New GN owner from NJ

Don Smith

I just purchased my 87 GN from an original owner with 58k original miles. The sad part is the car sat outside without being started for 3 years. Not sure if I am going to be able salvage the clear coat. I will drain all the fluids this week, replace all filters, prime the oil and hope she starts up. I will be asking a lot of questions as I am used to working on the old 60's/70's carb motors, never had a turbo. This site looks like it has all the answers to all my questions so far.
Don

Put some pictures of before and after when you get a chance. Welcome to the gn world. You'll love it or hate it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Don,
Welcome to the site.:) Lots of good info and great people here. Let us know what you need.

Happy Spooling.
Mike Barnard

Got the car home and had time to go over it and had additional conversations with the original owner. The car was driven as a daily driver for 6 years. He took it off the road in 1993 with 60,101 miles on it. 1993 NJ inspection sticker still on window. Fot the next 7 years he started it and drove it around the block every month or so. In 2010 he moved and never touched the car again.
It sat with 7 gals of gas in the sun with no cover. The car has all options except power seats. It has a digital dash and a dealer installed sun roof.
For the heck of it I tried to charge the battery and realized it had an after market alarm system when it started going off. It took 3 hours on Saturday to unwire it. I have a basketball size ball of alarm wiring. The dash came on hence the 7 gals of gas. The paint has bird crap marks all over it. I am assuming its going to need a paint job. Of course the bumper inserts are all cracked as well as the outside window molding.
So my plan is as follows:
Replace oil, its 20 degrees in NJ so I hope most flows out.
Drain gas tank - not sure what to do with 7 gals of 10 year old gas. Replace with new gas 2.5 gals at a time.
Replace in-line gas filter
Change plugs - crank engine by hand when plugs are out. Have AC delco 43TS's to go back in.
Replace battery
Crank engine with brown/orange disconnected to prime and reconnect and hope it starts.
First thing to buy:
ScanMaster - turbo tweak to start with.
I'll get pics posted this long weekend.
Been reading everything I can in the site. Tons of great information. But I am sure I will have a lot of questions. I have restored many 68/69camaros in my past so ECM's and turbo's are new to me.
My first concern was when I was trying to charge the battery something was running under the blower motor in the engine compartment. The key wasnt in so I wasnt sure what the heck that was. It wasnt the blower and I hope thate wilh a new battery and alarm system out it wouldnt be any issue but this weekend I'll know for sure.
Don

Hello Don and welcome!

Enjoy the new car and Like you I'm an old muscle car guy so there is a lot to learn on these cars. Take your time and have some fun.

I'm in Jackson. Ive seen at least one GN running around town every now and then plus a GNX at the lowes Saturday car shows.

Thanks, I didn't think of that. It makes sense since I had the radio out trying to disconnect/ unwire an alarm system.
Thanks again!!