New prospective 86 GN owner

Kadorja

Hey everybody. Name's Jeff and I'm really interested in buying an 86 Grand National once I get off of deployment in 7 months (long time I know).

I currently have a 08 Vette with a procharger and loads of other go fast/break often goodies, 04 Harley Road King and I'll be getting my 06 Mustang GT back.

IMG_20120324_194618.jpg

I'd like to trade the Mustang for a GN straight up if possible. Car is putting down 340whp with a nice cam, solid suspension work (it hooks), wheels/tires that look great and the best part a 6 speed manual, dual disk clutch and one piece driveshaft. Runs great and has plenty of cosmetic mods as well. Granted it's still a Mustang ;)

IMG_20120105_110211.jpg

Anyways I figured with those mods I could afford to trade with a fairly clean 86 GN considering the car stock still goes for around $16k.

I have been reading up on GN's lately and following some people on youtube and of course the threads on here but what major things should I look out for? I've read up on the trim and engine codes to make sure it's a legit GN but is there anything else I should keep an eye on? How well do they hold up to daily use. I ride the bike when the weather is nice and I would like to keep driving the Vette on colder days but most often I will probably be pulling out the old Buick and listening to that turbo spool.

Also what small modifications can I do to the car to get it running a little better and with more power. I'm not looking to keep up with the Vette or anything modern but I have seen some easy stuff like polishing up the intake, meth injection (also have it on the Vette) and a better air to air intercooler just to name a few.

Anyways thanks for the help guys. I'll probably be lurking on the forums for a while on deployment and feel free to show me any GNs for sale in North Florida or point someone in my direction looking for a trade.

Looking into it I may look for a hot air GN as well. I've had my share of alcohol injection experience and I wouldn't mind having a kit installed. Are there any good turbo kits for the GNs? I saw a article on an 87 that was pushing over 400 ft-lbs to the wheels with a few mods. I know the 87s had the most power from the factory but that's impressive numbers for sure.

Jeff,
First off. Thank you for your service. What branch are you in? Where are you deployed? Lots of military and Vets here:). 7 months will go by quicker than you think. You'll be home in time for some cool air and good track temps;).
If your looking for a simple mod to make an 86-87 Turbo Buick accelerate like an 08 Vette, the only one that comes to mind is to leave the parking brake on.:D
Seriously, These things did 13s from the factory. Race gas, chip and a good tire and you're in the twelves. A couple thousand bucks later and elevens are the norms.
Take your time, and do your homework. Don't get too much of a fixer-upper. It'll nickel and dime you to death. Let us know if you have any questions.

Welcome to the site.:)
Mike Barnard

Jeff,
First off. Thank you for your service. What branch are you in? Where are you deployed? Lots of military and Vets here:). 7 months will go by quicker than you think. You'll be home in time for some cool air and good track temps;).
If your looking for a simple mod to make an 86-87 Turbo Buick accelerate like an 08 Vette, the only one that comes to mind is to leave the parking brake on.:D
Seriously, These things did 13s from the factory. Race gas, chip and a good tire and you're in the twelves. A couple thousand bucks later and elevens are the norms.
Take your time, and do your homework. Don't get too much of a fixer-upper. It'll nickel and dime you to death. Let us know if you have any questions.

Welcome to the site.:)
Mike Barnard
I'm in the Navy and I'm headed to Japan. Should be fun but 7 months is a little longer than normal and we have a whole new aircraft to deal with so it will be interesting.

I'm definitely not trying to make the GN keep up with my Vette by any means. I'm sure with slicks and a good suspension setup my car would be low 10s and maybe even 9's but it wouldn't hold up long on the stock drivetrain.

Just looking for a fun car that I wouldn't mind driving around a tad more than the Vette when the weather isn't perfect.