Newbie buying Grand National needs help

TGunz 40

Hi Everyone,

A coworker of mine is selling a Grand National with like 35,000 miles on it for $15K. He told me he recently replaced the cooling system, springs, tires, and exhaust. I have seen the car in person and it is very clean. Is this a fair price for this car??

I dont know much about Grand Nationals but I have always heard about them being fast... Are there any "known" problems that seem to plague all of them? Should I worry about the turbos blowing up or anything specific?

Where can I find more basic info on the car? And where can I find more info on tuning it?!

Thanks for your time everyone,

Tommy
Ironworkers Local 40
New York City

Find an experienced Buick Owner in your area and have them check it out too. It should have immaculate interior and paint as well.

For that kind of money i would look for a worked car... but
its me. I think the price is little high. Alex

My purchase

I bought mine a little more than a year ago. Had 21k on the dial and was completely stock.

I paid 14,500.00 for it.

Just a reference.

With 35k on it...I would think 12,500 is more like the price.

If it is in excellent condition and drives like a new car, I would say 13 tops. I think the 12.5 suggested above is about right.

Crawl under it and look for rust.

I bought my car with 42,000 original miles from a guy who bought it new in 87. I got a super deal for $6,000 (well at least I think so) but after starting my frame off resto (at 42,500) and seeing what can happen when a car sits in a garge for years without use,it makes me wonder if low mile cars for big money is worth it. My power master has the original brake accumulator on it. Not that it's bad it's just a concern. Everything on this car was original. If you live in New England and your garge is not heated, to me that's a concern when buy a car with low miles. Here we have hot summer and cold winters. My car was not driven for 7 years (I don't even think it was started). Back to you (sorry got off the subject a little) if it was my car with 35,000 miles, I think I would be asking for that amount too. it's just like lbarrydds says it should have immaculate interior and paint ( remember that's GM paint job:mad: :( . Take you time and look it over good, I don't think there's a nicer car out there. Good luck

I know I'm going to be ask about the frame off with only 500 miles after I purchased it. I wanted to get a GNX untill I saw what they are selling for and realized I can't afford that. So I did the next best thing, I made one from ground up. I forget who say it all the time on this board but my car has been GNX'D!!!!:cool: :D ;) :D

I guess it depends on what kinda car you're looking for.
low milage and stock or higher mileage and lots of mods.

I gave 15,000 for mine, interior excellent, exterior very good
couple of dings, original paint still shines. 74,000 miles.
May sound kinda high but car has LOTS of mods! most of them very recent. $1000 in new rims and tires,
got all the stock parts too.
If you want a fast GN it's better to pay a little more and get one someone else has already spent a ton on:D it's much cheaper!
Just shop around awhile.

(ARE THERE ANY "KNOWN" PROBLEMS THAT SEEM TO PLAGUE ALL OF THEM? )

Well...yea, now that you mention it, a few do come to mind.:D #1 Can wear out tires fast. #2 They have been known to make passengers turn a pasty shade of white, or even squeal. #3 They do'nt allow you much time to check out the girlies in the bleachers as you run the quarter mile. Any one else have any problems? I know this aint the lounge but I could'nt resist. Oh, BTW what mods does it have? Good luck, and welcome aboard.

The price seems a little high unless the car is spotless. Just a thought, but try looking for GN's in Canada. I've seen several good buys just north of the border. Hell mines Canadien, ay!;)

Thanks for all the info guys!

I will try inspecting it a little more closely and see if I can get him down on the price a little bit.

Does anyone happen to know a shop that specializes in GN's in the NY/NJ area who I can have look over the car before I buy it?

Thanks again!

Tommy