New brakes

bgndobe

86 GN
I'm thinking I need to replace the original brakes on my 86 GN. They work "okay", and are in good shape, but I just think being 24 years old, I should be doing it.
I want new rotors and pads........and maybe calipers too, but I don't know if I really need calipers or not.
I've read all about the upgrade s-10 package that can be done, but I don't want to go that way.
Can anyone suggest rotors they may have used and liked.
I've seen a lot on ebay (but don't really want to buy through there).
Also, if you have upgraded calipers and like them, I'd be interested in some info to look at myself.
Thanks very much for any guidance.
Chris

Stock GN brakes can work extremely well. I'd just point out that calipers are extremely cheap. Like $10 each, so you'd be foolish not to replace them. Also, you should replace your rubber brake hoses with braided stainless units ... about $80 a set. Makes for a harder pedal because they do not expand like rubber brake hoses. You also should purchase some kind of performance pad like the HAWK brand and others. These pads pull you down from speed extremely fast with light pedal pressure. Drilled and slotted rotors are just for show and have a tendency for cracking around the holes. They offer no braking advantage over solid rotors for our cars.

On the rear, just make sure your drums have plenty of meat on them and shoes properly adjusted. You could upgrade to the S-10 wheel cylinders and use organic shoes. Usually about $35 a set.

Thanks John. That's exactly the type if insider info I was looking for.
I never thought of the braided lines. I will do that too.