new summit weld lookalikes

matt87

was looking through my new summit today. they now sell an affordable cast aluminum wheel that looks exactly like welds pro-star and drag-lite. $89 for 15x4, $119 for 15x7 or 8 and $129 for 15x10. not bad for sure! ever priced centerlines lately? dam the price flew up on them!

FWIW, Weld recently filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy and sold its assets to American Racing. I wonder if AR is doing the rims for summit?

do these wheels weight the same and Weld Drag lights? if so I might have to buy some

i'm sure if you call summit they will know the weight. either way, its a plus for us!

Ive been told they are junk but a mustang dude is the person who told me about this so take it how you want :D

I saw those to and noticed that the 15X7's have a 4" backspace and the 15X8's have a 4.5" backspacing. Will this work on our cars? I have always been told the perfect fit is a 15X8 with a 4" backspace. Anyone know the answer?

ttypewe4jim said:
Ive been told they are junk but a mustang dude is the person who told me about this so take it how you want :D

Any specifics on what the meant by junk?

Dreamcar86 said:
I saw those to and noticed that the 15X7's have a 4" backspace and the 15X8's have a 4.5" backspacing. Will this work on our cars? I have always been told the perfect fit is a 15X8 with a 4" backspace. Anyone know the answer?

4.5 backspacing will still fit.

Turbo6Chicago said:
4.5 backspacing will still fit.

Depends on the tire you try and put on. I had 4.5" BS with a 26x11.5 ET (actual width 10.5) and it was no where close to fitting.

From my experience you can get away with a 4", but a 3.5" is preferred.

^^^Seems like every gbody is different. I have 15x8 wheels with a 4.5" bs. I run 28x10.5x15 mt ET Slick with no problems. My car is even lowered and the fender is not rolled.

DCVING 6 said:
Depends on the tire you try and put on. I had 4.5" BS with a 26x11.5 ET (actual width 10.5) and it was no where close to fitting.

From my experience you can get away with a 4", but a 3.5" is preferred.

Do you know if the 275/60 15 BF Goodrich drag radial will fit best on a 15 X 8 rim with 3.5 Back Spacing?

Dreamcar86 said:
Are the Jegs wheels aluminum or steel? Have you been satisfied with them? They sure look good.

Thanks. Hopfully I wont get booted off for have a monte on a buick site;)

They are aluminum, unlike cragars 'streetstars' I am really happy with them, personally, one cant tell a weld wheels from it unless it were right next to it, much better then the summit star wheels.

-Chris

350ci said:
Thanks. Hopfully I wont get booted off for have a monte on a buick site;)

They are aluminum, unlike cragars 'streetstars' I am really happy with them, personally, one cant tell a weld wheels from it unless it were right next to it, much better then the summit star wheels.

-Chris

Hey they are all GM products plus they all look good. Thank you for the feedback on the wheels. With the prices so high on aftermarket rims it is hard to find a good deal. Sometimes it just makes you wonder when you do see a good price if the quality is there.

Thanks again!

Shane

I know of 2 local cars ( mid/ high 10s) that had the front wheels crack after only a few passes at the track. altough the Welds used to also do that on the street some times also so I guess its sorta a two way street kinda deal :eek: :biggrin: