New rebuilt Cam Sensor -thanks GNS!

Heskahoka

Supporting Member
Just got back my rebuilt cam sensor from Scott at GNS Performance.
Shipping and rebuild only took a week for $75. Scott turned it around in one day and got it back fast.

cam sensor 1.jpg
cam sensor 2.jpg

It looks great and is one less thing to worry about in my rebuild. Note, I removed the cam sensor cap (electronics) before I sent it out.

Just wanted to thank Scott for the quick turnaround.

Attachments

• cam sensor 1.jpg
    cam sensor 1.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 261
  • cam sensor 2.jpg
    cam sensor 2.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 288
Your welcome Michael,

If you don't mind I would like to add some more info on your cam sensor and some examples of why it's a good idea that these get rebuilt.

Usually when your cam sensors come in to us they are all dirty and dingy from being in the car as long as they are so when we have the cam sensors striped down we throw them on the buffer to clean them up and make them look like new... and the results are in the pictures above!

Michael your cam sensor came in with 0.06 shaft play and some side to side shaft play - When we were done it had 0.02 -0.03 shaft play (which is normal).

Cam sensor pics 3.jpg Here is what the cam sensor shaft looked like when removed, Coked up oil residue...
cam sensor pics4.jpg Here it is cleaned up ready to be installed..

Cam sensor pics.jpg This is what happens due to the excessive heat that these things go through, The rubber o-ring turns hard as a rock and the sealing I'm sure suffers, the roll pin came out in pieces..

Cam sensor pics 2.jpg "This was not your shim washer" BUT this is what the bottom shim washer can end up looking like... ( This came off the cam sensor that was in MY car)... This either happened from excessive wear or when my bearings went the metal took out the shim washer too... It also could have been the cause of my bearing wear. Either way the grooves that were wore into this steel lower shim washer isn't good...

Michael, I am glad your happy and post back here if you notice a difference when you put it back in... I sure did when I swapped mine out!

Thanks for posting the detailed pics Scot.

I wonder if some aftermarket front covers have problems locating the cam sensor bore with respect to the cam gear. If these aren't in the right location then it could put a side load on the cam sensor.

I built one engine with an aftermarket front cover and the cam sensor took a lot of force to get the O-ring to seat. Shortly after getting the car on the road the cam sensor failed.

I'd be interested to know if others have experienced similar problems with aftermarket front covers.

Thanks,
-john

Thanks for posting the detailed pics Scot.

I wonder if some aftermarket front covers have problems locating the cam sensor bore with respect to the cam gear. If these aren't in the right location then it could put a side load on the cam sensor.

I built one engine with an aftermarket front cover and the cam sensor took a lot of force to get the O-ring to seat. Shortly after getting the car on the road the cam sensor failed.

I'd be interested to know if others have experienced similar problems with aftermarket front covers.

Thanks,
-john
John good point and I'm glad you brought this up..

I am sure there are a bunch out there that have been damaged like yours due to aftermarket front covers... I would guess since they put excessive side loads on the cam sensor that the Bronze bushings would take the brunt of that and wear out giving the cam sensor shaft excessive side to side play...

As we get these cam sensors in for a rebuild it's amazing to see the damage caused by numerous issues...