New proud hot air owner...

Well I double fingered my key board and lost my reply. Hear we go again.
Right side spark plugs are a pain. I have changed mine, many time's without removing the up pipe. You need a variety of extensions from 1" up to 6" and universals. Spark plug socket with a universal comes in handy. I have used the NAPA wires before and to me they were just as good as any, I have used. At this time I have ACCEL 8.8.

The Napa ones are the only ones I have found besides the Kirban look alike wires that have had the long large diameter boots. All the other ones I have tried are shorter boots which make it hard to grab at them on the passenger side.

I ordered ones from autozone today.I think there duralast.Lifetime warrenty...I cant wait to drive this thing.I just hope the turbo is alright.

I agree with most of the posting that say first things first, get it running and try to get it running as good as you can. Then make your changes/ adjustments ONE at a time untill you think it is running better then try your next adjustment/ change. Don't do several things to it then find it is not running right and have to go back and undo several things until you find what was wrong. Go slow, one thing at a time.

What kind of plugs did you put in and what did you gap them at?

wow 44's that pretty hot. once you get it running take those out and put some NGK UR5's

congrats!

congrats on the score!

looks good especially considering it was sitting in a field for a few years. from the pics, the interior looks really nice. good find! :cool:

Rob

So why are the 44s to hot?I havnt ran them yet.If you think i should use a diffrent plug i can pull them and exchange them.Thanks rob,Im real excited about the car.I'm going with the fiberglass bumpersand probably having it painted black..Its going to be the poor mans GN..

wow 44's that pretty hot. once you get it running take those out and put some NGK UR5's

Those arent hot, That is what is recomended to be run in these cars per the GM shop manuals. I would stay away from running anything other than AC/Delco plugs in your car. I have tried numerous different plugs in my cars as well have heard of others trying various others only to go back to Ac/Delco. Stick with your 44's right now and set the gap on them at .035 as that is what is recomended for a stock 85. Do not listen to what the parts stores tell you as their computers will have you gap anywhere from .045-.060 which is way to much. If you have problems after you get it running good on the 44's and the .035 then you can first try to fix with a decrease in gap to say .032, and then if that doesnt work go to a different temp AC/Delco plug. I currently have 44's in all three of my cars set at .032 and they all have exhaust, air, and chip work done to them and they run just fine.

A correction to my above post. The correct AC/Delco plugs you should be running are R44TS's not just the 44's. When you said 44's I figured you meant the R44TS's but then I got to thinking and figured that you might just be running plain 44's. HTH

r44ts is what im running.I gapped them to 035..I'm going crazy trying to find a pump and hot wire kit.Anyone have one forsale?

Thats a good place to start with the plugs. Check ebay for the pump as I am always seeing the walbro ones on there. As for the hotwire get it directly from Caspers Electronics, or from one of the vendors that carries it here on the board.

44ts will be fine for your basically stock car.Once you start modding and cranking boost much past stock levels you'll want to go to 43ts or 42ts for high boost.

A few other things-

-The stock GN ignition will take you farther than you'll probably need to go.Spend the $$ somewhere else.If your 84 craps out just swap in 87 or type II.Cheap,easy and effective:cool: .

-Look at the vendors list on the home page,someone will have the Walbro.

-Turbo motors don't like chambered mufflers,so when you go to change your exhaust get something straight thru.

-Leave the 3.42's in the ass end,and check the trunk lid sticker for the G80 code.That's posi and you're gonna need it.:D

What do you recommend as far as exhaust goes?I'm guessing flows are not the way to go with these cars.Is it better to keep one muffler or maybe go with 2 dynomax race mufflers?

What do you guys think of the ultrachip?I got my poston catalog and that looks like a good upgrade with just a stock turbo.I dont think 195.00 is to bad of a price either.

I'm running ATR 3" single.

I know the Hooker dual exhaust is a low buck favorite.

Run a "test pipe";) in place of your catalytic convertor if possible.

One more thing,you'll want to get an accufab adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

I'd pass on the generic chips.Leave your stocker in for now and add the other parts we're talking about and tune it a bit.Then have Eric ( TurboTweak Home ) burn you a chip specifically for your combo.

You could always do what I did. I eliminated the muffler on my car all together. Where the stock exhaust goes over the axle is where I had it cut at, and then I just ran pipe straight out at the stock location. With a turbo car you can get away without a muffler as the turbo acts as one and helps quiet things down. Of coarse though the bigger the turbo the louder it will get. I even eliminated the catalytic convertor, and its still not too loud. It just has a nice mean sound now.