling at around 1000 rpms.
hopefully its just a wire or a switch malfuction.??
more investigating.

another problem i noticed yesterday. when i start it the tach light up entirely.
meaning its lit all the way across. seams to be idling at around 1000 rpms.
hopefully its just a wire or a switch malfuction.??
more investigating.

The digital tach is notorious for going bad. Caspers electronic has a fix but sounds like thats the least of your worries. :p

Hi, and welcome to the site.

Lots of guys on here know these cars so well they can spot problems just by looking. Post your approximate location, and perhaps we can get you together with someone with some experience.

Otherwise, if you can post a bunch of pictures of the engine compartment, we can look for issues and point out things to check.

Certainly check the oil for signs of contamination, coolant and such. How does the engine sound? knocks, ticks, etc.

Assuming the engine is basically healthy, you should be able to get it running pretty well with not much work. These cars are a lot of fun when they are running right.

Bob

a couple local members are hooking me up with parts and assisting me with mechanical needs.
i emptied out the cat of all the broken pieces. car runs like a bear.
very exciting to hear that hear turbo wind up.
cant wait to get it on the road. might need snow tires .

a couple local members are hooking me up with parts and assisting me with mechanical needs.
i emptied out the cat of all the broken pieces. car runs like a bear.
very exciting to hear that hear turbo wind up.
cant wait to get it on the road. might need snow tires .

First thing on your list should be to get a scanmaster so you can verify everything is tuned in where it should be. Then I would check to see if your cam is wiped out yet. Pop off the valve covers and see if the lifters are all moving about the same distance. Good luck - Jason

Spring cleaning link - http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html

the valve cover gaskets are leaking.i will check the rockers when i install new gaskets.
thanks

If you are getting local that will be great . As you have been told by a scan master first . I didn't and think I spent some uneccesary money . Good luck . I met my first member on thismsitembecause I was changing a flat tire . He has introduced me to some very helpful people