New motor with bottom end noise

Justin brought Weber a new Cat crank and a used beat up stocker. He said use the stocker if at all possible. There are alot of things Justin is leaving out of the thread to make the Weber look bad. After many years and 100's maybe 1000's of engines, these two clowns can make one of the top Buick shops look bad???

who the heck is justin? and unless u were there for the conversations between the two how can you make comments like that. I on the other hand actually listened to every phone conversation. He brought them his motor, stock crank, and his stroker stage 2 crank. He told them to machine the stocker and see if it would be useable. And that if not then he would use the new crank. They told him it would machine out fine. And then once it was done getting machined they called him and said the crank came out perfect. I actually heard those words over the phone. Unless you work for them and were there, maybe you shouldn't be covering for them so much.

Sorry, meant Jason. It is just funny. I have been dealing with Weber for years as well as alot of other guys in the area, none of which have had any problems. Many engines in the 8's and 9's together for years. Then you guys manage to kill one in 38 miles. Just from what I have read and heard, you guys know little. You like to talk like you know alot.
I work on people's Buicks on a weekly basis and don't claim to be North Ridgeville's #1 Buick mechanic.
I think someone has a phd in story fabrication

Sorry, meant Jason. It is just funny. I have been dealing with Weber for years as well as alot of other guys in the area, none of which have had any problems. Many engines in the 8's and 9's together for years. Then you guys manage to kill one in 38 miles. Just from what I have read and heard, you guys know little. You like to talk like you know alot.
I work on people's Buicks on a weekly basis and don't claim to be North Ridgeville's #1 Buick mechanic.
I think someone has a phd in story fabrication

Why are you making this personal?
This is between Weber and Jason. You can ask most anyone in Pittsburgh who they would have work on their car around here. And I am sure they will come up with one answer. I wasn't going to post but you sir are just being A**. Stop making this personal and just let them post facts about the engine build.

Him claiming that is merely a joke sir. There is another guy here in pgh that likes to do poor business. Hmm and I know little or he knows little? And for being young and owning my own shop I feel I know a good bit about racing and building capable cars. And if I don't know I have plenty of people around me that do. You need to leave this thread alone. Unless you work for Weber that is.

Why are you making this personal?
This is between Weber and Jason. You can ask most anyone in Pittsburgh who they would have work on their car around here. And I am sure they will come up with one answer. I wasn't going to post but you sir are just being A**. Stop making this personal and just let them post facts about the engine build.

I am born and raised in Pittsburgh and have been racing Buicks on the track and street around there since the mid 80's and I have no idea who Stagemonster is or even what his name is.

Well he's 30 so he's only be racing and since the 90's. Sorry you guys don't live in Pittsburgh anymore and can't see his work.

Well he's 30 so he's only be racing and since the 90's. Sorry you guys don't live in Pittsburgh anymore and can't see his work.

LOL yes I live in Ohio less than an hour from Downtown. Mine and my wife's entire family is still there and we do keep in touch. I love the "how's the weather up there in Oh-Hi-Ya"

How about a name? Who is Stagemonster? How about a few pics and some times on cars he has worked on? Please share I would like to see some of his work?

Jason

I think it's now the time to remeasure everything. Put the caps and bearing back in the block and measure and then measure the crank. Then you will know what the clearances were.

Also measure the main journals with out the bearing in them and i like to shoot for 2.6875 thats in the middle of the buick specs and give you 5 tenths + -.

Also put the bad rod assembly back together and measure it. If you have access to a rod machine.

heres some questions that should be addressed

arent you suppose to use assembly lube on the bearings?
isnt this there to aide in the first starting of the motor?
are you going to say in 20 seconds after a motor fires that its going to wipe out bearings if it wasnt primed?

what this looks like to be is a mistake of tolerance to be had. maybe the builder that day had an off day and made a mistake. things happen

but are you honestly going to sit there and BS about how the priming is going to effect it that bad?

LS motors dont even get primed with a drill, you do it by rotating the motor over viva the starter to build pressure. In these applications good assembly lube is used. Ive never had issues with Ls motors dying after first fire with this method.

so with a buick it takes how long to prime the motor viva a drill? vs say 30 seconds of rotating of the crank viva a starter on a ls

my point isnt to compare a LS to a buick. its the fact that your saying it starved for oil, which is possible, pump failure, silcone in the pick up tube, metal shavings from the machine work in the passages

now you may get some light scores on a bearing from not priming but enough to wipe a motor out? sorry this is from clearances and now that the motor is trashed no one can say other wise what is the truth.

when this motor was built did it come with a build sheet?

in the end the weber ppl are going to stand up for that company, the stagemonster ppl are going to stand by his side. then you have the rest of site which is going to be neutral

weber wont be used again and stagemonster will move on with bad taste in his mouth.

Jay theres a local guy starting to really make a name for himself in the assembling of motors. ill get you in contact with him

There is a dispute here between two parties.

It is amazing how some people viewing this are questioning peoples integrity when they have nothing to do with this situation and instead should be neutral besides asking significant questions about said build.

I myself am trying to learn something here.

D

Jason

I think it's now the time to remeasure everything. Put the caps and bearing back in the block and measure and then measure the crank. Then you will know what the clearances were.

Also measure the main journals with out the bearing in them and i like to shoot for 2.6875 thats in the middle of the buick specs and give you 5 tenths + -.

Also put the bad rod assembly back together and measure it. If you have access to a rod machine.

x2 break out the line bore gauge and mics that will tell all.

Stagemonster I know how you feel I smoked two TSO motors in one season over a faulty piston design that was proven beyond a doubt. Guess what my machinist did for me? NADA That's racing and obviously nothing comes with a warranty

thats why i prefer stock motors. the power and abuse ive seen from stock motors is simply amazing however in the 80s the build quailty of motors wasnt like it is today

quick good to see you in here man. Its not my motor so i'm not upset that it didn't last. I'm upset with how we were treated up there. If they were friendly I'd say oh well it happens a mistake was made somewhere jay will learn and build the next one himself. But the rudeness and treatment that we were uneducated in the automotive field just hit me wrong.

Just so happens I will be in the Burgh tonight, meeting some friends and maybe scoping out my buddies new 5.0! If weather looks good I am possibly driving my T-type in. Would like to see some of your guys handy work?

Sure man. I would love to see your T. Jason has really turned me on to these turbo buicks. What part of town will you be in? I"ll pm you my number so you can get ahold of me.

Oops, double post.

J, I know a good shop in greensburg that did my motor. Pm me if you want their info.

Were those bearings the coated ones that weber sells. It didn't look like it because I thought the coating was black.

STAGEMONSTER is 30 years old ? Wow i was just on your webb site and you have Jason listed on your CREW. so you are telling me he has been building Buicks for 20 years ?so that would make him like 10 years old :eek: http://fjperformance.wordpress.com/crew/

Jason Rubin – Fabricator/Mechanic

Jason Rubin is Pittsburgh’s foremost Turbo Buick mechanic and has a 100% streetable 10 second Buick Grand National. He has been working on Grand Nationals and Regals for 20 years now and is extremely knowledgeable on all things mechanical. He is the leader of Ruthless Racing and runs Ultimate Auto Service catering to his Turbo Six following.

i was at the track 2 weeks ago and saw STAGEMONSTER racing your car .1st pass was 13s? 2nd pass looks like he BLEW your HEAD GASKETS .did he HURT the motor ? car looks good with new paint !

He started working on them with his dad when he was about 8. So yes it has been about 20 years of working on these cars. And you didn't see me up at the track 2 weeks ago. My regal went a 12.66 with 108k miles on it then it did hurt the motor when he ran it. But we knew it was just a matter of time.