New to E85. Few questions

Unfortunately running the -10 isn't in the budget right now. I have to get ready for the bpg race and the car needs tires and some suspension pieces. Plan is to go back to race gas this month to get ready for up there. After that race I'm going to got -8 or -10 and probably go with the magnafuel protuner 750 pump. Looks like the supra guys are doing 1000+ HP on e85 with that pump. Its continuous duty too. I was wishing never to go back to race gas but may have to for the next race. Just don't have the time. I will probably put the 95s back in. I was thinking of eliminating the Saginaw fittings, but that would be wasted money for the future plan.

Changed my mind again. Started doing the fuel system tonight. Its going to be cheaper for me to go to my race with e85 and a new feed line then buying race gas.

First thing I did was added another 3/8ths line to the stock fuel sending unit. I'm going to t the pumps outside the tank now. I ordered some fittings for this setup: I'm running 2 3/8ths hoses to -8 to 3/8ths barbed fittings that tie into a y fitting that has 2 -8s to one -10. Going to a jegs 9" filter with a 40 micron ss element. Then continuing a -10 to the stock fuel rail. For the return, I have a -6 outlet for the regulator. I'm going to run a -6 line to the stock feed, reverse filter, then back to the tank.
I'm going to see if that return will let me run both pumps all the time. I used to run a double pumper like That with a normal -6 return and never had issues. Should have all this done in time when the converter comes back.

Changed my mind again. Started doing the fuel system tonight. Its going to be cheaper for me to go to my race with e85 and a new feed line then buying race gas.

First thing I did was added another 3/8ths line to the stock fuel sending unit. I'm going to t the pumps outside the tank now. I ordered some fittings for this setup: I'm running 2 3/8ths hoses to -8 to 3/8ths barbed fittings that tie into a y fitting that has 2 -8s to one -10. Going to a jegs 9" filter with a 40 micron ss element. Then continuing a -10 to the stock fuel rail. For the return, I have a -6 outlet for the regulator. I'm going to run a -6 line to the stock feed, reverse filter, then back to the tank.
I'm going to see if that return will let me run both pumps all the time. I used to run a double pumper like That with a normal -6 return and never had issues. Should have all this done in time when the converter comes back.

I ran a pair of Bosch GFP-204's, mounted externally, with a line setup a lot like that. I ran the pumps on all the time. No issues controlling fuel pressure. But my return went thru the stock feed in the top of the hanger. So beware of the tightest spot in the return.

So your setup should work.

Bob

That’s close to my set up but I went with -8 for a feed. For my return I cut the stock line back on the frame and used a cheap -6 compression fitting form summit racing with a reveres stock filter I also used a -6 compression fitting on the tank end as well. For the feed line I ran -8 to an ebay $20 filter housing and will run the wix e85 safe filter. I’m going to run a single pump for now with a Boosta pump and my plan is to remove the old feed and return lines from the stock sending unit and replace them with a -8 feed line and 6 return line just haven’t ordered the new pump yet so haven’t started to modify the hanger yet

Compression fittings... I don't like compression fittings. Especially on a fuel line.

Compression fittings... I don't like compression fittings. Especially on a fuel line.

Just a temp fix until I can run a new return. Besides, it is the return which shouldn't have too much pressure. Have you run into issues before? I've seen them on brake lines which would be way higher pressure than the fuel system.

Just a temp fix until I can run a new return. Besides, it is the return which shouldn't have too much pressure. Have you run into issues before? I've seen them on brake lines which would be way higher pressure than the fuel system.
:eek: You're killing me! NOT ON BRAKE LINES!

Using compression fittings on transmission cooler lines will usually result in leaks 50% of the time. The leak could be very minor, but a leak non the less.

If you want a 100% dependable connection, use a double flare, or AN fitting.

:eek: You're killing me! NOT ON BRAKE LINES!

Using compression fittings on transmission cooler lines will usually result in leaks 50% of the time. The leak could be very minor, but a leak non the less.

If you want a 100% dependable connection, use a double flare, or AN fitting.

Not saying I used a compression fitting on a brake line, I've seen it though with no issues is what I was trying to say. I could flare it, but I doubt my flare tool will fit where it needs to.

A quick Google search showed that brass compression fittings are rated anywhere from 150 psi to 600+ psi on a steel line. I think that copmpression fitting on my return will be ok. I can't see more than 20 psi at the most on that line

I learned very early in my transmission career that compression fittings are an iffy deal. After you have to go back and redo enough of them, you finally learn to just stay way clear of them.
Transmission cooler lines typically see 40 psi.

I would just recommend that periodically you check the tightness of the fitting. It can sometimes tend to loosen over time.

I was thinking the same thing after seeing the Hydro boost brake kits using them on the pressure line and working compared to a return line it would be ok.

If you're going to run compression fittings on steel tube you need to stop by your local industrial hydraulic supply house and get steel hydraulic compression fittings.

These fittings are designed for high pressures and temperatures and the steel ferrule that comes with them actually bites into the steel tube,unlike the light duty brass jobs that just sorta smush against it and hope for the best :D.

The brass compression fittings are actually designed for plastic and copper tube,not steel.:eek:

Cool thing is,you can get the hydraulic fittings that go from tube to AN/JIC so you don't have to stack up adapters to go to your AN fittings on your hose.

Parker - XHBU UNION ADAPTER STEEL

Here is the pic of my homemade double pumper. Please, don't bash it, I'm not a master fabricator and can't weld and I'm poor lol
IMG_20110701_090236.jpg

IMG_20110701_090207.jpg

Got my fuel line parts today. I'm real happy with the Jegs filter. It's 9" long, billet, anodized and has -10 ends. Says it's safe for all alcohols. It only comes with a 10 micron paper filter but they had a 40 micron ss filter for it I got.

IMG_20110701_173106.jpg

IMG_20110701_173127.jpg

Use the SS screen. Paper filters and alcohol don't work together very well.