New Old Car

Good news!

I took my car to a local annual car show (I've Been there every year for the last five) and got told I had the worst looking car in the show!

I did end up putting a caliper on the front.

I created a custom exhaust from the down pipe to the axle, 2 3/4" with a welded thrush, It sounds better that before.

Now with the new manifolds on, they came with a new butterfly valve on the driverside, where do I hook the vaccum line up, the rubber was all rotted away.

Screw the butterfly valve. knock it out. It will kill spool, especially when it falls apart and closes of the driver's side manifold like mine did

Good news!

I took my car to a local annual car show (I've Been there every year for the last five) and got told I had the worst looking car in the show!

I created a custom exhaust from the down pipe to the axle, 2 3/4" with a welded thrush, It sounds better that before.

Now with the new manifolds on, they came with a new butterfly valve on the driverside, where do I hook the vaccum line up, the rubber was all rotted away.

wow people are mean. i would have slaped the person who told me that.

Screw the butterfly valve. knock it out. It will kill spool, especially when it falls apart and closes of the driver's side manifold like mine did
mine is removed and the holes welded shut. i t was even working when I dealeted it its not if it goes out its when and where it breaks.

wow people are mean. i would have slaped the person who told me that.

x2... I could see if it was a riced out Honda or something. I took mine to cruises when it was really bad, way worse than yours... I never took it to car shows tho:biggrin:

while you all are talking about slapping people, id be cleanin blood off my hands.. lol, Ive taken my car to a show and some loved it, and some hated, you know what ***k em, its YOUR car. Be proud of what you drive and drive it with pride. I may drive ugly cars, but you better believe i drive with my windows down when i can get em down, music up, and one hand on the wheel, leanin to the side.. lol

Who cares what other people think about your car as long as you like thats all that matters. I personnally like your car think it has tons of potential take it to the local buick show they will love trust me they love mine. Mike

Good news!

My car is way worse looking than yours. I took mine to a few shows. I always had to park in the back but I always had handfull of people around my car at all times wanting to know about it and telling me how cool it is. One guy that didn't know what it was asked if it was a rat rod LOL!

Local Buick Show? Point me In a direction.

I didn't mind the tard bucket who said that, seeing how he was wiping down a 71 challanger that had 40000 on it.

All but my Cutlass are driven, driven hard, rusty, and beat up. Its all about the drivetrain. My pickup has a $45 Paint Job. (tractor supply implement paint, this car may get the same treatment)

I have been looking at both those sites and not finding some of my answers, i.e. why I ask.

After reading the Before Black page about exhaust manifolds, I'm slightly confused.

The title says 78, I'll check the vin and build code, but The manifolds I got from a fellow member were 79-80s. They bolted on the car just fine. Were that 78 heads that different or am I going to have to tear this motor down and measure and confirm what I have?

The ports are simular but the position on the head is different as well as the actual size of the port. They may work but you need to compare the port size of the gasket to make sure.

Get a book called V-6 performance by Pat Ganahl. It will help tremendously with what you are doing.

'79 stuff will bolt to '78 heads. Just that the '78's are smaller.

on the left is a 78, on the right is the later intake. see the difference in the ports? i have a nice powdercoated 78 cast iron intake for sale also. :biggrin:

Attachments

• SDC10024.jpg
    SDC10024.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 95
Get a book called V-6 performance by Pat Ganahl. It will help tremendously with what you are doing.

'79 stuff will bolt to '78 heads. Just that the '78's are smaller.

Well yes, and no Rich. The intakes may physically bolt on but there's a port missalignment. That in itself won't allow the intakes to swap. The exhaust may swap but I won't garentee the crossover to fit either.

If you look at the pic Matt posted you'll notice where the siameesed ports are and they don't cover the same area. The high port intake is much taller overall and it will cause a vacuum leak.:redface:

Well yes, and no Rich. The intakes may physically bolt on but there's a port missalignment. That in itself won't allow the intakes to swap. The exhaust may swap but I won't garentee the crossover to fit either.

If you look at the pic Matt posted you'll notice where the siameesed ports are and they don't cover the same area. The high port intake is much taller overall and it will cause a vacuum leak.:redface:

Which is all why I suggested the book. I think it's a worthwhile investment.

Erl Leak

I have a bigger problem now.

Oil is leaking out of the back of the turbo, down the back of the motor.
I'm losing enough to have to put a quart in every two days of driving.

I can't see real good back there, is there an easy fix?

Unfortunately you'll need to remove the turbo to see it better. At the rate you're talking about it sounds like the drain pipe has split or come out of the intake.

Theres a chance that your oil feed line is cracked or loose. Or that the drain line is cracked. I'd think the seals are OK inside, as it would go through the motor if it was leaking that bad, unless the O ring on the cold side is cracked and its just dumping copious amounts of oil out, but I doubt thats the case.

Sounds like the drain tube gasket or more likely, the rubber boot that it fits into in the intake manifold has given up the ghost.