New hybrid project I picked up today... (85 El Camino)

kenny

No turbo, no care.
I owned this car in high school, I sold it five years ago to a friend... he hasn't been driving it and talked about selling it. We worked out a deal and I brought it home tonight.

23upond.jpg

29bbv9f.jpg

c5h8l.jpg

2v1u81c.jpg

The 109 is a hot air long block I bought off a board memeber, I'm probably going to swap cams and have the heads ported.

The plan is to make it a pro-touring car, 18" Simmons (probably anyway), big brakes, upgrade a-arms, all that fun stuff.

In time it will get a GT6765 and some other crazyness. Going to use a full Regal dash/seats/center console/HVAC box, etc.

:D

I'm doing the same thing, except with an I/C motor. Integrating the electronics is killing me, but this is my first attempt.

I'm doing the same thing, except with an I/C motor. Integrating the electronics is killing me, but this is my first attempt.

I'm using an I/C motor as well, I just bought a hot air long block because it was cheap. The I/C motor I have has a shot thrust bearing.

Looks like a good project Kenny:) My buddy down here has some of that stuff you may need if you don't already have it.

Looks like a good project Kenny:) My buddy down here has some of that stuff you may need if you don't already have it.

I've got an entire Regal I'm using as a donor since the d/s floorpan is rusty, some bondo and has a shot thrust bearing.

I'll keep that in mind though if I need anything. :biggrin:

Might pull the dash out of the El Camino today... can't wait to get the digital dash installed.

I've got an entire Regal I'm using as a donor since the d/s floorpan is rusty, some bondo and has a shot thrust bearing.

I'll keep that in mind though if I need anything. :biggrin:

Might pull the dash out of the El Camino today... can't wait to get the digital dash installed.

Got an '86-'87 109 block for sale?

That should be alot of fun, are you going to cut the fenders and swap the regal front nose over too?

BW

That should be alot of fun, are you going to cut the fenders and swap the regal front nose over too?

BW

No, I'm not a fan of how that looks at all. I also don't like the choo-choo customs look.

This is what I'm going for,
f108jm.jpg

23vc0o9.jpg

Except, not on bags, so not quite as low.

Kevin, since I have the heads off, do you know anywhere close that does good port work on Buick stuff? :biggrin:

I figured they would be good to get a hold of, as well as Janis or Parvin (assuming he's still into Buicks).

sweet project. Are you keeping it the same color? Looks black-ish but hard to tell.

sweet project. Are you keeping it the same color? Looks black-ish but hard to tell.

Yeah, it's black. It has a few little rust spots I need to get taken care of, but otherwise the paint is very nice. I also want to remove the chrome at the bottom of the door, but how it's mounted will require filling so that will get done when I get the rust taken care of.

Two better pics of it,
5bp8vl.jpg

307p2mf.jpg

I removed the chrome around the wheel wells and the bed cover already. The cowl hood will be removed in time... I need to see if someone makes a stock appearing glass hood for it so I don't add more weight back to it.

I think I'm going to focus on suspension/brakes this winter more than going fast, I've got mostly everything picked out, I just need to find what 18"s I want to buy... thinking Simmons Fs but I need to find a dealer.

You get yours all sorted?

yup, finally. Long story short, I ended up taking it to Lonnie's and discovered the non lock valve was machined incorrectly so the tranny was sucking air instead of fluid. I'm hoping to head down this week to pick it up if the weather cooperates.

Lame, figures it was something easy and you find it after the tracks are closed.

I think I tossed the governor spring on mine... haven't pulled the pan to look yet though. Doesn't upshift at WOT unless you get off the throttle. Otherwise it upshifts fine. I shouldn't have even been beating on it with the thrust bearing as bad as it is. :eek:

Since you can no longer order Simmons wheels through groupawheels.com, where can I find them these days?

I figure I should buy wheels first, that way when I do the C5/C6 brake upgrade I can actually have something to roll the car(k) around on...