New Pypes 3" exhaust

So, Pypes emailed me back and said that their 3" kit was new to them, and they didn't know if it would clear the control arm braces ... Nick, or anyone else, do you have any idea?? Or, could someone with the 3" Pypes system installed measure how much room there is between the rear outboard corner of the muffler case and the lower control arm mounting bracket/bolt&nut?? Thanks in advance for any help folks could provide ...
John A, Turbohh

So, Pypes emailed me back and said that their 3" kit was new to them, and they didn't know if it would clear the control arm braces ... Nick, or anyone else, do you have any idea?? Or, could someone with the 3" Pypes system installed measure how much room there is between the rear outboard corner of the muffler case and the lower control arm mounting bracket/bolt&nut?? Thanks in advance for any help folks could provide ...
John A, Turbohh

Next week when I return home I can check this for you on my car with the 3" Pypes system.

Next week when I return home I can check this for you on my car with the 3" Pypes system.

Thank you, Nick ... I really appreciate that!! I just looked at Gbodyforum, and it looks like they will interfere as delivered.
John A, Turbohh

.............................. I just looked at Gbodyforum, and it looks like they will interfere as delivered.
John A, Turbohh

When I talked with Pypes last week, the production 3" dual exhaust systems are not yet in stock?

Nick,
They didn't tell me that ... Are you planning on carrying them once they come out??
John A, Turbohh

Here are some pics of the prototype 3" exhaust we installed
fullsizeoutput_3f.jpeg
IMG_2573.JPG
fullsizeoutput_40.jpeg
IMG_2581.JPG

Pitch,
Thanks for posting up the pictures ... It looks like there's quite a bit of room. I went ahead and ordered the more compact BMR style control arm braces, which should give me more clearance by the front lower mount. You say your install was the proto-type, I wonder if they'll make production changes from that ... Hopefully Nick can also give us all some more info when he has a chance on the fitment issues near the control arm mounting. BTW, great car!! I also have a similar style rear sway bar from Hellwig, so it's good to see that the Pypes kit clears that as well.
John A, Turbohh

Pitch,
Thanks for posting up the pictures ... It looks like there's quite a bit of room. I went ahead and ordered the more compact BMR style control arm braces, which should give me more clearance by the front lower mount. You say your install was the proto-type, I wonder if they'll make production changes from that ... Hopefully Nick can also give us all some more info when he has a chance on the fitment issues near the control arm mounting. BTW, great car!! I also have a similar style rear sway bar from Hellwig, so it's good to see that the Pypes kit clears that as well.
John A, Turbohh

This is the prototype on Nick's car. There is about 1/4-3/8 clearance around the springs and 1/8 by the HR Bar . There is enough room for lower control arm braces. I will get some pics after I install the brace tomorrow on the car tomorrow. Lyle

Okay .... Now I understand, LOL ... Thank you so much for taking time to post these pics of the clearances with this new exhaust kit. It looked like the clearance was tight, but doable around the springs and sway bar ... Looks like there might even be upper clearance room for a UMI shock tower brace as well ...
John A, Turbohh

I'm likely to replace my GN1 exhaust with this Pypes kit .... The Pypes kit looks like it fits much better and higher than my GN1 setup, especially at the mufflers. Compare the two, and you'll see that the Pypes y-pipe goes uphill a bit as it heads towards the mufflers. This puts the mufflers up higher so they don't hang so low under the frame, but does put them closer to the driveshaft. My car is lowered a bit, and I've always disliked how much the GN1 kit shows below the frame rails from the side. Also, the Pypes tailpipes seem to be tighter going over the axle tubes, and my GN1 kit isn't as tight, and prevents me from putting in a rear shock tower braces as well. I hope the production kits keep these nice features ... Not knocking the GN1 kit ... It looks gorgeous, and sounds good, but the fitment on my car wasn't up to my (picky) standards ...
John A, Turbohh

I'm likely to replace my GN1 exhaust with this Pypes kit .... The Pypes kit looks like it fits much better and higher than my GN1 setup, especially at the mufflers. Compare the two, and you'll see that the Pypes y-pipe goes uphill a bit as it heads towards the mufflers. This puts the mufflers up higher so they don't hang so low under the frame, but does put them closer to the driveshaft. My car is lowered a bit, and I've always disliked how much the GN1 kit shows below the frame rails from the side. Also, the Pypes tailpipes seem to be tighter going over the axle tubes, and my GN1 kit isn't as tight, and prevents me from putting in a rear shock tower braces as well. I hope the production kits keep these nice features ... Not knocking the GN1 kit ... It looks gorgeous, and sounds good, but the fitment on my car wasn't up to my (picky) standards ...
John A, Turbohh

My thoughts exactly.... I was thinking the same thing. I am more focused on how the tail pipe exits look. I am also concerned if it works with rear coil overs and the shock tower brace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are buying a GN1 system the tail pipes were redesigned a couple years ago and no longer use the factory hangers. I put the new tail pipes on my existing GN1 system and use the shock tower brace, rear coil overs and a pro touring Spohn rear bar and everything clears. Yes I do sell them at TR Custom Parts but I also run them. Not to mention they have the correct end cuts.

If you are buying a GN1 system the tail pipes were redesigned a couple years ago and no longer use the factory hangers. I put the new tail pipes on my existing GN1 system and use the shock tower brace, rear coil overs and a pro touring Spohn rear bar and everything clears. Yes I do sell them at TR Custom Parts but I also run them. Not to mention they have the correct end cuts.

Is there a way to buy just the updated tail pipes or would I need to purchase a new system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have a picture of the four bolt flange and it's opening? On the 2.5 inch version, exhaust flow is bottle-necked at this flange. Hopefully, on this new setup they enlarged the opening for us guys with 3.5 inch and larger downpipes.