New motor with bottom end noise

He started working on them with his dad when he was about 8. So yes it has been about 20 years of working on these cars. And you didn't see me up at the track 2 weeks ago. My regal went a 12.66 with 108k miles on it then it did hurt the motor when he ran it. But we knew it was just a matter of time.

sucks about the motor ! Ya i never had a chance to meet you in person but my sister says your a nice guy . you should come racing with us some time when we do a track rental , we have a good group of people .Shawn

Your sister seems very nice as well. Talk to her at the track and car shows whenever we are at the same place. I went racing with u guys last year in quaker city. I had the two toned 2010 camaro

Sorry, meant Jason. It is just funny. I have been dealing with Weber for years as well as alot of other guys in the area, none of which have had any problems. Many engines in the 8's and 9's together for years. Then you guys manage to kill one in 38 miles. Just from what I have read and heard, you guys know little. You like to talk like you know alot.
I work on people's Buicks on a weekly basis and don't claim to be North Ridgeville's #1 Buick mechanic.
I think someone has a phd in story fabrication
i realize they built faster motors but that doesnt mean they couldnt have made a mistake. the customer get tbe benifit of the doubt if its really as unclear as it is in this case.. I think they rushed at the end becasue they dragged their feet so long and were way past the date they promised to him.. You know what they say dont but a car made on monday or friday...looks like he got a friday motor. Doctors make mistakes, janinitors make mistake and ENGINE BUILDERS MAKE MISTAKES!!!

heres some questions that should be addressed

arent you suppose to use assembly lube on the bearings?
isnt this there to aide in the first starting of the motor?
are you going to say in 20 seconds after a motor fires that its going to wipe out bearings if it wasnt primed?

what this looks like to be is a mistake of tolerance to be had. maybe the builder that day had an off day and made a mistake. things happen

but are you honestly going to sit there and BS about how the priming is going to effect it that bad?

LS motors dont even get primed with a drill, you do it by rotating the motor over viva the starter to build pressure. In these applications good assembly lube is used. Ive never had issues with Ls motors dying after first fire with this method.

so with a buick it takes how long to prime the motor viva a drill? vs say 30 seconds of rotating of the crank viva a starter on a ls

my point isnt to compare a LS to a buick. its the fact that your saying it starved for oil, which is possible, pump failure, silcone in the pick up tube, metal shavings from the machine work in the passages

now you may get some light scores on a bearing from not priming but enough to wipe a motor out? sorry this is from clearances and now that the motor is trashed no one can say other wise what is the truth.

when this motor was built did it come with a build sheet?

in the end the weber ppl are going to stand up for that company, the stagemonster ppl are going to stand by his side. then you have the rest of site which is going to be neutral

weber wont be used again and stagemonster will move on with bad taste in his mouth.

Jay theres a local guy starting to really make a name for himself in the assembling of motors. ill get you in contact with him

When i picked up the motor and asked for a build sheet and bill said that they did not do that or had any of it writen down and when i Talked to Quip6 he said that he got a sheet with all his clearences and specs when he got his short block from them. At this point the no warranty thing on there recipt is working for them and thats the bottom line. Like i said before when i have the time i have a place that will do the machineing with me there and will also show me what realy happened and wont b.s. me. I not saying that it didnt starve for oil but it wasnt from prime sonething had to block that passage. Also it being number 4 which is in the center of the motor why didnt it waist one of the end bearings like 1 or 6 thats what dosent make any sense.

Sorry about your getting screwed with your pants on...i understand that the local LC2 shops are worse than poop,so you were hoping those guys in the next state over were better than here...but just a waste of $$$$ which is soo unfortunate! Gonna have to get a bike like me...they are fast,dont break,and you dont have to rely on 1 or 2 deadbeat shops when you need something done that you cant do............SORRY J

So.. How much did you spend???

Spent how much??? And the owner would not talk to you ???is it possible there was an issue with the parts?? Hard to believe the shop could not come to some type of agreement or compromise to help this guy out!!! Makes you think....

in the one image it looks like billet caps? now i know those arent factory. did the machine shop alignhone the mains? if this wasnt done this can easily lead to this issue

more thinking of this to say the motor wasnt primed right is BS as it wiped out one specific bearing. others would be marked or eaten up at the same rate

"more thinking of this to say the motor wasnt primed right is BS as it wiped out one specific bearing."

I'm thinking along this same line.
What I'd like to know is, just what does an oil pump shaft look like if the engine was not primed?? Shop response claims "no marks that indicate a priming tool was used"??

Quote: "Because this problem is oil related, we inspected the oil pump drive shaft. There were no signs of any tooling used to prime the pump."

here is a question

what type of rod bolts were used? if aftermarket bolts were used you have to champher the rod caps to recieve the bolts. it''s possible that the #4 rods could have been installed with that process done or not enough and the torque readings would be off and it also distorted the rod out of round.

No one is perfect and engine shops make mistakes.

whats the old saying?

if you want something done right do it yourself.

Atleast this way.......... there aint nobody to blame but yourself.

:rolleyes:A.j.

whats the old saying?

if you want something done right do it yourself.

Atleast this way.......... there aint nobody to blame but yourself.

:rolleyes:A.j.

true but not everyone has the time or tools or knowhow to do this whole job, i know i dont.. you pay thousands its expected that your will recieve quality work not canned dog ****.

make sure you have the date on the screen!!!:biggrin:

Judging from the lack of explanation on how you can destroy ONE rod bearing relative to all the others by starving the COMPLETE eninge for oil I would say a sworn affidavit from john force's crew chief wouldn't even matter much less a video tape.

cant understand why weber has not got back on and tried to explain the reason why one bearing was destroyed. only thing they stated was how jason messed up by not priming the oil pump. when i am sure he positively did. not saying that it was webers fault by inexperience but clearly this is a machining or assembler issue. everyone has a bad day from time to time. just wish someone would own up to it. clearly more than one bearing would be destroyed

so its been a few days and the machine and its followers have not posted up any answers to any questions. Theres a reason a few years ago on ls1tech this shop had gotten piss poor replys.

so how does just one bearing get chewed up that bad? oh wait it was to not priming the motor cause there was no drill chuck marks.....lmao what the lamest reply ever especially from a crediable machine shop

x2 break out the line bore gauge and mics that will tell all.

Stagemonster I know how you feel I smoked two TSO motors in one season over a faulty piston design that was proven beyond a doubt. Guess what my machinist did for me? NADA That's racing and obviously nothing comes with a warranty

Chris, you nailed it on the head. In racing you might as well consider the $$ you spend gone if something goes wrong... Excuses, excuses, excuses, but the checks aways cash on your side right??? I do believe when you spend big $$ with a engine builder and are on the cutting edge in development like some, they should/can help out a little on the labor side instead of continuing to twist the knife. There is only so long you can take it before you move on. I'm not saying your guy did this, but I know some who have.