"New Guy" alert

Paul Clark

Hi. I'm new here, so be gentle. :)
Planning on painting the 87 GN this summer. Imagine I'll have lots of questions.
I'll search the previous posts, but if anyone has any up-front suggestions, I'd appreciate it. (source of trim and interior parts, shade of black, etc.)
Going to do BC/CC with no metallic.
Many thanks,
Paul

WELCOME TO THE BOARD, PAUL!

You're very wise to become a SEARCH feature "ninja"!

Very few seem to use it at all, or even bother to learn how it best works. So, you're going to be wayyy ahead, real fast.

Lots of commentaries on almost any TR topic, available in seconds!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are several professional auto paint & body guys on the board who hopefully may reply to your thread.

A friend recently repainted his GN, and chose the paint code for the black used on the 2003 Cadillac Escalade.

Looks stupendous! :)

I had to do some paintwork on mine and the best match was by using straight black basecoat, no formula or anything. Just the necessary binders/etc. The formula tends move it toward the brown end of black. Just a FYI.....

So, what's everyone's opinion on the following quote I received from the same question on another list.? Not challenging anyone, just asking a question.
Thanks.
Paul

"NO, "Black is NOT Black". There is not such thing as pure black anymore and hasn't been since carbon was taken out of auto paint back in the late seventies.
When you see a "Black" car these days what you are looking at is actually a very dark brown, blue or red.

For instance, if you were to pull up the formula (a "recipe" of toners used to mix a color) for a particular black on a 2003 car or truck you would see MANY other colors in this formula, reds or blues maybe.

Mismatched Black is as bad or worse than any mismatched color. When painting a new fender on a "black" car you have to match the color just like as if it was Metallic gold or any other color.

There are some that are "truer" blacks than others, there can be a HUGE difference. That is why I recommend buying the color you plan on using and spray it out to be sure you want it. Do this before you lay out the dough for the gallon or what ever you plan on buying for a complete."

Then someone forgot to tell most painters here that. I have been told by every paint store in our area "Black is Black" could be the location or something. I'll call my paint vendor...

Again, I am not challenging anyone. I don't know squat. I just like to ask lots of questions before I do something. If there are different levels of "black", I want the "blackest" before I start scrubbing on the car and spraying noxious fumes into the atmosphere. :)
Here's the rest of the quote. What do you think?
Thanks
Paul

"I want to clear something up here. Even the black toner used in these colors is NOT black. The formulas I mentioned are so you can match certain "blacks" with a different brand of paint.
If the car was painted at the factory with PPG "black" and then we have to repair the car and paint a fender with S-W "black", well, S-W "black" is different from PPG's "Black" so OTHER toners have to be added to the S-W "black" toners to match the PPG's "black" toners. This is the reason there are formulas for the different "blacks".

It is possible to get "Black-Black" mixed off the toner bank using only a black toner for your color. HOWEVER that is still not a REAL black because it has no (or VERY little) carbon in it. One brands "Black" toner may be VERY blue, red or brown next to another brands "black" toner."

We used DuPont black basecoat only; I can't remember the product name (Chromabase maybe). The black that came out of the can was all we used. Of course as I mentioned before, there is binder/balancer that must also be mixed in. But that stuff is milky so in the end it was straight black; no metallic, no other colors. It was as black as you can get unless someone knows how to make black more black than that.

And I'm not offended by you questioning the responses. It's a large investment and I'm sure you want to do it right the first time.

This is dupont chromabase black as mentioned above, that's what I used to paint my car
My car at Bowling Green 2003 This might help you see what this black looks like. There is no other color in this paint, it just straight black. I'm not sure about the above statement I just go by what the paint vendor tells me. (and what I have been told my some of the best painters in this area) Could be true,maybe you can't get pure black like the old days, but I think the color turned out great. My two cents. The clear I use is called Montana sky. That makes a difference in the finish as well. At least from my limited experience... :D:D

I had my fender flares repainted this spring and the bodyshop used GM ebony black.The flares looked kinda greyish compared to how dark the rest of the car looked.I couldn't live with it so I had them redone NAPA black and they look great now,deep dark black:rolleyes:

I know the dupont chromabase black just says black on the can. Could be why ebony turned out a different color??? Napa black just says black on the can.

turbo6x2 -
Figured out an easy solution to this.
Just trade me cars. :)
That looks great! I might come close some day. Hope so.
Paul

I don't know about that, I had enough fun doing that as my first project. In fact most likely I will be doing my 64 Chevy this winter to get together. It takes a lot of work, but when they look good the hard work is worth it. Not too bad for something that started out pretty much trashed. :cool:

Took my 72 truck to a car show today.
While there I saw a vehicle that was really Black!
Asked the guy about it and he said it was done with GM Code 99?
Does that mean anything to anyone.
Truck won 1st place, which is kinda cool 'cause I shot it myself in my garage.
Thanks
Paul

black

I had my car painted with dupont 99k and it is the richest blackest color (or lack of color) I have ever seen. The paint shop painted it when my fender got whacked, but does anyone know a discount paint store online that sells dupont 99K?

Joe :confused:

Blast from the past.

Punch in DuPont or Ditzler,PPG,BASF,RM any brand of paint in a search and you'll find a couple of places selling it. Not much of a discount from what I've seen. What you save you end up spending in shipping. Make friends with a local shop. Usually you can buy black in 1 or 5 gallon cans for about half of what the other colors sell for. IMO black is black. If you want it to look deep than work on a good second stage. The clear coat in other words.