New Times: 9.95 @ 139

Originally posted by quickt
I did have the talk with Rob about the after market shifter did not do any good. ( his grandmother may need the car to go to the grocery store and she would not know how to work the shifter)
Yea, I left it in her capable hands while we're in Vegas. So if you see a blue hair streak fly by at about 140, that's my Granny.

Thanks again Lonnie.

My crazy idea, but just hear me out....

Rob, just the other day me and a friend who is also involved with turbo buicks were talking about GM High Tech Performance mag and the lack of any Stage II TRs in the mag and I got the thinking.... You have had your single turbo '98 LS1 Z28 Camaro featured in the mag (when it had the stock motor) and I always see your advertisement for LS1 Motorsports in the mag so I'm sure you know the editor of GMHTP (Johnny Hunkins) and I think it would be great if you had your '87 Stage II Limited Turbo-T featured in the mag keeping in mind that GMHTP likes to feature fast street cars and your Stage II Limited is definately a good example of a fast street car cause it has already ran 9.95 @139mph and it is still full weight with all the goodies (full interior, AC, heat, etc.) and it also has a 200-4R OD tranny.... From looking at the pics on your website the car is magazine quality (very clean looking stock appearing "mint" car) and I'm sure you could provide them with dyno sheets, timeslips, pics, and a build sheet of the car along with the history of the car (from when it was running 11's with bolt-ons with the stock block to the present of the Stage II motor and its 9 second pass) for a very good write up and this would make the silent majority of TR guys on and off this board happy campers:cool: Call me crazy, but your Stage II car would look great in GMHTP mag!!!:) :D

Brick,

That would cost Rob a lotta money, Johnny H. doesn't feature a car for an advertizer unless you bend over backwards and then some to make it happen. Has to have rims that are of his choice, paint has to perfect, and most importantly, you better run one BIG add! Not to mention lots of free work.
been there and done that...

I just went out with Johnny last night. He said he would definitely do a feature on the Buick. Now I'll see if I can hold him to his word.

Jack, I already spent a ton of money with GMHTP. Didn't you notice the 1/2 page color ad, and the Calendar in this months' issue? And I haven't had any free ink in over a year!

Johnny told me he needed an LS1 Camaro for a feature. So I was trying to get him to do a feature on the customer's car we have at our shop right now. It's a black convertible Z, roll bar, 17x11 wheels, lowered, built A4 tranny, Moser 12 bolt, and we're installing our turbo kit on it right now. He said we would need to paint yellow SS stripes down the hood and trunk if we wanted him to do it. I passed. I told him I wasn't into the "bumblebee" look....:rolleyes: So I do know what you mean...

Rob's Stage II TR in GMHTP mag....

Jack, I know what you're saying cause I've heard the same things about Johnny H., but I hope Rob can get his Stage II TR in the mag cause it really is a bad ass very fast street car and IMHO it's a sleeper with the plain jane interior, column shifter, etc. and that along with how clean it is would make it a great car to see in GMHTP!!!:cool:

Rob, if Johnny is going to seriously feature your Buick please let all of us on TB.com know about it and what issue it will be in this way we can make it a best seller:):D

Rob,

I had a great time at Crazy Horse Too. We need to go to Vegas more often, and not for business if you know what I mean! Do you want me to come to Louisville to shoot the TR? Or do you want to meet me deep in the south so we can do this before spring breaks?

BTW, thanks for your help with the calendar. Without the ad, we wouldn't have had one.

Call me tomorrow and we can discuss it. You've got my cell phone #. Personally, I'd like to do something pretty soon, before I blow it up. :)

p.s. I don't have to paint orange racing stripes on it first or anything, do I?

You know I just realized something after noticing that Mr Hunkins had posted here.

Mr Hunkins was in Vegas for the SEMA show. I know it was a big show, it always is.

What is starting to puzzle me is this. Why did you not come by the track for the Buick event?

I am sure you are well aware of how many Buick owners read GMHTP. Why did you not at least swing by on Saturday?

Let me get to the point. There have been a number of posts here on the board trying to get GMHTP to get off the East Coast and cover some of the Buicks out here on the WEST Coast. I have heard ( and can understand ) that when there is not enough money in the budget, it can't be done. Here you were at the SEMA show and you could not get to the track? It is 30 miles away. You could not have asked for a better opportunity to cover this. And it would have been FREE.

Hell, I would have picked you up from your hotel and driven you out there myself. You had cars from WA, ID, CO, AZ,NM and CA.
There were at least 40 cars there and the time slips varied from 14 seconds down to 7's.

I am sure that even if you did not have a camera we could have taken the pics for you.

Maybe you had other engagements, you could not make it. I dont know.

If you did know about it and just decided not to show up. That is too bad.

We on the West Coast read your magazine too.

Hey Johnny...where are you? The car is Zaino'd and ready :).

Looking for opinions here:

I have a set of Convo Pro's for the Buick too. But I've just been running the car in sleeper mode with the stock wheels. I know the Convo Pro's make the car look better, but which would you guys rather see in a GMHTP feature?

I tend to lean towards the stock wheels, since that fits the theme of the car. How 'bout you all?

Thanks.

I would keep the stock wheels cause it just adds to that sleeper theme.... it's just a plain jane V6 Regal that Granny drives!;) :D
On the other hand if Johnny wants you to use the Convo Pro's and won't feature the car with the stockers please put the Convo Pro's on cause I really want to see your TR in GMHTP :) :cool:

Well...it's been a week now since Johnny's post, and I have yet to hear from him. What's up Johnny? Are we still gonna shoot this car or what?

I want to do it before I have the cage put in. I plan on doing that in January.

As far as the wheels, I decided to go with the stock appearing. I bought the 8.5" wheels pictured here: http://members.aol.com/tta1989/8-5x15.jpg
and had the guy go ahead and make me some 7" wheels to match. I should have them in about a week.

That way, I should be able to get a good size tire on the back. Maybe pull a 9.7 or 9.8 next time out. :)

Well, it looks like Johnny came through! He got sick with Pneumonia while he was at SEMA, which was why he's been off the boards for a while.
Anyway, I talked to Johnny Monday, and we are all set to do a feature on the Buick next month in Texas. I think he said it'll be in the July issue (?) of GMHTP.

I've already installed the roll bar (I know..6pts isn't legal for 9's), and it has removeable side bars and crossbar. I just couldn't go with a 10pt cage for no more than I plan on tracking this car. I feel bad enough as it is with the car being so rare and all (or at least I think it's rare...).

Keep your eyes open for the feature....I'm sure Johnny will do some great photography work as usual. Just keep in mind, they always look better in pictures....

friend

Rob, I guess you and I have a mutual friend in Robert (Bob) Neese. Did you ever meet that little wormy thumb sucker? The reason I ask is that he gave me an extra large LS1 Motorsport tee shirt that I assume he conned you out of.

Lee, yes we do have a mutual friend. Bob is a great guy. And yes, I did get to meet him too. I actually met him by accident standing in line at the PRI trade show.
I had only ever spoken to him on the phone, but his voice is unmistakeable!

We've all got to get together at one of the Buick events this year.

Have a good weekend!

hummmm Dude are you the NHRA internet tech inspector or just a guy that likes to be an ass? Not that it is any of your business but Rob is working on making his car legal for the ET he runs.

I know where I WON'T be buying a trans!

LOL! Internet tech inspector? Nope! Just a guy that thinks Rob is an idiot for not building up his rearend before running those times.

Lonnie, I don't give a flying fack what Rob does to his car to make it legal. I'm talking about common sense and taking others into consideration. If Rob wants to drive off a cliff...that's his choice. But if he drives through a crowd of innocent bystanders on the way over the cliff...that's another story.

Are you running stock c-clip axles on the GN, Lonnie?

You're total disregard for everyone's safety, insofar as Rob's car is concerned, is enough to convince me NOT to buy anything from you. I can only imagine what sort of short cuts YOU take to make something fast...but not safe!

And Lonnie, Rob's car, as it sits, isn't even legal to run an 11 let alone safe to run a 9!

Re: I know where I WON'T be buying a trans!

Originally posted by alilol6
LOL! Internet tech inspector? Nope! Just a guy that thinks Rob is an idiot for not building up his rearend before running those times.

Lonnie, I don't give a flying fack what Rob does to his car to make it legal. I'm talking about common sense and taking others into consideration. If Rob wants to drive off a cliff...that's his choice. But if he drives through a crowd of innocent bystanders on the way over the cliff...that's another story.

Are you running stock c-clip axles, Lonnie?

Yes I do have C-clip eliminators. My car is legal to run 9s. Why would you jump on a public thread that has nothing to do you and start crap? Why would you not confine your opinion to a private message or e-mail?

Re: I know where I WON'T be buying a trans!

It sure stinks to lose a potential customer. But its your right to spend your money where you choose.

"Why would you jump on a public thread that has nothing to do you and start crap"

Ummmm, because it's the public's safety(as well as Rob's...but that's his thang) that should be taken into consideration when doing idiotic things like trying to run a 9 with stock c-clip axles!