New te44 and 50lbs injecters = 15hp

CopGn

I was reading the latest High Tech article were a new te44 and 50lbs injecters were swapped in and not even 15 hp were seen. Now the new combo hasn't been dialed in but I still see this as very little gain for over $1,000 of my cash. Does this say the stock turbo is that good or the need to go to an even bigger turbo? Any thoughts?

Originally posted by CopGn
I was reading the latest High Tech article were a new te44 and 50lbs injecters were swapped in and not even 15 hp were seen. Now the new combo hasn't been dialed in but I still see this as very little gain for over $1,000 of my cash. Does this say the stock turbo is that good or the need to go to an even bigger turbo? Any thoughts?

I beleive I posted in another thread what the actual points of interest were in the article.

If you read carefully the car ran 3 mph faster at the same boost level............dont think you can do that with 15 extra hp?

I believe it to be about 30hp min. in real world drag test.

The individual also was totally maxed out with the stock turbo & stock injectors running an indicated 110-111% duty cycle. So he wanted to do something about it and he did.

The 50's were running at 80+% duty Cycle.-plenty left for more power. The 44 turbo isn't max out like his stocker was.

If you read to the end of the article he had bad shocks, and his transmission was flaring on the shifts.....not a good thing for performance comparision do you think?

Plenty of individuals running alot better with a properly tuned car with this combination. High to Mid 11's I'm sure.

1K well spent in my opinion. He will do much better when he gets the car tuning, shocks, trans issues, & launch technique resolved.

:cool:

Joe

I'll have to agree with ya Joe

dont go by one car and what they have the tune is the most of it

te-44 and 50's are well capable of mid 11's with the right tune

I had real good luck running Joes chips for 50's back when I had them ...I just plain outgrew 50's is only reason I switched

I run as fast as 127 mph trap speed on 50's and one of Joes race chips with my 70 turbo and in the 121 mph trap range with only a little ta-49 turbo

That's at pump gas boost levels. Largers turbos work better at higher boost levels. At 23 psi of boost there will be a much larger difference.

i run the 44 turbo along with 50's and let me tell you from experience...this combo will DESTROY a stock combo as far as seat of the pants feel...once you start running 20lbs or more on the te-44 you start to notice the huge difference between that and the stocker at 20 lbs...25 lbs on a te-44? forget about it! it will flat out destroy a stocker at that level...not many "street" driven cars will be able to keep up with you at that level...my car is scary fast and i haven't even done motor work yet!:D

So how much Hp and Torque average could be seen in the 20 to 23 pound range were the te44 is going to wake up?

So how much Hp and Torque average could be seen in the 20 to 23 pound range were the te44 is going to wake up?

At 23 psi it could be the difference 118 mph (TE44) and 113 mph(stocker). Run that through your favorite HP calculator and figure out the HP difference. Suffice to say its way more than 15 HP.

At equal boost levels my car picked up 5 MPH in both the 1/8 and 1/4 mile marks over a stocker with just 15k miles on it! As said before, the TE44 really comes alive from 23 psi on. My car seems to like 25 psi, and it goes like hell at this boost level on just 92 pump and alky injection. This turbo is a good all around work horse that takes abuse and keeps on puffing.