New battery time which one?

TWISTER

The buick now needs a new battery but after a search lots of opinions say go with the red top 75/35 optima but some say they suck. My question is..Is there abattery that can hold up to what the optima can? $110 from Autozone for an Optima or $70 for their best Duralast Gold. Both have the same warrenty. I know it seems like beating a dead horse but are the Optimas better now than they used to be? TIA

I got one an I like it car sat for 6 months an cranked right up.. Never any problem an if you do have one take it back an get another.. Problems I have heard are from battery hissing sound coming form filter on top but thats it.. Not sure why it hissed but whatever.. I would recomend it plus they look cool :)

If the car sits alot during the winter months Id say go with a battery that you can afford to replace every couple yrs.Keep all receipts with any battery because of failures.

The car sits all winter but I usually pull the battery but not this year.Oops. I only drive the car once a week or every 2 weeks. Is Autozone the cheapest place for the Optima?

I just bought an Odyssey Extreme PC680. It measures 7.27"L x 3.11"W x 6.67"H. It weighs 15lbs. (or 15.4lbs. for the same with metal jacket. It is 17lbs. lighter than the Auto Zone replacement I took out and spins the starter a little faster to boot. So far I really like it. Check out odysseyfactory.com.

Attachments

• Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 476
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 409
Keep it simple AC/DELCO,one of the better batteries on the market.I have no problems with mine.

I prefer the Yellow Top to the Red Top Optima.

Probably because my yellow top is going on 8 years now in the WE4. :)

Red Top from Pep Boys is only gonna make it 4 I think in the GN.

Still longer than any Sears Die Hard Gold I've ever owned and I've had a ton of them over the years. :frown:

I second the Odyssey PC680T or PC680MJT.

$81 with the terminals and cca is very close to your typical battery.

I also pull the battery in the winter.

DR.BOOSTER said:
I second the Odyssey PC680T or PC680MJT.

$81 with the terminals and cca is very close to your typical battery.

I also pull the battery in the winter.
Easiest and cheapest 17lbs. I ever lost!!

I went through the same decision, bought the Optima red top. In retrospect, I would buy a regular battery instead because I don't think the yellow top price is warranted. Autozone was the cheapest for me. Some mail order places are cheaper but don't have free shipping.

This is one subject that generates a lot of opinions. Some people love the Optima's, others hate them. I do like the idea of a gel-based battery.

AC Delco 78/72 ( i believe)...excellent battery, starts after sitting for a month...kinda pricey (~$75), but worth it

I have the hawker odessey 925 in my Z06. Works well and is very lite if you went with a 680 size odessey.

I'm going trunk mount and its going to be a relative pain to get the battery out where its tucked under the fender so I'd like something that will last a long time with only driving the car once a week or so from Spring through early Fall then stored inside an unheated but insulated garage all winter except for maybe a few choice no-snow days. Looking at the Odyssey dry cells they look attractive but so does the 3 year plan on the Optima redtop or the 2 year plan on the yellowtop. I'm not so concerned about weight or size as the taylor battery box is huge but I'd rather end up with the lightest, most reliable battery that can still crank out the juice since I have a trunk mounted power supply for the fuel pumps and my 300W amps.

Thanks,

Red Top Optima for me. No battery acid to leak out. You can mount it upside down if you want to. I have 1 in my GN, 1 in my 74Z28, 1 in my 96 Impala, and 1 in my 2000 Lightning.
Conrad Carter

Optima Red Top, i have one in my 99" GMC Sierra, and when it was twenty below out i went outside in the morning and it started right up no slow cranking :biggrin: with the battery being two years old. Also my buddy had one in his truck off-roading not strapped down landed on the manifold melted a whole in the side, so he put it in his beater and it is still going after two years of having a melted open side.

just my 2 cents,Dan

I just put a cheap Wally World Battery in mine. The previous one from Wally World was in the car 2 weeks short of 8 years!

XLR8 said:
I just put a cheap Wally World Battery in mine. The previous one from Wally World was in the car 2 weeks short of 8 years!
do you have a link? how much are they.. ;)

wal-mart battery

I have one too that was in the car when I got it in 01'.The car sits every winter and starts in the spring no problem.It is still in there now and showing no signs of trouble yet.I would like an optima or one of the lighter ones mentioned here instead though. :cool:

All I'll add is, I've had my fill of Optima's. Back to regular batteries for me.