new guy and hopefull new owner.

beltless

Hello!

I am on the verge of purchasing an 87 GN and just want to get some of your experienced feedback on any issue that I should know about.

My history is (don't kill me) Fox Mustangs. Like, 12 or 13 of them. Turbo'd, Supercharged, Nitrous'd etc etc. So, I'm pretty familiar with cars and even GM's as I had a few Iroc's in my time as well.

Anyways, it's a pretty nice looking car, it's been painted about 4 or 5 years ago, the seller has reciepts for motorwork, aluminum heads, 60lb injectors, larger cam, larger turbo, exhaust all the way back, larger downpipe, 73mm throttle body etc etc.

so, when going to view the car, what kind of problem spots should I be looking at? Frame rails etc etc.......

From the pictures I've been sent, it looks pretty good and I will try to post them today or tomorrow.

thanks guys in advance.

Hello and Welcome to Turbobuick.com!!! :) Good luck with your purchase. Any questions, there's lotsa nice, knowledgeable(sp) people on this site!

Welcome to the Darkside.

Search around this site. There a few write ups that cover buying one of these cars.

Better yet, post your location and maybe check in the appropriate regional section (and in the cars for sale section- "before buying...") There are usually TR folks that are willing to help look at a car for a newbie.

Good Luck.

Definitely reach out to a current or former Turbo Buick owner in your area; he or she will have numerous invaluable pieces of advice and there are countless things a Turbo Buick guy will notice when seeing a car in person.

Best of luck with your pursuit!!

Welcome to the site.

Good people here and lots of info. Don't be afraid to ask questions. What area do you live in?

Mike Barnard

Thanks guys. I'm pretty close to grabbing it.

Here are some of the photos from the seller. It seems pretty clean. It was painted about 4 or 5 years ago, but it was wet sanded last year.

The car has the following mods:
-60lb injectors
-73mm throttle body
-.30 over
-Forged pistons
-Roller rockers
-H beam rods
-Larger cam (don`t know specs)
-Aluminum heads (GN1 I believe)
-3" downpipe
-Larger turbo and intercooler
-Hooker cat back

And some other mods that I can`t recall right now. I believe that the numbers were around 400 to the tire at 12 lbs, does this sound right?

18k_1.jpg

18k_2.jpg

18k_6.jpg

18k_7.jpg

18k_8.jpg

074.jpg

18k_4.jpg

18k_3.jpg

081.jpg

087.jpg

085.jpg

I remember seeing this car listed,that pic of it on the street is the epitome of what an iconic GN looks like...if that makes sense.Love it. Huh,another one with crank windows.

...........................and it's mine.

Very very clean......like everywhere. As soon as the weather clears (in a month or so) I will do some photo shoots, in the meantime I will be picking your brains on various inquiries.
thanks.

Nice. Are both front and rear tires 245 60 15s ? or are the fronts smaller. Anyway it looks perfect size/stance.

Welcome aboard. It looks like a very nice car.

Feel free to start some threads in the tech section. We can then dive into technical details and bring you up to speed. Note: these cars are boost/fuel/octane sensitive, and spark knock/detonation really hurts the engines. If you hear it knocking, lift your foot.

Bob

Thanks everyone. I love it. It is exactly what I needed, and I've always wanted one.
3-5.0, I would have to look at the front tire size. I think it's the same, but never really looked. I know that it's been lowered a bit, so that may give the perception that the tires may be smaller.
I will be needing identification on the turbo that was installed, so, yes, I will be posting in tech section.
Thanks.