New Motor installed and no start but cranks all day long...

I can hear the fuel pump and know I had fuel at the rail because there was a leak. I pulled the cam sensor and reset it as per procedure. My battery is a bit low now but I went ahead and tried to see if there was spark on the #1 plug. I cranked it and did not see any spark but it was a very slow crank with the weak battery. As per previous question I did prime the oil pump as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This happened to me once... after I installed a new engine I forgot to plug the crank sensor up:rolleyes:.... I'm sure you checked that already. Just a thought

This happened to me once... after I installed a new engine I forgot to plug the crank sensor up:rolleyes:.... I'm sure you checked that already. Just a thought

I will double check tonight and make sure it is set right. If anyone can point me in the right direction to install instructions that would be great

23168b3eae26ac8ba8609653c9808d40.jpg
9494322ed7bd38e05c52bd7a3a7fd702.jpg

It looks like the crank sensor is in tip top....
I also got the battery well charged... I pulled the #1 plug out and plugged it into its wire and laid it down on the brake booster steel bolt... it cranked good and hard.... no spark...

The ecm flashed the 12 code more than 6 times. I guess I have no codes and my ecm is good to go.

I can hear the fuel pump and know I had fuel at the rail because there was a leak. I pulled the cam sensor and reset it as per procedure. My battery is a bit low now but I went ahead and tried to see if there was spark on the #1 plug. I cranked it and did not see any spark but it was a very slow crank with the weak battery. As per previous question I did prime the oil pump as well.

Did you check for spark on all cylinders? Or just #1. Check another & another the coil could be faulty, inspect that crank sensor and your harness

Just out of cutiousity, did you buy this car in running condition? Have you ever seen it run with the old engine? Why did you need a new ECM?

Just out of cutiousity, did you buy this car in running condition? Have you ever seen it run with the old engine? Why did you need a new ECM?

I've seen the old motor run. It sat outside without a heater box and the rain got in the stock ecm

All the rust I'm sure isn't helping . I would get steel wool and get it clean . Also the cam sensor needs to be dead on idk if you are using a tr6 or not but double triple check it is set dead on . My car wouldn't start If the cam sensor was more then 3-4 * off . So triple check it

Just do what turborick says, test light the two pins, i bet you only have juice to one pin. Its easy,unskrew the connecter at the coil,turn on the key and touch the two pins. If the test light lights up you obviously have power. Go under the dash and pull the cccl fuse and replace it. It took me a week to figure this out but when i got power to both pins my car turned over 3 time and fired up

Maybe a stupid question but shouldn't the shop that built your engine be able to figure this out?

Last edited:
Maybe a stupid question but shouldn't the shop that built your engine be able to figure this out?

I didn't pay the shop (Anderson performance) for install. I am 9 hours away from Billy. What he was paid for he did a wonderful job.

No not the shop
dose the crank senor line up with the balancer correctly ? looks high

Did you check for RPM on the tach as you crank the car? If the crank sensor isn't working I believe you will not see any Reading on the tach. The cam sensor being properly set is very important and as mentioned above it must be very close to dead on.

Two things.........crank sensor may be killed due to wrong adjustment. As mentioned above, it has way too much gap on the outboard side.
Two.... Try having someone turn the key to crank and at the same time after one revolution, quickly unplug the cam sensor. If it starts, the cam sensor is either bad, or not set correctly.
Where are you located? If you were within an hour or so from me, I would swing by and have it running in half hour or so.
Also, try holding the throttle open just a little, too. IAC and new throttle body may not be letting air in.

Two things.........crank sensor may be killed due to wrong adjustment. As mentioned above, it has way too much gap on the outboard side.
Two.... Try having someone turn the key to crank and at the same time after one revolution, quickly unplug the cam sensor. If it starts, the cam sensor is either bad, or not set correctly.
Where are you located? If you were within an hour or so from me, I would swing by and have it running in half hour or so.
Also, try holding the throttle open just a little, too. IAC and new throttle body may not be letting air in.
Damn Ken where do you live, as I'm moving too be close to you

One time my car wouldn't start and it ended up being the ECM connector. Rain had gotten in and corroded the connection. I had NO service engine light to be clear.