New Injectors, too much fuel

SWFla GN

I just installed my new 50's in my car. At first, the engine would not turn over. I pulled the plugs on the passenger side of the car and a bucket of gas blew out from #6 and some from the other two when the engine turned. Put the plugs back in and it started, however, running real rich (looks like a fogger). New chip was an extender. Could this be a chip problem or did my install go wrong somewhere?

Next problem....oil is now coming out of the gasket on the exhaust side where the turbo connects to the downpipe. It also is blowing exhaust at the gasket where header connects to the turbo. I think it probally always had the oil leak since there is oil residue all up and down the bottom of the car on the passenger side. Now that there is fuel in the exhaust it is helping the oil get out easier. I pulled the plug in # 6 after all of this and there is no oil on the plug, just lots of gas! Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks, Mike

You might try reseating the chip and clear the ecm by unplugging and replugging the orange wire at the battery.

And make sure your check and change your oil as it is probably loaded with gas and will be very thin and could wipe out the engine if you drive ti like that.

You're absolutely sure the Extender you received is for your 50's???

What MAF base setting are you using in your Translator, and what MAF do you have?

The sticker on the chip says "L" which means 50's according to their literature. Is there another way to tell besides sending it back and asking them?

MAF base setting is "0" and it is a 3 inch MAF.

I pulled the chip out and put it back in, same problem.

Also check your injector harness if you pinched it it might be grounding. Does the #6 injector click or work?

Definately try reseting the ECM. Mine would not report 1/2 MAF until it had been reset by unplugging the ECM power feed by the battery.

Originally posted by SWFla GN
The sticker on the chip says "L" which means 50's according to their literature. Is there another way to tell besides sending it back and asking them?

MAF base setting is "0" and it is a 3 inch MAF.

I pulled the chip out and put it back in, same problem.

L is for 50's, but I see one of your problems. MAF BASE zero is for the 3.5" sensor. Since you have the 3" sensor, it should start in MAF BASE 3.

MAF BASE 3 is the "zero change" setting for the 3" sensor.

It goes something like this:

MAF BASE 0 = 3.5" no change
MAF BASE 1 = 3.5" leaner
MAF BASE 2 = 3.5" richer
MAF BASE 3 = 3" no change
MAF BASE 4 = 3" leaner
MAF BASE 5 = 3" richer

Thanks for all the help, here is what I did. Changed setting on Translator to 3. Unplugged ECM for 2 minutes and then cranked her up. Still way too rich again. I moved the Translator to 4 & 5, no change in the fog coming out the back. Do you shut the car off before you make this change?

Any way, there is something new that I noticed during startup. The fuel pressure went to 40 (line on) then started to drop quickly until I fired her up. Probally lost 15 pounds of pressure before I turned the key all the way. After she fired, then fuel pressure stays at 40.

My engine is loud, how do I listen to the #6 injector. If I touch it can I feel it turning on and off?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

does your fuel pressure go away immediately after turning the car off?

sounds like you have a stuck open/inop injector...pull 'em and have them checked and flowed.....as suggested verify your injector wiring harness is good

Fuel pressure dropped down to 20#s after 24 hours of not running. These are brand new injectors that were flowed by the seller before being shipped to me. So......

Can I unplug (from harness) one injector at a time while the car is idleing to see if one of the injectors is stuck open? The car should idle without the rich condition and I could determine it is an injector problem. Of course, this assumes that an unplugged injector will close and I want hurt the engine. Any thoughts?

May not hurt to have the chip image checked. It could be labeled right but burned wrong by accident. If it is you will be trouble shooting forever and never get it resolved. This happened to me when I put my MSD-50's in for the first time. Ended up being actually a stock injector chip burned as a MSD-50.

Also you can check the injectors with a stethoscope from any auto parts or a hose to the injector body and your ear. It should make a ticking sound and it goes up with rpm. I still believe you have a non working injector or open circuit.

It's FIXED!!! I ordered a new wiring harness and installed it today...car runs great. When I looked at the old harness, it had exposed wires on the #6 injector that were shorting out on the fuel rail. I do not know how I missed it in the install. :eek: I also changed the oil before I went out for the test run to be safe. Thanks to all for the advice. This Board is the best!!!

Mike