New owner questions

Travis,

I would have kept posting if I knew anyone cared to read about it. I kinda figured the guys on here were getting sick of seeing all of my posts I had with questions and really long posts. There's not too much going on it old Illinois, weather is starting to get better good for driving the buick once I get it going. I think I'm going up to Chicago this weekend for the Chicagoland Buick Club's dyno run, and I really want to get the GN going and take it up there this weekend. If not I'll still have fun watching.

Well the wierd thing is, I've used over 5 gallons of cheap oil just to check my oil consistency and now it looks perfectly fine. I top engine cleaned it and motor flushed it and now everything there looks good. I took it on a drive the other day and it was still doing the same thing, sputtering and cutting out on accelration. But, I turned the alky point on pretty low (around 5# or more) and gave it gas enough to build that amount of boost and the car ran pretty good with 1* or less of knock. When I turned the alky off the car would again sputter and surge. So I was thinking bad injector. I start it up yesterday morning, it runs for maybe 15 seconds and dies; try to start it again and it won't run at all. Look at my fuel pressure and it's below 20. The pump won't prime or build and pressure now. Appararently my pump took a crap on me, so that makes me believe that was my whole problem in the first place. I just ordered a walbro 340 kit from Racetronix and should have that in by the end of the week. Hopefully that solves my problem. I guess I should have attempted to test drive the car more before I started tearing it apart, but with the oil looking the way it did I got freaked out. I wonder if there is any possibility of the front cover gasket leaking and letting coolant into the oil.

Also, I just traded my MSD DIS4 for a BGC stretch IC, bought a BSTC boost controller and rebuilt turbo center section. That's about it for right now, I can't wait to get her back on the road. Then I'll probably get pulled over for the limo tinted windows. Hopefully not.

thanks
Dan

I haven't kept up with this thread, so this may have been addressed, but your problem sure sounds like a MAF related failure.

That or ignition module. But a failed module wouldn't have caused the high BLM originally discussed.

jay jackson tb?

hey dude, did you see what DCVING 6 wrote about the jay jackson throttle body? sounds fishy, maybe you should look into it. but, keep us posted on the 340 install.

we plan on taking the GN up to illinois late summer. after we make our move to north texas. since my sister lives in peoria, we should go for a cruise. i'm sure you'll be up and running by then.

take it easy.

travis

Yea, I saw what DVVING6 wrote. Since my pump totally crapped out the other day I'm figuring that'll be most of my problem. I'm finishing rebuilding the turbo today and getting my new intercooler installed and just gotta wait for that new pump to come in. If my problem is not solved there I'm going to have to take it to a local guy who's running low 11's and pay him to fix it for me. My parents are running out of patience with me on this and I really need to get it back on the road. Even if that does happen I have a lot of satisfaction with myself on how much I've done with the car. After I get this thing running good It should tear some ass, I'm really looking forward to those 12 second passes down the strip.

That would be awesome if we got together and drove the GN's around this summer. I'll be moving up to Chicago in June or July for UTI, but it's not even a three hour drive and I'll have no problems comming back on the weekends. I plan on having the car going this weekend or next week at the latest. I've had the car for a month and only got to drive it 5 or 6 days, I'm really urging to take it out. Funny thing is, the other GN I had lasted for 4 days and this one lasted 5 or 6 but that's including the 1200+ mile trip home from Florida. I didnt' even get to drive the other one 1000 miles before it totally junked out. At least this one is in better shape than that one was.

later
Dan

tell your parents to chill...:cool: they must not be car fanatics.

i'll definately look you up this summer. i'm sure there's a few car shows and cruise-ins that we can hit.

i know exactly how you feel about not being able to drive the GN. this car is "our" car, but the wife calls it her car. so, i have to fight to drive it. my poor truck doesn't get any attention anymore. i'm trying to find a cheaper GN for me, so i can through some high-end parts at it, and i won't feel bad that i took an all original gem and went and modified it. know what i mean. i might even look for a t-type. know of any for cheap? take it easy.

let me know how things turn out.