New cars getting FASTER!

Little6pack

Several cars can give you headaches depending on how serious your Biuck is.

No particular order:

BMW 540i
BMW M series
Lexus GS400
Mercedes S500, S600-(watch out!)
Mercedes AMG's
Subaru WRX
Vette
Ford Lighting

ALL OF THE ABOVE RUN 14's or 13's
Not too shabby. There are many more examples I am sure.

Would be nice to see a few more American models in this list.

Ok--on the american made stuff::
ADD:

any ls-1 powered car
Ford mustang(mach 1 or cobra)
Dodge srt-4
pontiac gto

that's a few more

Geoff

Gee, a new $30K that might beat a stockish 15 YO Buick, excuse me if I'm not impressed.

Add $3K to any old 86-87 Turbo Buick and just smoke by em.

Add a stock Regal GS....I haven't taken mine to the track but I am pretty confident that it could run in the 14s.

Gee, a new $30K that might beat a stockish 15 YO Buick, excuse me if I'm not impressed.

Jesus, can this LAME arguement go away soon?, like now. Talk about beating a dead horse. :rolleyes:

Like the GN was a cheap car in 87'

BT

Settle down Frances....:p I don't think the point is so much the money but rather that technology has had a TON of time to improve in 15 years but the Buford is still a pretty hard charger despite all that time.

It is not age vs age

It is more like BOY you gotta spend $30k to do what a 15+ year old car can do anyway. :)

Well if you take the 17k or so dollars that GN cost new in 87 and adjust for inflation then it really isn't that great of a deal....I'd stick with the age argument.

true but the GN's are much cheaper to aquire now. Only the low mile ones are fetching higher money.

Originally posted by littlesixsteve
Several cars can give you headaches depending on how serious your Biuck is.

No particular order:

BMW 540i
BMW M series
Lexus GS400
Mercedes S500, S600-(watch out!)
Mercedes AMG's
Subaru WRX
Vette
Ford Lighting

ALL OF THE ABOVE RUN 14's or 13's
Not too shabby. There are many more examples I am sure.

Would be nice to see a few more American models in this list.
The E-55 Amg Mercedes runs mid 12's at around 115MPH......There was a guy at E-Town a couple weeks ago With one running 12.40@114 with a full tank of gas and a temp plate still in the window....HE even let his girlfriend run it...She never raced a car before and was the first time she drove that car...She ran 12.70@111...Not too shabby

there is also a twin turbo AMG model Mercedes...It is there big 2dr coupe..Top of the line(130K..)...I forget the model,,,I was at Atco raceway a few weeks ago and there was a guy there with one running 12.0@121...All stock except for a computer mod..:eek:

Originally posted by BlownZ
Settle down Frances....:p I don't think the point is so much the money but rather that technology has had a TON of time to improve in 15 years but the Buford is still a pretty hard charger despite all that time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The 3.8 Turbo and related technology was YEARS ahead of its time. The fact that they are so easily and cheaply modified into qtr. mile killers that compete or best most cars today is my proof. Plus, they are DAMN durable, even when abused and used hard. They wouldn't have put them in some of Indy cars if they were fragile. Personally, I think that the development of the motor validates the existence of time travel......technology from the future made its way into the dark ages.....LOL!!!

Alan

Only one new car am I thouroughly impressed with and that's the '03 Cobra. Most of those other cars on the lists take mucho $$ to make serious HP. I'll put it like this. The Supra is normally considered the HP king of the import world. Do a search on their forum and see which cars pop most often as ones that they would be afraid to line up with. The GN and '03 Cobra are the ones that pop up consistently.

Just my $.02

These arguments are probably along the same lines of the bench racing arguments the big block Chevy and Hemi Chrysler guys had back in 86 & 87 about the Turbo Buicks.
The most feared cars in the early to mid 80's were always the 12 second big block Chevys and Hemi Chryslers. They were the high water mark that performance was measured to.
After them it was the Turbo Buicks. Unfortunately times change and there are other big boys on the block now that run as fast or faster stock and have the same potential for going really fast.
Anyone who truly belives cars havent improved since 1987 should get their head out of their arse.
I know you love your Buicks and probably want to be buried in them. You can continue to argue about how your 17 y/o, $5k Buick can do such and such with modifications, but in the end, it will still be a 17 y/o (and aging) car that doesnt have OR come with:
4 wheel disc brakes
air bags
Independent rear suspension
Traction control
Full leather articulating and bolster equipt seats
Anti Lock brakes
rack and pinion steering
a drag coefficient below .40
Skid pad abilities exceeding .90 G's
and Oh yeah! A new car warranty and having even cleaner tail pipe emissions. Keep the excuses coming guys! You are dreaming up some good ones :D ;) :p :rolleyes:

Originally posted by GNVAIR

I agree that most of those are good things except this one. Ever popped a half shaft on an '03 Cobra? Freakin IRS on those has got to be made of glass. Should have had an option of a live axle and called it the "drag pack".

Originally posted by efi-street
I agree that most of those are good things except this one. Ever popped a half shaft on an '03 Cobra? Freakin IRS on those has got to be made of glass. Should have had an option of a live axle and called it the "drag pack".

I havent heard of any of the locals breaking anything on the IRS on the 03's. I do know plenty of guys that broke stuff on the 99's and 01's.
Ford made a lot of improvements on the 03's IRS.
The problem on the older models were small 28 spline yokes and small shafts along with very soft bushings which caused wheel hop. Ford rectified it on the 03's with stiffer bushings and 31 spline axles along with larger diamtere shafts and joints. The aluminum rear cover which also located the back of the differential would actually crack or break off the cross member.
That piece was reinforced as well.
I do know Nitrous Pete has his 03 in the high 9's now and is still running the stock IRS. The only problem is that NHRA frowns on any IRS on 9.99 or faster cars, so I am sure a live axle is in his future. But I am sure the stock IRS is fine for the 10 second or slower street guys.

These arguments are probably along the same lines of the bench racing arguments the big block Chevy and Hemi Chrysler guys had back in 86 & 87 about the Turbo Buicks.
The most feared cars in the early to mid 80's were always the 12 second big block Chevys and Hemi Chryslers. They were the high water mark that performance was measured to.
After them it was the Turbo Buicks. Unfortunately times change and there are other big boys on the block now that run as fast or faster stock and have the same potential for going really fast.
Anyone who truly belives cars havent improved since 1987 should get their head out of their arse.
I know you love your Buicks and probably want to be buried in them. You can continue to argue about how your 17 y/o, $5k Buick can do such and such with modifications, but in the end, it will still be a 17 y/o (and aging) car that doesnt have OR come with:
4 wheel disc brakes
Traction control
Full leather articulating and bolster equipt seats
Anti Lock brakes
rack and pinion steering
a drag coefficient below .40
Skid pad abilities exceeding .90 G's
and Oh yeah! A new car warranty. Keep the excuses coming guys! You are dreaming up some good ones :D ;) :p :rolleyes:

Hmmm.........And you own a GN??? Who the **** cares if your "aging Buick" has friggin traction control, or a "a drag coefficient below .40". Are you serious??? Most people own a Turbo Regal because they love the style and PERFORMANCE. NOT because of ANY of the reasons you listed above. You want " Full leather articulating and bolster equipt seats " then buy a Caddy. Bottom line is that our 16-17 year old "grandfathers Buicks" are one of the most feared cars to pull up to at a traffic light. And thats why they are probally the most talked about on other boards. May I suggest you buy a 35-40k new car with a "warranty" if your worried about breakage. I'll just keep "dreaming" that I really did beat that $40k Vette with my $5k lowly Regal!!;) :eek:

I havent heard of any of the locals breaking anything on the IRS on the 03's. I do know plenty of guys that broke stuff on the 99's and 01's.
Ford made a lot of improvements on the 03's IRS.
The problem on the older models were small 28 spline yokes and small shafts along with very soft bushings which caused wheel hop. The aluminum rear cover which also located the back of the differential would actually crack or break off the cross member.
That piece was reinforced as well.
I do know Nitrous Pete has his 03 in the high 9's now and is still running the stock IRS. The only problem is that NHRA frowns on any IRS on 9.99 or faster cars, so I am sure a live axle is in his future. But I am sure the stock IRS is fine for the 10 second or slower street guys.

I've heard of plenty. Trust me. I sold my '03 3 months ago. (check sig for pics). Plenty of guys are popping halfshafts due to excessive wheel hop. Have you seen Nitrous Pete launch? That's easily a high 8 second car with a live axle. He totally babies the car off the line. I was paranoid about launching my '03 for fear of breaking one.
For another example, the Supras are IRS also and don't launch for crap at the drag strip. I know it's better for the curves, but that's not the way I drive. YMMV. I've had PLENTY of modern high performance vehicles and I'll tell you why I return to the Buicks every time. The culture surrounding the TR's is much friendlier and helpful than any of the other marque's that I've owned. For that alone, I dub the Buicks superior :D

Originally posted by hot6-231
Hmmm.........And you own a GN??? Who the **** cares if your "aging Buick" has friggin traction control, or a "a drag coefficient below .40". Are you serious??? Most people own a Turbo Regal because they love the style and PERFORMANCE. NOT because of ANY of the reasons you listed above. You want " Full leather articulating and bolster equipt seats " then buy a Caddy. Bottom line is that our 16-17 year old "grandfathers Buicks" are one of the most feared cars to pull up to at a traffic light. And thats why they are probally the most talked about on other boards. May I suggest you buy a 35-40k new car with a "warranty" if your worried about breakage. I'll just keep "dreaming" that I really did beat that $40k Vette with my $5k lowly Regal!!;) :eek:

I do have a Buick and I respect it for what it is...which is a rather outdated chassis and brakes with a powerful engine.

p.s. The reason why the Buicks or Buick guys are talked about on the other boards are because of hot headed responses like yours. Buick guys have a serious bad reputation as cry babies now and it does show.

Long live the GN!,the most feared at a stoplight! I would'nt trade my outdated chassis and unpredictable powermaster brakes for any new fangled crap.:D

I love these kinds of conversations. I always think about just how cool our cars are. Yeah, they are big boxes for the most part, the handle for crap, you get scared when you hit the brakes because you are hoping this isn't the time they decide to stop working. They have their issues but so do other cars. We just don't know enough about most other cars to pick them apart like we do our own.

All I know is when I get in my car I have tons of room, I am comfortable, and when I hear that woosh it brings a smile to my face everytime. When I go out crusing I always get 1-2 thumbs up. When I am at a light there is a good chance the guy next to me will try to race me, even girls will try it occasionally. People pull up next to me on the highway and try to taunt me to race. I will race most people, I know I may lose sometimes depending on what they are driving, (Z06 for example) but most of the time the other guy is more concerned about losing than me. Why? because I could have a 10 second car and from where he is sitting he won't know.

I just enjoy my car. I don't need to brag to people how fast it is, if they know anything about our cars they know they are fast. Why do I have to try and tell them. If they don't know about our cars chances are me telling them won't make a difference anyway.