Round table discussion about what it cost to convert a hot air with decent parts

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
I am doing a hot air conversion for a buddy of mine. I took some time over the past few days looking at conversion cost. I am able to find most if not all the "nuts and bolts" AKA brackets, cables, fittings, bolts, pulleys, lines, pumps, and harnesses, intake, throttle body, fuel lines, for the build. I will be looking at buying all new or lightly used:

Down Pipe
Headers
Turbo
Injectors and chip
CAI
Electric Fans
Turbo saver
Intercooler
New alt
Belts, hoses, and gaskets

I come up with a budget of roughly $5500 including labor for the entire build. This also includes me powder coating all the items and making everything purdy.

Sound close?? Appox, what were your costs during conversion?

I know my performance conversion was 3x this amount, but large turbo, E85, Fast, ported everything, New harnesses, etc.

Last edited:
I can help you with some of that if you need parts. I have IC, Stock fans,turbo, possibly an alternator and headers. I know this post isn't looking for parts, but these are parts I collected when I was going to convert my 85 TType. I have now decided to go with an LSX conversion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill be in touch, He is looking for the pass header, cross over, turbo with no play, and maybe alternator, I know I have used a pontiac transport alt 140 amp with success for only $125$ or so. PM me what you are wanting for it and I will let him know. We are going parts shopping over to Tommy Robinson's compound tonight. He has a ton of it.

Why would you need to use the Pontiac alt when you can purchase a brand new AC Delco from Highway Stars for $129.

Use the stock hotair turbo..

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

If this was my car, and I wanted to convert to a 86-87 intercooled setup. I wouldn't try and build Frankenstein. I would buy a complete engine and wiring harness that would make things much easier, no guess work, no headaches. Or find a guy selling a shit can that is running with everything on it. Take what you need, and sell the rest. If you look carefully, these things pop up every now and then, and I can see you achieving your goals with less headaches and money spent. Building something always costs more money, buying something that is done already makes the transition less time consuming.

If this was my car, and I wanted to convert to a 86-87 intercooled setup. I wouldn't try and build Frankenstein. I would buy a complete engine and wiring harness that would make things much easier, no guess work, no headaches. Or find a guy selling a shit can that is running with everything on it. Take what you need, and sell the rest. If you look carefully, these things pop up every now and then, and I can see you achieving your goals with less headaches and money spent. Building something always costs more money, buying something that is done already makes the transition less time consuming.
This and even with this its still a lot of work. Firewall connection, fuel lines, dash harness, fan, exhaust, and a bunch of other small stuff that adds up fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the thing, it is NOT my car. I have already done mine. My buddy has a COMPLETELY restored hot air car, that is cherry. He is missing the performance aspect of the car. We have ALL the small bullshit (brackets, harnesses, steering components, ac components, lines, that was achieved for less than 1k. The other stuff is the expense, the turbo, intercooler, big performance stuff that regardless of your car you would end up replacing anyways right? I dont think a person seeking a nicer performance build would be able to take advantage of used, old basic stock intercooled parts. We have converted much of the electronics already, and the exhaust is new from the DP back. Skyler is not interested in buying a complete car and having to deal with the left over parts, and my time doesnt allow me anymore either.