New Grand National Owner

csmwiese

I've owned many muscle cars but this is my first Grand National. I have a 1987 Grand National with 28K, that I got last week. Engine compartment looks stock, I noticed it has a larger down pipe, ATR Cold Air, Test pipe and cat back system. I have not taken it to the strip but it feels slower than my LS1 Z-28 convertible that turns 12.89 @106. I would like my Grand National to do about the same, and keep a mostly stock look. I was thinking of getting a larger stock location intercooler, but I'm not sure what to do and don't want to spend a ton of money getting there. Give me you opinion, Please. Thanks

Attachments

• Grand National 1.jpg
    Grand National 1.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 549
If the fuel pump is up to it, you can do it with what you have - just add lots of boost and good tires.

Do lots of reading. Need scan tool, no knocking or leaning out!

lots of good stuff at the GN T-Type Org

Welcome to the Darkside. If you don't want to spend a ton of money sell the car now because these cars are money pits!;)

First off congrats on the car it is nice. I agree Turbo Tweak chips are the best. If fuel pump has not been upgraded do it so you don't run lean and get a hotwire kit for it too. Also get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a scanmaster so you can monitor everything. Get a boost gauge.

1 suggestion, get a part time job, you'll see why in the future. Have fun with it, and enjoy every running second of it;)

Money

Welcome to the Darkside. If you don't want to spend a ton of money sell the car now because these cars are money pits!;)

you got that right sometimes my car stays in the garage for couple of weeks before i get money to get that certain part.

Don't add too much boost without alky! You will go through head gaskets! Nice car, if you don't abuse it too much, you will not have spend alot of money.

Congrats

These cars are way Kool man . That's great that you picked up a very nice low mileage one. She's a beaut... For sure get a ScanMaster 1st . A larger SLIC would be a very nice upgrade down the road, you may consider Alky and Turbo Tweak chip before the IC. So that you only spend a half a ton of money you might buy used. Lot of guys upgrade to larger turbos , injectors, FMIC. so alot of times you can get some low mileage equipment at a reasonable cost. Picked up a a good clean TE-44 turbo for $250, also a Translator and 3.5" MAF for $150. Some very goodguys on here and are very knowledgable and most of all willing to help out. Have fun and welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard. That looks like a very clean car. There are several must have's when owning a turbo Buick.

First you need a scan tool or you are just flying blind. Get a Scanmaster from Full throttle.
Second you need to make sure you can feed the engine with an upgraded fuel pump and fuel pump hotwire kit. This is also a good time to get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
Before you start tuning you need to do a good spring cleaning. You can view that here: The Grand National / T-Type / Turbo Regal Buick Spring Cleaning Guide
Once the you know the car is in tip top condition you can start turning up the boost with the right kind of fuel or as most of us here prefer a methanol injection kit.

Take your time and have fun!

I've owned many muscle cars but this is my first Grand National. I have a 1987 Grand National with 28K, that I got last week. Engine compartment looks stock, I noticed it has a larger down pipe, ATR Cold Air, Test pipe and cat back system. I have not taken it to the strip but it feels slower than my LS1 Z-28 convertible that turns 12.89 @106. I would like my Grand National to do about the same, and keep a mostly stock look. I was thinking of getting a larger stock location intercooler, but I'm not sure what to do and don't want to spend a ton of money getting there. Give me you opinion, Please. Thanks

I have not taken it to the strip but it feels slower than my LS1 Z-28 convertible that turns 12.89 @106. I would like my Grand National to do about the same,

12.89 eh...hmmmm thats pretty quick for these cars:p
you should post your location and find someone within a few miles with some parts on their car to take you for a real ride...muhahahahahaha

sweeeet looking car bud, get ready to upgrade..and as soon as you do..you'll be upgrading your upgrades.

post pics of under the hood. and upclose shots of the injectors with numbers from injectors

Welcome to the Darkside! The car looks great. It is very easy to go 12's with these cars. Just take your time, ask lots of questions. You will find massive amounts of good info on this site and gnttype.org. Good Luck.

Welcome! Very nice car! If I were you I would leave it be as is a nice low mile unmolested car in that condition is a good find. Race the LS1 and enjoy the GN :) just my $0.02 but good luck what ever you do

Congrats on the find. From the pics it looks really nice. Before you start hammering on it read all you can on the Turbo Regal Web Site site, some of their stuff is a little outdated but the basics are what you need to deal with now. Smart finding a low mileage car to start out with. Leaving the car stock isn't much fun but there are some here that prefer that. Enjoy the car and if you are planning on racing it, there is now way you are going to do that without modifying it.

Like others have said, you need to get a scan tool first before you start worrying about turning up the boost. Since the car does have some mods on it already, I am sure it is probably already turned up! Tell us a little more to see where you are at.

Lots of knowedgeable people around here.

I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I do want to keep mostly all stock just a little quicker that stock is all. It seems like every post I read looking for simple mods are guys who their cars turn in the 10 sec range. When I do a Google search I really don't get much of anything on those simple mods to start with. I was thinking a chip & stretched SLIC to go with the stock looking ATR cold air, test pipe and cat back & Down Pipe should get me in the low 13's??? Look at the photo of the motor and let me know if you see anything else I have. Thanks, Clint

Attachments

• Grand National 4.jpg
    Grand National 4.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 376
  • Grand National 6.jpg
    Grand National 6.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 381
It already has an adjustable fuel press. reg. Good chance the fuel pump has already been upgraded. Check to see if it has a hotwire kit on it. Look for it on the back of the alternator and out back under the bumper by the fuel tank, there with be a relay there. Good chance it has a chip in it you should take the cover off the ecm and check.

You already have a 3 or 3.5 inch downpipe.Maybe a terry houston.You also have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.Also i am sur you know that you also have vacuum brakes instead of the powermaster.It looks like you found 1 clean car.