New best pump gas run (street trim)

Grandnat

I took my car to the local 1/8th mile track this weekend after bolting on the new turbo (71GTQ) and decided to get a baseline run in.

I wanted to see what it would do in pure street trim.. the way I drive it on the street. No alky or octane boosters. Tuned rich and with zero knock.

I do not have a matching converter, so I knew the ET would be pretty terrible since I could only foot brake to about 3 psi.

anyways my first run was right off the street with just a 20 min cool down, (no ice, just popped the hood)

and she went a LAZY 2.17 60ft but at about the 60' the car started MOVING... and it ended up doing my new personal best pump gas MPH of 101.17mph!!!!

I love this new turbo...just need a converter to match now.

I am excited and think that leaving with abot 10 -15 psi I can get that MPH # up a couple more mph in street trim.

on a side note... I am starting to think that the stock unported throttle body is starting to become a restriction...is there any data on what a stock TB is good for and when does it start to become a bottleneck?

Grandnat said:
I took my car to the local 1/8th mile track this weekend after bolting on the new turbo (71GTQ) and decided to get a baseline run in.

I wanted to see what it would do in pure street trim.. the way I drive it on the street. No alky or octane boosters. Tuned rich and with zero knock.

I do not have a matching converter, so I knew the ET would be pretty terrible since I could only foot brake to about 3 psi.

anyways my first run was right off the street with just a 20 min cool down, (no ice, just popped the hood)

and she went a LAZY 2.17 60ft but at about the 60' the car started MOVING... and it ended up doing my new personal best pump gas MPH of 101.17mph!!!!

I love this new turbo...just need a converter to match now.

I am excited and think that leaving with abot 10 -15 psi I can get that MPH # up a couple more mph in street trim.

on a side note... I am starting to think that the stock unported throttle body is starting to become a restriction...is there any data on what a stock TB is good for and when does it start to become a bottleneck?

Let me ask you how much boost are you running on pump gas thats alot of mph. What's your build up like?

snipersixx said:
Let me ask you how much boost are you running on pump gas thats alot of mph. What's your build up like?

My goal was to run consistent 10s on pump gas..... alot of people told me I was on crack. But it looks like I will prove them wrong. :cool:

I do not use ALKY since i feel once you add something besides PUMP gas you are no longer on pump gas...DUH! and one of my goals is to run fast and detonation free on pump gas.

I run 19psi and 19 degrees of timing. I use a FAST system and get zero knock.

With FAST, GN1 heads, and a BIG turbo and a good FMIC (CAS V2) 19 psi on pump is no problem. I have actually ran upwards of 21 without getting any knock retard... but I do not like pushing my luck. :)

With a converter I would like to see a mid-high 6 at about 103-104 on pump gas... and low 6s in race trim at around 108-110mph.

I just upgraded from a PT54, my best with it was a 6.77@102.7 in race trim with about 27psi of boost.

This new turbo is going to blow it away.

with low boost it is already up by 8-9 mph!!!!

71GTQ
GN1s
212/212 hydraulic flat tappet
CAS v2 fmic
twin walbro 340s
F.A.S.T.
83# injectors
TRw pistons
center steel mains
RJC power plate
Hemco plenum
stock unported TB
stock headers
THDP 3"

Praying for 9s.

Stock throttle body has been nines. I went 135 on a stocker...Not saying that it isn't a restriction, but your money is probably better spent elsewhere. What are your target A/F's on pump gas? I would be surprised if your mph came up much if any with a reduction in short time...My cars have always run the same mph +/-1mph with varying short times.

STP said:
Stock throttle body has been nines. I went 135 on a stocker...Not saying that it isn't a restriction, but your money is probably better spent elsewhere. What are your target A/F's on pump gas? I would be surprised if your mph came up much if any with a reduction in short time...My cars have always run the same mph +/-1mph with varying short times.

Thanks for the reply about the stock TB... I have been putting off upgradeing it for that exact reason

I run 11.6 to 1 on pump or anything below 20psi

I would assume that being able to launch in the powerband should pickup some MPH, I am basically rolling out on motor... and it boggs like you wouldn't believe!!

I really do not start moving until after the 60ft mark.

you could be right.. I really can't say I have tested it. It just seems logical to me that leaving under power vs bogging for the first 60 ft will net a slightly better MPH.

...and a drastically better ET.

Remember that as the load increases past the 1/8 mi knock may appear. The 1/8 is rather easy on detonation, its the other half that is going to be the killer. You could further lower the timing in the second half which will not get you the gains needed for a high 10 sec pass.

10s on pump gas is very possible as i have come very close to it with out really trying. I went several low 11 sec passes lowest being a 11.08 on just 14 psi. This occured during trouble shooting my boost controller. :rolleyes: This was my old 109 TSM motor.