new start up

1987noblegn

Just tried to start motor after new cam an head install. I reset cam sensor because motor wouldn't fire. Then it fired ran for about 45 seconds and then just died. Now all car will do is just crank and no fire. Any ideas?

check your fuses. I popped the bottom left fuse " ecm/ign " the other day and it drove me crazy. someone else is having a similar problem, maybe they will post their solution when they find it

still no.fire.

All fuses good. New coil pack.and ignition module still no spark. Fuel pump turns on every time key is turned. Pressure is at 38 with key on. I don't know what else to look forim about to pull out my hair

Check for fuel and spark.

This. Go back to the basics. And pull the injector harness when diagnosing or you'll end up like this

IMG950843.jpg

think i fould the culprit

I have no clue how this could of happened. The gear in the bottom of the cam sensor broke off. A couple of chips from gear and a thin washer might be lying in bottom of timing cover

I have no clue how this could of happened. The gear in the bottom of the cam sensor broke off. A couple of chips from gear and a thin washer might be lying in bottom of timing cover
What type of cam did you install? Roller, flat tappet? Did you use a cam button? Oil pump spinning ok? That sucks!! Phil.

218/218 flat tappet. New cam button. Oil pump spinning now. Not.sure if was before. I'm thinking I might of tapped on it too hard putting it in

if you when you say "Tapped on it" you're talking about the cam sensor then you did. I've never had to "tap" my cam sensor in. If it doesn't go in with gentle pressure (and a little rotation) I assume something is wrong and try again.

new engine

the last 2 motors I've done i had to work on the fitments of the cam sensor because of the great fitting of the timing chain cover

hind sight

In hindsight I think I tried to turn oil pump shaft so the cam sensor would go down and I couldn't. I'm in process of putting everything back together and I tried turning the oil pump shaft and it did turn. Whatever it was I'm gonna be real careful this time

good way to double check parts by beating them in , when they should normally slide right in. jmo.

Did you get all the chips and washer out? The bottom of the timing cover is the oil pan, I would be concerned as to why the gear broke. Like mentioned above, I never had to tap the cam sensor in, to have it fit, just a gentle push with a tad of rotation for the seal to engage/gears to mesh.

Chuck

This. Go back to the basics. And pull the injector harness when diagnosing or you'll end up like this

IMG950843.jpg

I'm assuming that's what a gas washed down cylinder looks like, the gas cleans the oil away and the rings don't like stroking "dry".

Chuck

still screwed up

All metal shavings and washers have been cleaned out. New cam sensor still will not go in gently. Only way it goes is pushing hard and turning crank counter clockwise. Once in cam sensor will not rotate. I have inspected new cam sensor it is the same as the old. I have a new timing cover but I had trouble installing old cam sensor in the old.timing cover. The oil pump shaft is currently out yet sensor won't go down. Wtf! All signs point to gear being on cam itself being slightly off but no one has ever heard of that

All metal shavings and washers have been cleaned out. New cam sensor still will not go in gently. Only way it goes is pushing hard and turning crank counter clockwise. Once in cam sensor will not rotate. I have inspected new cam sensor it is the same as the old. I have a new timing cover but I had trouble installing old cam sensor in the old.timing cover. The oil pump shaft is currently out yet sensor won't go down. Wtf! All signs point to gear being on cam itself being slightly off but no one has ever heard of that
Pull the cam out, see if there is something pushing it forward, like flashing on the cam thrust surface, oil galley plugs in the front of the block, etc. Sounds like the gears aren't meshing properly. Phil.

If you still have the old cam slide it in to see if it fits correctly. if it does, them it's the new cam. DON'T MIX THEM UP!

Process of elimination.

D