New hotair intakes underway!

Hotair Intake

I think everyone is getting off the subject of why the manifold is being created. The intercooler will reduce the heated air and make more power, usually 80-100 extra horsepower. The movement of the Throttlebody is to take out the hesitation. If you want to keep the engine Hotair just do a good port job and save yourself alot of money.

Justifying these intakes

To go with one of these manifolds, you will be likely flowing more than a Stock 86/87. You can also run an intercooler. I would think that this would then eliminate all the cons of the Hot Air setup vs. the later years.
To my knowledge the later years boasted the intercooler, better oiling, and better exhaust flow. Therefore, a hot air setup running the 109 block for better oiling, 86/87 ECM, better flowing exhaust and headers, as well as bigger turbo would be as efficient as a later year car. So this would be much more cost and time effective than doing an entire 86/87 swap. Does my reasoning check out?

So this would be much more cost and time effective than doing an entire 86/87 swap.

This is exactly why I wanted this setup in the first place. 86-87 cars are easier to make fast, and this eliminates all the hurtles to the hotair cars and levels the playing field.

From a performance standpoint, the 86-87 advantages were a larger intake plenum area, the intercooler, and the computer changes. Well, most everyone is doing, or has done the 86-87 ecm upgrade, and this kit will allow for the intercooler addition. And, as a bonus, you get a better than the stock 86-87 intake. So, technically, with this intake and a stock intercooler you are better off than just an 86-87 swap (assuming you have done the ecm conversion) And there is no need to pull the engine and replace the wiring harness.

The TB relocate gives better throttle response and eliminates the tip in stumble that many of the hotairs have.

As far as going without an intercooler, you still get the driveability bonus of the TB relocate, plus you get that TB off that hot A$$ compressor. Also, the piping to the TB is a great place to mount an alchy or propane kit. Also there is a lmuch greater availability in the world of performance TB's for the latter cars.

If you want to keep the engine Hotair just do a good port job and save yourself alot of money.

Granted, a home brew port job is much cheaper than an intake swap. But, as Jeff is not going to run an intercooler after the mock-up stage, I have to say we have weighed the benefits of the intake for that purpose as well. YOu get the updated TB mount for the tip in issues and can use multiple TB's designed for the 86-87. Also, from our flowbench testing, a ported stock intake will not keep up with this intake as far as flow goes, and there is absolutely no comparison between the two as far as plenum volume in regards to flow equalization. Now, It has been proven more than once that these cars can and do go fast on the ported stock intake, so I cannot say ours is the answer to all your problems, but I think it is an easier more efficient route.

BTW, this is not a sales pitch, I am in agreement with what has been said, and am just trying to clearify my/our goals.

Great Pictures

Mr. Buick, those are some great pictures. I just happen to have a complete Spearco set up and spare intake in my basement. Your setup looks very nice. The custom fab pieces are excellent I just have one question: What ate you using for the intake; is that black ABS plastic? Where did you get it?

My day job has forced me to spend the last 4 of 5 weeks traveling, and the other week a much needed vacation.

right now intake is done, bolted to engine, and awaiting minor details before installing into the test car.

Just ordered the needed silicon couplers today, should have those next week.

New throttle cable is now in hand.

Anybody around louisville area want to get dirty swapping motors???

Day jobs suck. I understand that. Wish I could come help, but my day job sucks. What throttle body are you using on this? and is a different throttle cable needed? I would think it'd need to be longer.

86/87 tb and plenum (although modified slightly)

Basically stock position of 86 plenum, so uses 86/87 throttle cable, brackets etc.

Only real trick is the remote IAC, to maintain the 84/85 thermostat housing.

That and lots of welding, and cutting.

Should finish up the little details tomorrow. Maybe be able to get some pics up tonight.

It is looking nice on engine stand.

If you look in the events section of this board, you will see that there is a Tri-State turbo club meet in Cincinnati on the 17th. I/we are hoping to have the 1st "in person" debut of the car at that event. Hopefully we will have it broken in and most of the kinks worked out by then.

Anyone interested in attending, post questions, etc at that thread.

Tri-State Club Meeting

For the benefit of those of us living in the Confederate Territories and too far to attend the meet, I hope someone will take pictures and post them. Thank y'all in advance and enjoy the meet.:cool:

Wish I could. Really looking forward to seeing this on a car functional. And then on my car...functional and fast. Waaaahhhhaaaa

Finally got some updated pictures on my website gallery.

http://s94691562.onlinehome.us/gallery/buickmotor

This one shows stock turbo and how the tubing will be run for hot air lots of alky version (1 I plan to run) Obviously the pipe isn't done yet, but gives you idea.

http://s94691562.onlinehome.us/albums/buickmotor/aam.sized.jpg

Later will mock up the 86/87 intercooler also.

Motor swap may start as early as this weekend. For sure next weekend.

Basically I have a 86 intake now, but avoided the hassles of thermostat, etc.

Once motor is broke in, we plan to do some custom ECM work and tuning.

Anybody want to guess what ET it can run with a stock 84 turbo and lots of alky?

I wouldn't think alot to be honest if the stocker is your limiting factor, and I think it might be. It should get out of its effeciency range pretty fast to be honest. I would be much happier to see the test done with an intercooled turbo. You can get the for 100-150, and they flow nearly double the hotair stocker. I would say it's a reasonable upgrade for all of us.

I am not against upgrading.

Just keeping things minimal right now.

If an 86/87 turbo finds me for right price. It will happen.

Actually, if there was one reason to use the stock hot-air turbo it would be back to back testing. If you guys would test a stock intake and your new intake back to back with no other mods I would be very impressed. I do realize that this kind of test would drastically limit the benefits of your intake (IC, Alky and so on), but it would still show the increases in flow.

I realize that this would be a lot of work, but as in nterested consumer, I will tell you that such a test would make me more confident in a purchase.

It all looks great guys. Lots of work done there and more to come with all the piping. I agree with keeping the stock turbo as a control in the testing and leaving the intakes and TB placement as the variable. Looking forward to seeing more. Wish you guys were in my backyard. I'd probably still just sit back and watch though :D

New intake

The pictures really look great. Don't get me wrong I see your logic in trying to make a better hot air car, but why? I would like to see it hooked up to an intercooler for the test, because even if it makes an improvent over the hot air manifold it would never justify the expense to keep it hot air. The reason that an intercooler is used besides the fact that you get more power is that it helps the engine live longer. Why do you think the 84-85 cars spent so much time in the Buick warranty shops, HOT AIR. Set it up for intercooler and do the tests then make an adaptor to slip on to make it hot air if you really need to test hot air. The intercooled results are what we are waiting for. Thanks for doing what appears to be alot of work and good luck in the testing, I will be waiting to hear the results. I see that imagination and innovation are definitely at work in your shop. Thanks again

Couple reasons to remain hotair.

1- More direct comparision of the flow into intake from what was stock. Is testing intake, more than hey look what an intercooler can do. We are really trying to compare apples to apples here and not throw a bunch of other variables in the mix more than we have already.

2- This car is my driver not my race car (that is in garage in pieces like all race cars.:D ) . I do have a borrowed 86 intercooler and brackets ready to mock up in the next stage, so stay tuned.

3- I am going to put the car on a heavy diet of alky. After doing that mod on a friend syclone (removing stock intercooler, lots of alky) is something I want to play with. If I wanted this car to be the fastest possible I would do alky and intercooler. That isn't my goal though, i need a good car I can drive daily. (remember other car is in pieces...)