New Motor 1st Start PL Log Need Help Bad

zhorner

Looking to Buy
First start up after 2 years of motor and tranny rebuilding. I started seeing KR at 6 minutes of the break in process and had to shut it down. Im pretty sad about the whole deal honestly and would really appreciate someone to load up the log to see if they can give me some advice on where to start.

Unfortunately I nerded out and forgot to record the entire 6 min but i saved the snapshot which contains all the knock.

thanks for any advice guys im really in a bind here.

Attachments

• start up.dat
    50.9 KB · Views: 43
A motor with no load on it doesn't knock. If it goes lean it will loose power and want to die. Knock sensor is picking up something else. Did you here anything?

Do you have anything tied to the knock circuit? Gauge, alarm etc?

Rick

Did you have the exhaust all hooked up when you were breaking it in?

My dad drilled that into my head when first firing an engine. I always loved the sound of open headers, but when doing the initial startup he always said you need to hear everything the engine is telling you. It allows you to quicky shut down if something sounds wrong.

Do you have an Oil Pressure Gauge?

Thanks for the replies guys, one thing i forgot to mention is the exhaust manifold is glowing bright red after about 3 minutes of running. Possible timing issue?

I dont have my led knock gauge hooked up, i thought the PL would be fine for the initial break in. It definitely didnt try to die at all and i didnt hear any unusual sounds. I have fuel pressure and oil pressure transducers hooked up and wired in but they weren’t registering. I will troubleshoot both of those before starting again. I do have the exhaust hooked up.

Thanks again everyone. i started it yesterday and everything went good, let it cool and changed the oil then did a 12 psi run without issue. Im pretty sure the problem with the first start was that the WBO2 had a bad ground and wasn’t working with a new TT WB chip and it was trying to learn without all the info it needed? Now i have to troubleshoot the loudest ticking noise of all time, hoping its an exhaust leak