New Buick Regal (Turbo)......affect?

BlueLimited87

How will the All new Buick Regal (specifically the Turbo version) affect or impact the value of our 86-87 versions of the TR??? Thought about this after flipping thru the latest Moter Trend Mag, which on the cover it states...... "Buick is Back" with the all new Regal.

I normally don't read MT, but I bought that issue yesterday. Notice the nod to the GNX at the back?

I don't think anything will change. It might make a nice daily driver, but its not like it would take away from people considering buying a GN or T. The new Regal is just a rebaged Opel. Its nice, I'd buy one for a DD. But its comparing apples to oranges in the new version versus the old version. I doubt it will be a classic or collectible in any way shape or form like our version is.
Its not really going to be anything special. Look at what the GN, GNX were, and the competition at the time.. it stood out. The Camaro couldn't keep up, the Vette got beat, and Mustangs got a taste of reality. But right now, those same vehicles have the upper hand. Look at the cars MT compares the Buicks to. The new Regal just isn't a modern musclecar/pony car killer like our version was.

it is the same car in name only. most of the people that buy it won't make the connection between their shiny new commuter car and your 25 year old polluting earth killer.

How will the All new Buick Regal (specifically the Turbo version) affect or impact the value of our 86-87 versions of the TR??? Thought about this after flipping thru the latest Moter Trend Mag, which on the cover it states...... "Buick is Back" with the all new Regal
i dont think it will affect it at all.

How will the All new Buick Regal (specifically the Turbo version) affect or impact the value of our 86-87 versions of the TR???

not one single bit, doesn't matter what a magazine says about it.

this new turbo buick has nothing in common with ours, therefore it will not affect us.

in fact it will probably only shine light on us more.

signing off the business before family site,
peace

Won't make a pinch of chit difference to "us".

I mean c'mon, a piece of American Muscle car history getting forgotten about by a FWD, 4-door, luxury car.....:rolleyes:

Even if the General makes the GN model a 2 dr, it won't matter. The car will still be a FWD luxury car.

Our GN's are a bad-a$$, RWD, wolf in sheeps clothing. Maybe a luxury car for the time, but by todays luxury description standards, our 86-87's are just ground pounding monsters.:biggrin:

Any effects will be positive only. HOPEFULLY it will give our cars a new appreciation from the collector car community. I know for me who is relatively new to the TR world (7-8 years :cool:) when I got rid of older cars to go all in with the Buicks I got a lot of chit and still do from my big block buddies just due to the cost involved in a quality Buick. There joke is big block small ****, small block average, v6 you gotta be hung like a horse!!!! :D :D I feel any article coming out about the new turbo Buick HAS to mention our cars and can only reflect well for the future collectability of our cars since they are such a marvel for the era.... IMO

bringing topic back....
I just looked at a recent issue of Car and Driver i think....talking about best cars of the US...it includes the Opel based Buick Regal, and the turbo version of it..get this, estimated weight for it is 3500-3700 pounds, 182HP/172ft lb 4 cyl dohc engine as the base engine, the turbo one is 220hp/258ft lb....nice its going to have a manual, but all other things being equal...a 3500 pound car with 182 HP 4 banger......and to think we had a 200+hp NA v6 in the later years of the fwd cars....hell, EPA estimates for it are at 18-20mpg for the turbo, 29-30 for the NA i think....wow. no one is going to fall over themselves to buy it at $28,000 to 30K depending on dealer gouging.

That new Regal is hideous, its no wonder Buick cars are on their last legs in North America.

bringing topic back....
I just looked at a recent issue of Car and Driver i think....talking about best cars of the US...it includes the Opel based Buick Regal, and the turbo version of it..get this, estimated weight for it is 3500-3700 pounds, 182HP/172ft lb 4 cyl dohc engine as the base engine, the turbo one is 220hp/258ft lb....nice its going to have a manual, but all other things being equal...a 3500 pound car with 182 HP 4 banger......and to think we had a 200+hp NA v6 in the later years of the fwd cars....hell, EPA estimates for it are at 18-20mpg for the turbo, 29-30 for the NA i think....wow. no one is going to fall over themselves to buy it at $28,000 to 30K depending on dealer gouging.

See 2003-current Saab 9-3. Also based off the Opel. We've had this "Buick" for years, its just been wrapped in different clothes. They will come available with the same haldex awd system that has been recently available for the Saabs (2008-current). Very similar curb weight. Close on the HP/tq numbers also.

FWIW, I cannot speak ill of the 9-3, as I have daily driven one (Aero model w/ 2.8v6 turbo) for over a year and enjoy it as much as one can possibly enjoy a daily driver. Just merely pointing out there are no groundbreaking mechanical dissimilarities. Also there is no correlation between this new Buick and our Buicks.

It won't matter. Buick Grand Nationals will still be worth half what they should be because they don't have a bowtie emblem on the decklid.

Buick sales this year are way up from the last 5 years....The new Turbo Regal has 20psi from the factory!!!!!!!!!!

Give them a year or 2 and the car will be even better.

Pete

Buick sales this year are way up from the last 5 years....The new Turbo Regal has 20psi from the factory!!!!!!!!!!

Give them a year or 2 and the car will be even better.

Pete

The new Regal has nothing to do with the huge increase in sales. It's the LaCrosse and Enclave that are selling like hotcakes.