New Car for Troopers!

faster

One of my customers is a Sargeant with the Florida State Troopers. He was telling me Ford showed up to demonstrate and let them test a Mercury Marauder that was powered with the same supercharged 5.4 that is in the Ford GT. He said the car did 202 MPH at some test location. Even with the GT motor 202 is still hard to believe.
But, he said, Florida said no way they get to have any. I'm glad because they would drive worse than us hot rod guys anyway.

Mikey

Ford had a car a while back called the Crown Vic. Black Hawk they toyed with selling.. It was powered by a 5.4 SC engine too, from the Lightning, not the GT..Still was slower than my old 96 SS.. LOL

It would take much more than a Ford GT engine to make a Mercury Marauder go 202 mph. A couple hundred HP more.

FHP will barely be able to afford their yearly allotted cars due to Floridas Amendment 1 for some time to come. Needless to say they wont buy into anything new or fancy.

Give me your buddies name so the next time I get a speeding ticket I can say FHP don't know chit about speed. Geez. If a Winston Cup car that weighs 500 pounds less with 100 more HP only does 180 and change what makes him think that car does 202? Just goes to show most LEOs aren't car guys.:mad:

You know what I'd really have to ask the Ford guys? WTF did you drop that motor in a heavy pig like the GrandMarquis? A CVPI would have been the obvious choice.

Florida Highway Patrol

DSC00091.jpg

46contropanel.jpg

46minicam1.jpg

46rearstrobes1.jpg

digital-camera-172.jpg

digital-camera-255.jpg

It would take much more than a Ford GT engine to make a Mercury Marauder go 202 mph. A couple hundred HP more.

I agree, some Nascar engine builder was in a show on the speed channel and I remember him responding in that interview that it takes 700 horspower for a Cup car to maintain 200 MPH. Now that Marauder isn't even close to the aeordynamics of the Cup car.

I just thought it was interesting to here a trooper tell a fish story.

Mikey

The reason pre restrictor plate NASCAR cars can go 200+ mph (besides the aero) is that they can rev to 8000 - 9000+ RPM.

The dash shows a 7K rpm tach. I'll bet over 160 mph all the acceleration is pretty much done.

Sounds like a typical BS car story to me.

BTW weight has almost nothing to do with top speed. Just acceleration.

FYI, talking to a friend last week that works for Ford. We were talking about that Mercury, he said they did make one up with the 750H.P. optional engine that you are supposed to be able to buy in one of the new Mustangs that do NOT come with a warrantee. Just for demonstration purposes.

With 750 H.P. it just might be able to hit 200 MPH!

FHP is about to give those Marauders up. They were provided to them with a private donation. They are 2 or 3 year lease cars and not owned by the state. The unfortunate issue is that they have by passed buying replacement vehicles for those Marauders. Its should be interesting what happens when the lease is up.

Probably the same thing that happened to us..We had 3 patrol cars given to us for the high amount of DWI arrests in town.. Chief opted not to buy any cars for a while.. Needless to say when they started to fall apart, there wasn't any money budgeted for new ones.. Took several years and alot of money spend on repairs to bring us back to spec..

175mph topps. The new 620HP ZR1 Vette is saying it will top off around 200HP and it has one of the best aero profiles of any car ever built.

One of my customers is a Sargeant with the Florida State Troopers. He was telling me Ford showed up to demonstrate and let them test a Mercury Marauder that was powered with the same supercharged 5.4 that is in the Ford GT. He said the car did 202 MPH at some test location. Even with the GT motor 202 is still hard to believe.
But, he said, Florida said no way they get to have any. I'm glad because they would drive worse than us hot rod guys anyway.

Mikey

Florida Troopers are some of the worst payed Troopers in the country yet deal with some of the highest drug trafficking H-ways in the world. They should raise their pay before they do anything IMO. Btw, Sargeant is spelled Sergeant....:biggrin: