New trans with no reverse

Anyone know what would be the cause of a brand new 200r4 transmission not having reverse? I noticed it as soon as I went to reverse after install while on jack stands still! The tires would move really slow and needed a good amount of throttle. I put the car on ground and all other gears work great but reverse was barely moving car. I gave it some gas and heard a loud noise that sounded like I just sheered the teeth off my my driver shaft. I pulled pan and pulled the reverse boost valve to make sure it was not installed incorrectly but it was fine. Fluid was good as far as smell and level. No metal in pan or anything strange. Any ideas?

I would think a seal isn't sealing.

Who built it? Did they air check it?

Loud bang? Something might be broken. Are you getting third gear?

Thanks Tex. T. I have to ask them about air checking it prior. I did not list the builder because they are being helpful and I did not want to put them on blast......yet. A friend suggested the direct drum... center support rings, or low/ reverse cup plug? I was thinking low/reverse cup plug after an extensive search of these forums of others having same issue on a brand new trans. I am going to pull it back out today and return it. I have my stocker that was leaking but I believe it was coming from a restalled converter. I have a new converter so I will put it in while this one is getting repaired.

014.jpg

Rear pump seal? You mean gasket at the base of pump/case?

This here.

That's the low/reverse clutch. There's seals inside the housing and a cup seal under the valvebody and the case. No pump in that area of the unit.