new to turbo

flyboy367

i know this is a gn forum, but i have been looking all over the net for info and im not sure what im looking for. i have a 1991 chevy s10 blazer. 4.3 i want to rebuild the engine with vortech heads, and a forged .30 over rebuild kit. i want to add a turbo that will produce up to 12 lbs about. i not sure what to get. i do my own fabrication and exhaust work to save $$. id like to get by making a junkyard kit for myself and only have to pay full for a fuel management system (told i needed one) and a boost controller for my msd6a. any help you guys could give me would be apriciated. even pics of how the turbos are installed in your cars would be a help. im also converting the truck to 5spd and adding awd if i can find out if a camaro t5 will slip into a awd unit. currently its just a 4x4.
thanks alot

any turbo can make 12lbs of boost. the problem is how efficently
it can make that boost. for example a small turbo would have to spin very fast to make boost and it would cause the air charge
to be very hot. a large turbo could make the same boost at a
slower speed and not heat the air charge as much. the next problem becomes what size turbo can your engine spin to
create that boost. a large turbo requires alot of exhaust gas
to spin the turbine wheel compared to a smaller turbo.
for turbo plumbing you are going to need to connect the exhaust
gas from one side of the motor and direct it to the other side
so that that way ALL of your exhaust gas will have to pass
through the turbo. then the outlet side of your turbo would connect into exhaust under the truck. you may want to check
on sites that are specifically for typhoons and cyclones as they
have turbocharged 4.3l in them for General motors.

Run L2441-F30 pistons (TRWs) cheap slugs but effective. Stick with the 700R4, just rebiuld it. With 4WD, power braking makes these things a lot more fun, just be sure to get a decent performance rebuild and some stall. Count on building or modding an intake manifold for port injection if you do it. If you use 96+ heads, you'll need a special intake for the heads, be sure it's not for the earlier heads. I'd probably end up with as many upgrades in the valvetrain as possible too, since the SBC and 4.3L use the same valvetrain parts. (probably keep an eye out at swap meets for people that lost a cylinder or two's worth of parts) also keep in mind the 96+ heads use self aligning rockers like all vortecs 96+. The intake manifold is one of the reasons I'm going with a 3.8L versus a 4.3L for my swap eventually, not to mention the by far superior connecting rods. If you can get some, pony up for a set of Eagle rods, with the forged slugs you'll be fine for quite a bit of power. Far as it goes, pick around www.gnttype.org and www.turbofast.com.au for turbo sizing and I'm sure someone else will speak up. There's a lot you havn't mentioned yet (cam, rockers etc. etc.)

as much as i can safely. since my exhaust is so fudged and i spent alot to fab a better one im thinking twin turbo if possible, but i dont want to go to crazy