New Neon? Not bad............

Just read the C&D magazine with the econobox comparo when it arrived at my office this morning. It is a great car for what it was designed to accomplish....a domestic alternative for the rice crowd. In the end though its still got the crappy Neon build quality that will make me pass. Having had a 2001 Neon for a winter beater a couple of years ago, I can only imagine how that thing will rattle after a year or so of ownership.

Still get's my thumbs up. If I was 15 years younger it would be near the top of my "realistic" car wishlist.

Yeah, I hear you. I applaud Dodge for the effort though. For $19,000 this car will go over 150 top end, probably run into the 13's with a littlle tweaking, and get over 30 mpg. But, it is still a NEON! Maybe they can get the quality up a little.

102 mph in the quarter? Whew! I bet simple mods puts this thing at 110 mph easy! It's not my style but It's about time an American car company built something to kick those Japs at their own game! Now if they would just build turbocharged rear drive cars again....

I've sat in one and the seats (which are borrow form the viper) are extremely comfortable. The overall quality was so/so - it's a Neon. But who cares - this thing is alky, tires and boost away from 12's.

There was one last saturday running at our race track in utah and it ran a 14.54 @97mph pure stock right down the the air filter and thats at an alttitude of 4500 ft.not to bad for a neon.

There are some already in the 12's. I have seen a video of one from somewhere around here and it ran a 12.93 @ 106 i think. It had slicks, 3 inch down pipe, no cat, upgraded up pipe, home made boost controller turned to 16 psi. I ran pretty good i think.

as they say it is the fastest car you can buy for under 20k

i love all turbo cars...this neon is sweet

ok buick time for you guys to bring back a RWD turbo car!!! yeah right...at least GM is putting the buick S/C 3.8's in the monte carlo ss and impala ss next year...

It's about time an American car company built something to kick those Japs at their own game!
Got any idea how much of that is Jap?

How much of what? The turbo Neon?? The turbo is a Mitsu.. Thats about it..

We had a 95 Neon for years and it never let us down. I think the build quality is not as bad as some thing on the Neons. If ya take care of em they will last long time... Just like any Japanese car.

Originally posted by FlyinGN
How much of what? The turbo Neon?? The turbo is a Mitsu.. Thats about it..

We had a 95 Neon for years and it never let us down. I think the build quality is not as bad as some thing on the Neons. If ya take care of em they will last long time... Just like any Japanese car.

I don't doubt the car rocks mechanically. That's obvious. I wa wondering about the rest of the car. The body, fit and finish, how much will hard driving make this car rattle. BUT hey, what do want for 19k........a BMW? Still sounds like a pretty good buy to me.:cool:

The bang for the buck factor is huge on that car, even without the potential for mods that surely exists it tops any comparably priced imports.

I saw one being taken through a road course on TV (Motorweek?) and the drivers were impressed.

Too bad GM isn't making vehicles like this... I hope the SRT sells and provides some motivation for the general to get back on track...

-S.