new motor

scottk

How many of you guys did not retorque your head gaskets after a couple of heat cycles? I have fel-pro 1007 gaskets and not looking forward to a retorque

I went ahead and spent the money on Cometics for my 4.1 build I'm doing and they told me to retorque the gaskets three times with at least 8 hours between cycles before firing the motor. Real easy to do while the motor is on the engine stand, not in the car. I just offer that to you even though you are using another type gasket to illustrate how many different ways people seem to use and most seem to work. I personally like to follow what the manufacturer suggests unless there's agreement on something contrary by several of the very experienced guys on this board, which I am not.:D
Hope that offers you something helpful.
MLH

I have different gaskets than you, but I did one heat cycle then one retorque. It's not really that hard to do in the car. But I'm a "Kanic" by trade so.... It does make you feel a little safer when you lean on it.

Well i got the motor broke down,headers ,alternator ,valve covers,turbo, the back bolts look alittle scary:)

I've got roller rockers!should i take those off? Ive got a 3/8 drive tq wrench
you may need to get a straight shot on the bolts. you have come this far, take your time, run the valves and be done with right the first time. its worth it in the end!

Ive got the heads retorqued! Not as bad as i thought it would be.

I would assume that you did get some of the nuts or bolts to turn tighter? If so you should feel good about what you just did. I did not retighten my nuts(studs installed) after a heat cycle, however I did let them sit 24 hrs at 70 lbs and then retorqued to 73 lbs with molly.

Chuck

I really dont know if they are anytighter! Ibacked the nuts off then retorqed them.I put 200 miles on the motor before the retorque