New Car for Troopers!

FHP is about to give those Marauders up. They were provided to them with a private donation. They are 2 or 3 year lease cars and not owned by the state. The unfortunate issue is that they have by passed buying replacement vehicles for those Marauders. Its should be interesting what happens when the lease is up.

I always thought the FHP owned those MMs. Here's a thread I did back when the story hit the local papers A New Weapon For Law Enforcement??? - TurboBuicks.com
Okay right away I smelled something going on. Now if you read my rants in a few threads posted here you know I'm quite the conspiracy theorist. I read between the lines and came to the conclusion that these 18 MMs are a tax write off to Ford. Two things came to my mind. Ford settled out of court for a couple of FHP CrownVic gas tank fires. And Ford had just annouced they canned MM production due to slow sales. Too bad my newspaper link has disappeared. The writing was totally different than FHPs press release found on their website FHP - FHP Unveils Latest Stealth Vehicle/120904

Kind of a funny story from back in 2001 when FHP got their B4C Camaros. I used to work with a guy that was apechit for Camaros so he was estatic when FHP got them. Now I'm reading the local paper on the FHP and their latest go fast toy and it says. more or less, that the top ticket writers in each troop got first dibs on the Camaros. My comment was you know if the blue light comes on and there is a Camaro in your mirror than you know you aint talking yourself out of a ticket. When FHP or other agencies say they dont have quotas all I need to do is remember that they have other incentive programs to reward their people. How many troopers got burned on not getting a Camaro only to be reassured that there will be other incentives rolling down the road in their future?

BTW How much additional training do you need for the MM? It's a F'n CrownVic afterall! You mean to tell me troopers aren't trained to drive fast?:confused:

BTW How much additional training do you need for the MM? It's a F'n CrownVic afterall! You mean to tell me troopers aren't trained to drive fast?:confused:

They have to train them that crap you can get away with at 90 mph in a CV will get you killed at 135 mph in a MM.

FHP is about to give those Marauders up. They were provided to them with a private donation. They are 2 or 3 year lease cars and not owned by the state. The unfortunate issue is that they have by passed buying replacement vehicles for those Marauders. Its should be interesting what happens when the lease is up.

Damn, just think of the crack ho's you could run down in that:biggrin:

When I had my Crown Vic Sport, it would out handle and out power my work CVPI. I had the CVPI at 100mph and it was unstable. I had the CV Sport at 112mph (governed) and it was smooth and stable. I sold the CV Sport and bought a Marauder.

The Marauder will do circles around the CVPI and CV Sport. The CV Sport and Marauder both have an airbag suspension while the CVPI has coils. The Marauder also 18" wheels.

The Marauder was made to compete against the Impala. The Marauder was overpriced and did not sell well. I like my Marauder. I wanted an American 4 door rear wheel drive car and that's my main reason I bought the Marauder.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

The MM was one of my top choices for the wife but I couldn't find one in my small price range.

Why does the Hwy patrol need such fast cars for anyway?
The radio is what does all of the work anyway.

BTW does anyone know where to get one of those Camera and Mic set ups?
I want to put it on two of my cars.

When a cop is working traffic up on the highway you need as much power to get the car up to a catch up speed as quickly as possible...otherwise your driving like an ******* for a longer period of time trying to get caught up.

Look at it this way.... I'm in one of the slower patrol cars, your going 90 mph north bound, I'm patrolling south bound at 75 mph...that's a 15 mph difference. By the time I get a radar lock on your speed, get slowed down so the guy behind me doesn't run into the rear of my car, blow through the median in a fairly safe manner, get turned around facing north, wait for traffic to go by and find a clearing in the road and start accelerating again...your long gone! With the quicker cars that time from getting turned around facing north and catching up to you is decreased significantly...thus less time I'm driving like a bat out of hell trying to catch up...make sense?

I went from a very happy Vic slick top that would run in the mid 130's and get there in a hurry, to a special service Expedition for my K9 which has a top speed of 104. I had to completely revamp my style of working traffic on the highway.

I almost had the Sheriff talked into a Magnum hemi for next year but that idea was shot to hell with the demise of the Magnum program:mad: I guess I'll try for a Charger hemi and have to deal with having no room for the sake of speed.

When a cop is working traffic up on the highway you need as much power to get the car up to a catch up speed as quickly as possible...otherwise your driving like an ******* for a longer period of time trying to get caught up.

Look at it this way.... I'm in one of the slower patrol cars, your going 90 mph north bound, I'm patrolling south bound at 75 mph...that's a 15 mph difference. By the time I get a radar lock on your speed, get slowed down so the guy behind me doesn't run into the rear of my car, blow through the median in a fairly safe manner, get turned around facing north, wait for traffic to go by and find a clearing in the road and start accelerating again...your long gone! With the quicker cars that time from getting turned around facing north and catching up to you is decreased significantly...thus less time I'm driving like a bat out of hell trying to catch up...make sense?

I went from a very happy Vic slick top that would run in the mid 130's and get there in a hurry, to a special service Expedition for my K9 which has a top speed of 104. I had to completely revamp my style of working traffic on the highway.

I almost had the Sheriff talked into a Magnum hemi for next year but that idea was shot to hell with the demise of the Magnum program:mad: I guess I'll try for a Charger hemi and have to deal with having no room for the sake of speed.

Thats a damm good reason why. For you guys with get out of speeding tickets free cards. ;)

lol

Damn, just think of the crack ho's you could run down in that:biggrin:

:biggrin:

A friend of mine is about to become a FHP and it concerns me about the rumors I hear of how little they pay and yes in sarasota the crack is bad. I was there last month and seen one wearing a t shirt that said " OUR CRACKHEADS CAN BEAT UP YOUR CRACKHEADS " :p

Turbov6Joe,
I did not know they would run that fast. I do know that they are considerably quicker and faster that the CV's. Ive had 2 emergency situations in which I had to flex that little cars muscle. Once to a shooting in progress and a second was a drunk driver with a baby in the back seat. These cars will run over from 50 to 110 in no time at all. They are also stable and very smooth.

Not to change the subject but when I started in Police work 14 years ago FHP was only starting at 15k a year. They had outragously strict ticket quotas to deal with, no back up, poor insurance. The only good part back the was that they had 5.0s..

Their pay has dragged along to this day. Pay increases subtancially as you head to south Florida.

Turbov6Joe,
I did not know they would run that fast. I do know that they are considerably quicker and faster that the CV's. Ive had 2 emergency situations in which I had to flex that little cars muscle. Once to a shooting in progress and a second was a drunk driver with a baby in the back seat. These cars will run over from 50 to 110 in no time at all. They are also stable and very smooth.

Yes, even the not so happy motors will run into the 130's no problem...especially without a light bar. Our old body style Chevys were not near as fast, whatever they did to the newer ones they did right. I was just having supper with a trooper who told me that KHP got a memo from Chevrolet talking about the upcoming rear wheel drive Impalas. The base motor for the police package is right around 300 HP with 2 larger motor options at 400 HP and 425 HP:eek: They are going to be larger overall with a bunch of new bells and whistles.

Ever since the CV went to drive by wire, they suck:mad: . I drive a stealth car (no overheads) but marked. With my previous stealth car, I was the lead car in a pursuit with a Chysler 300 with a Hemi. I was on him and he couldn't get away from me. Oh BTW he was caught in the end :biggrin: I can't comment on the new Impalas. One of the dealerships brought one up as a test and we returned it for lack of room, we ride doubles at night and they don't have the room. Our fleet consists of CV, Explorers and Expeditions.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Ha, highway patrol. You should see the toys our tiny little town just bought in the last year. Before the flood in 06, I lived in a much larger town, right off the interstate, and things were bad... they were chasing down people in old caprices still, and they even went after someone in their E150 paddywagon once. They only have 1 beat up 96 Camaro for high speed pursuit.

When I moved back home, to my surprise this little town got 3 new toys. Before, all we had was a caprice and I wanna say it was a lumina.
Now we have
1. 08 Impala SS (yes its an SS), low pro light bar.. Sheriffs car
2. 07 Explorer 4x4..Town Patrol vehicle
3. Brand spankin new Hemi Charger. That thing is sweet. And the one time I saw it take off in pursuit, it was gone in a flash. You could still hear the hemi even after you couldn't see the car anymore..lol.

All this for a township that has 1 main roadway, and 2 villages that are only 6 miles apart with a total population of something like 1900. There are only 2 traffic lights in the whole township. Too bad they spent all their money on those. All our towns plow trucks have broken down at least once this winter. The last big snow storm we had, a neighboring towns plow helped us out, since the motor blew in the one, and the trans went in the other. They had the little F350 village plows out doing the main road, and those two just couldnt keep up with the snow.
Those cars spend more time at Stewarts parking lot than they do on the road. I suppose they don't have enough budget left for tires or gas...lol.

Their pay has dragged along to this day. Pay increases subtancially as you head to south Florida.

But so does the cost of living. Sometimes I think FHPs problem is that they think all of FL is the same as Tallahassee.Cost of living wise. Hopefully that fatal 70 car pile up on I-4 a couple of months ago shakes something up to the fact.

You know if you drive by FHP troop HQ in Orlando(436 at the 408) You'll see the same string of about 12 CVPIs lined up against the street. They haven't moved in at least a month.And they aint going to auction. They still have the lights and decals. Yep you're right on the fact that it will be awhile before FHP gets some new patrol cars.