New best 10.44 @ 128.43

Rodney87GN

I'm a little late posting this but went to Fontana Dragway 11/2/14 to try out the quarter mile on my recently freshened motor. My first pass was my best pass of the day...

60'...............1.56
1/8...............6.64
1/8 mph.......103.16
1/4...............10.44
1/4 mph.......128.43

Then I was warned to slow it down because I didn't have a roll bar lol.

2nd pass I turned the boost up to 28 psi but aborted because of high rpm popping (probably ignition related) and coasted thru the traps at 13.42 @ 71.

3rd pass was 10.57 @ 128.30 with a crappy 1.62 60 foot...
4th pass I spun, backed off then got back into it and ran only 10.79 @ 127.34 with a 1.68 60 foot.

That's when they cut me off from racing for no roll bar.:eek:

All runs were at 26 psi except 2nd pass. Always on 91 octane and alky. Turbo tweak 6.1 wideband chip run at its default settings. 13 psi transbrake launches on MT 275/60-15 drag radials.

Mods:
-built shortblock (stock stroke forged rotating assy, billet 2/3 mains)
-old school TE-45A turbo
-PTE front mount intercooler
-Champion Irons
-RJC headgaskets
-210/215 roller cam
-Morel lifters
-stock rockers with HD shafts
-stock intake with minor port cleanup and EGR tower cutoff
-stock doghouse and TB
-3" TH downpipe
-GN1 Performance SE headers
-80 lb injectors
-Brian Hofer 200-4R
-PTC 3000 stall non lock converter
-stock rear with Moser axles

I would have liked to squeeze a 10.30 or hit 130 that day but I wasn't able to turn up the boost to 28 or 30 psi because of possible ignition issues. I also need to work on my 60 foot times.

Last edited:
That's nice times! What does your GN weigh in at?

That's some good numbers! What are those te-45a turbos rated at?
I think they're rated to support up to 700 hp. Mine has the Garrett .85 exhaust housing so maybe a little more? Maybe Bison can chime in on that one...

That's nice times! What does your GN weigh in at?
Good question, I'm not sure. I should've weighed it but totally forgot about it. It's a full weight street car with T-tops and Centerline wheels but has no AC. I had about 3/4 tank of gas and I weigh about 180...so maybe a little over 3600 lbs?

Close the gap down on some fresh plugs...it may clear it up.

Congrats on the passes!!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

nice pass!! subscribing, very similar to the build im working on w the same cam also. curious as to what turbo you would use if you wanted to move onto something new. what the gurus would recommend for 25-30 psi range

Thanks! I'd probably go to a 6262 or 6265 someday. Seems like lots of people are doing real good with those turbos. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel so I will use what's proven to work. But I'm a cheap bastard so I will wait til my TE45A craps out. Plus I haven't quite maxed it out yet and I want to see how fast I'll go with it before i think about switching.

I think they're rated to support up to 700 hp. Mine has the Garrett .85 exhaust housing so maybe a little more? Maybe Bison can chime in on that one...

Good question, I'm not sure. I should've weighed it but totally forgot about it. It's a full weight street car with T-tops and Centerline wheels but has no AC. I had about 3/4 tank of gas and I weigh about 180...so maybe a little over 3600 lbs?
Max flow on the old 66 inducer compressor wheels is listed at 72lbs/min. I've seen over 75lbs/min myself. Even the crappy t-netics one which by today's standards is a dinosaur. A drop in MFS copy of any of the decent 66 wheels with some thinning of the hub and blades and some other small changes when used with a high flow 66 turbine could flow north of 85lbs/min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk