new guy

Radio

ok folks here goes. new to the site. I have decided to remove the gn from my lifes back burner and return it to its former only better glory, for my wife for our anniversary. car has been stored last 12 years or so. Ive started pulling motor to freshin up, im gonna pull front clip and do a firewall forward restore. Im not new to cars but am still pretty clueless when it comes to these. hell Im still looking for the carburator..Here is what i did to car Before putting it up. 340 pump, adjustable regulater, hot wire, remote mount kn, 50 lbs injectors. and a chip. i want to do the 87 ecm so I can run a scan tool. since i cant afford to do an 87 swap im gonna shoot for a respectable running h.a., I plan on porting heads, not sure what is avail. for turbo upgrades, put I know i need to do something with this damn braided down pipe(it has made me bleed enough). i think im gonna freshin up the bottom end and hit the top end with goodies. looking for any input on this build I can get. dont want to buy parts twice. I also plan to do the fbody radiator with dual fans but dont know what year to look for.

Hello and Welcome To Turbobuick.com!!! :) Well you are in the right Forum, Hot Air (non-intercooled) Tech.

Read the stickies on the top of the forum page and poke around the Hot Air section, lots of good info there. And don't be afraid to ask questions!

Good Luck with your project! :):)

Already found a boat load of info, to think I took.the time to label all those vacuum lines when there is a diagram rite here. Think I need to purchas one of them Damn tablet things to take out to the shop.with me!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

frontends tore done, dog house and core support removed , wiring harness is out and motor and trans are ready to come out, need to borrow a cherry picker. new to forums, can I post pics from my phone? if all goes well ill have block tore down and ready for the machine shop on monday. Cant believe I decided to pull the pin on this project on weds.backed it in on weds afternoon to do front brakes

The Ta-33 is a excellent turbo upgrade for the hot air years and as far as the "bleeder" stock downpipe the only source I know of for a replacement is the 3" stainless one G-Body carries.

I looked that one up, after seeing it on a build on here, thought about building my own. if I do the tubular upper a arms and f body starter it loks like ill gain some room. however now im on the fence. do I opt to stay with what I have or start a quest for I/C converstion. I know the obvious answer. just tryin to weigh the pros and cons

Years ago on my 84 GN I did a Kenny Bell Big Boy IC and it worked out pretty well but the one big side affect is losing spool up speed because of the long piping from front to back. It also was a big pain having to remove the piping to work on the car. Nowdays I would probably not do it again and opt for alcohol injection instead.

My end result is to build a respectable driver, that can be awhile lot of fun. We don't need another drag car! My dilemma is I have a friend with a lot of IC parts I can pick up locally. Or do make some minor changes to the HA and spend the money on the chassis. I know in the long run IC would net me more HP gains. If I had an unlimited budget. This wouldn't even be an issue. However pound for pound I could probely find the right parts used to build an IC setup for about the same money. I guess I'm rambling here. Just have to determine which way to go. And run with it. I have shelves of small block Chevy go fast parts, trying to avoid that this time

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Well here is my recipe from years ago but Kenny Bell/Poston parts are discontinued nowdays. TA-33 turbo, Autolite 24's gapped at .032, 87 ECM, 87 module and coils, Scanmaster, Casper's duel fans, ported 62mm tb, Kenny Bell Big Boy IC and ram air, 42.5 injectors, Walbro pump with Casper's hot wire, blocked tb coolant lines, 206 cam, Casper's ultra chip, aluminum driveshaft, drums and bumper reinforcements, Poston headers, Hooker cat back, 1.65 rockers, 255 rear 235 front. The block was stock along with the heads and suspension.

look at works for turbo,s get some 6.0 diesel exhaust and fab up down pipe, and heads talk to charlief1 on the board ,and ditch the IC thought and keep it HA,imho alky is cool;)

Alright time for an update, looks as though I've acquired everything to do an 87 swap up to and including fresh motor. Only lacking an intercooler. Once I got the car on the lift I started to realize just a clean up wasn't gonna be enough. I believe its time to do a frame off box the frame and powdercoat it. I do have a question to those who have done frame offs on these cars. What's the best way to lift the body off the frame using my two post lift. The frame sits so close to the pinch weld under the rockers.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Take a piece of 1-1/2" angle iron and bolt it to the lift arms open end facing the posts, and wedge the vertical part of the angle between the rocker pinch weld and the frame. I did this with mine and it worked well. (I used an auto-twirler rotisserie to do the lifting...but it would be the same principal...)

Alright time for an update, looks as though I've acquired everything to do an 87 swap up to and including fresh motor. Only lacking an intercooler. Once I got the car on the lift I started to realize just a clean up wasn't gonna be enough. I believe its time to do a frame off box the frame and powdercoat it. I do have a question to those who have done frame offs on these cars. What's the best way to lift the body off the frame using my two post lift. The frame sits so close to the pinch weld under the rockers.

I have a stock intercooler available if you need it.

Thanxs for replies, I think I'm doing a front mount IC. Angle iron is a good idea!. Has anybody had good luck with having a frame powdercoated, versus other methods. Once I blast the frame, box it and gusset I need to figure out what I'm.gonna coat it with

I powder coated my frame and all my suspension parts, rear end housing, trans crossmember...etc. it's well worth the $$$ IMHO.