New Grand National spotted?

I think of it in the context of how well the GN did compared to the high end cars of the day. I personally think the new GN should be able to hang with a base model Corvette, and I don't think a 4 banger turbo is going to pull it off in a car that heave. Not stock anyway.

Great point. The competition wasn't as hard to beat in 1987.

For my two cents, I personally am dreading any re-make of the GN/GNX. GM will NOT be able to get it right (Think Pontiac GTO), or even remotely close. With the elimination of many of their brands, I don't think they are not going to put anything on the market that will devalue flagships of their remaining brands. I don't think it will come from the factory being able to keep up with the Vettes, (especially now they they can get what they are getting people to pay for them) and I don't think it will even keep up with the top Caddy coupes. I think it will be like someone else mentioned, something in between.

I think the Challenger, Mustang, and even the new Camaro 'throwback designs' (Okay so there's one for GM) did their nameplates justice. Resemblance to the older models in appearance and performance in comparison to their peers.

The spy photos I have seen so share no characteristics of anything I would consider 'Trademarks' of the GN appearance, and given the competition levels of its peers, I don't think it will stand out in any way on the track.

Now my pessimism aside, if I had a blank canvas for a remake, I would start off with a similar front face as the Gbody.. single piece black grill, elongated yellow running lights/ turn signals, quad square headlight assembly, obligatory bulge in the hood, two door coupes only, and horizontal tail lights. I know I am gonna get flak for this, but YES bring back the T tops (except maybe engineered a bit better).

While the Turbo 4banger does sound a bit insulting, it really isn't much different than the Turbo 6 vs v8 argument from the 80s. I mean they have Kias coming off the factory floor with 275hp with a Turbo 4 which is more HP than the 5.0s had during the GNs peak. (granted Kia is FWD and they are NOT getting that HP at the wheels). So if a twin turbo 4 let me keep up with a Mustang/Challenger off the showroom floor, I 'might' consider it if it had the signature turbo whine.

Since performance wise it would be VERY difficult to offer something that dominates against its peers, I would suggest getting to those numbers a different way. I dunno if that truly conveys what I am picturing, but I guess I would like to see something revolutionary on a new GN. Imagine getting a 440 HP car that gets like 35 MPG and 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, AND seat 5. Something along those lines that would AGAIN change the way performance cars were deigned.

I guess my point is when I think of the GN I think of the 'what they did' with 'what they had'. Taking caddy, that looks like a caddy, and offering a trim with a GN badge and a dumbed down performance package, probably with a lot of the technology reserved for Caddys striped out of it, I just don't think would work.

Well the one thing we know is that it will use the twin turbo v6 from the caddy that has 420. It probably won't beat the vetted but probably will be comparable to the ctsv or camaro Mustang

No matter what Generic Motors comes out with, I am not buying it and sticking with mine.

No matter what Generic Motors comes out with, I am not buying it and sticking with mine.
You say that like we're talking about trading our Grand Nationals for the new one? All I'm saying is if I have to have a daily driver, it would be neat if it's a Grand National. That's all.

You say that like we're talking about trading our Grand Nationals for the new one? All I'm saying is if I have to have a daily driver, it would be neat if it's a Grand National. That's all.
Not my intention.

I have no intention of owning a rebadged caddy ats. Sorry it does not have the same wow factor to what the GN did and it is too difficult to repeat. There is a rebirth of muscle cars and it will just be washed in the mid life crisis of cars. There is no mystique to this.

Well mostly everything out there is rebadged in some way, always has been. "Even the G-body's"

Well mostly everything out there is rebadged in some way, always has been. "Even the G-body's"
True, but what makes the Turbo Regal different than the rest? Did the other G bodies have a 3.8 liter Turbo in them? Think about it....

All I am saying I am not interested in it, and just stating my opinion, I am not to pursuade you from dropping a pretty coin on a re-badged cadillac and if you do, I hope you enjoy the car.
There will never be a replacement for the original.

True, but what makes the Turbo Regal different than the rest? Did the other G bodies have a 3.8 liter Turbo in them? Think about it....

All I am saying I am not interested in it, and just stating my opinion, I am not to pursuade you from dropping a pretty coin on a re-badged cadillac and if you do, I hope you enjoy the car.

Once again, it's not replacing anything. What is your daily driver now?

Once again, it's not replacing anything. What is your daily driver now?
Where did I say replace current vehicle? Do what you want to do I am not going to have a conversation with someone that puts words in my mouth or has difficulty comprehending what I am saying.

See above. "There will never be a replacement for the original". Your words.

Now you're saying you don't want a rebadged cadillac for a daily driver and I'm asking what's better out there? A mustang, a camaro? It's not replacing our original Grand Nationals. It's just a new model.

It's kind of like opening Christmas presents when you know they are all socks. Why? You do what you want and I truly hope you enjoy it.

If it's a 2dr, American, twin turbo, rwd, looks cool, fast..... It already sounds like a winner if it's true. And not since the last true horse power wars of the late 60'-early 70's has there been so many bad ass cars to pick from that are American. This is fun and truly exciting for any car guy. I'm sure that very soon there will be plenty of videos coming forward of 10sec power twin turbo V6's.

Last edited:
And on that note
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1389728977.899561.jpg