New alky pump fixed my issues

87NAT

In Between GN's
I have been fighting knock on my car for a while now. Checking coil/module, plugs, plug wires, changed out fuel pump, etc... Could not get it to go away even when adding tons of fuel via chip. I am posting this to let you guys know that the alky pump needed to be changed. Mine went for 4 years and because I was not logging pressure and assuming:redface: it was working good, I never started to even look in the direction of the pump itself. After so many years the integrity of the pump to pump high pressure is gone.

As per good advice form Julio(and TURBO6) I will be replacing my alky pump every year from now on. I can tell you the car feels like a wild animal with a new pump and no knock. I also installed one of his new 2 1/16 alky pressure guages on my pillar. A very trick piece with a highest pressure recall button. Even changes background colors when the alky comes in. Very nice!

This thread is just a reminder for you guys with pumps 2 years or older. Change it out. Good insurance to have instead of pulling heads and changing headgaskets.

Julio thanks again for the advice and input along with great products and customer service. The pressure is guage is pegging 150psi...I guess thats where it needs to be be right?

Ed

I have been fighting knock on my car for a while now. Checking coil/module, plugs, plug wires, changed out fuel pump, etc... Could not get it to go away even when adding tons of fuel via chip. I am posting this to let you guys know that the alky pump needed to be changed. Mine went for 4 years and because I was not logging pressure and assuming:redface: it was working good, I never started to even look in the direction of the pump itself. After so many years the integrity of the pump to pump high pressure is gone.

As per good advice form Julio(and TURBO6) I will be replacing my alky pump every year from now on. I can tell you the car feels like a wild animal with a new pump and no knock. I also installed one of his new 2 1/16 alky pressure guages on my pillar. A very trick piece with a highest pressure recall button. Even changes background colors when the alky comes in. Very nice!

This thread is just a reminder for you guys with pumps 2 years or older. Change it out. Good insurance to have instead of pulling heads and changing headgaskets.

Julio thanks again for the advice and input along with great products and customer service. The pressure is guage is pegging 150psi...I guess thats where it needs to be be right?

Ed

150 is jamming :D

This thread is worthless without pixs ;)

Like all things on the car.. when your setup is on the edge.. its more sensitive to any degradation. had your car been a 12 second car.. it would be a non-issue. Perfect example is a fuel pump.. just because it runs the motor at idle doesnt mean it supports it when at 25+ PSI. In my opinion.. get the pump checked/serviced every other season when it goes down for winter. So I should see it for inspection in 2012.

Now that you have the gauge.. watch how much pressure it makes when you hit test.. and note the position of the Gain knob. Example Gain on 6 makes 50 PSI. Any degredation.. it will be less than that pressure.

And.. "IF" the motor needs to run the alky its running now(150+ PSI), i'd suggest stepping up to twins and dropping pressure. It will provide a lower pressure a lot longer. You have the data now.. and peace of mind.. priceless ;)

Thanks again. Will shoot some pics.

Is it safe to hold the camera while making a WOT run and taking a shot of the guage changing colors and watching out for other cars and animals in the road and the boost guage and the fuel pressure guage and telling my wife to pipe down so I can still hear the stereo?:D

Thanks again. Will shoot some pics.

Is it safe to hold the camera while making a WOT run and taking a shot of the guage changing colors and watching out for other cars and animals in the road and the boost guage and the fuel pressure guage and telling my wife to pipe down so I can still hear the stereo?:D

That brings back memories. One of my first videos on my TTA when I started making the kits I had my direct scan on the passenger seat and my buddy Bob from Precision MS in the back seat with the video camera. What we where trying to do was sync the direct scan, pressure gauge, and video all together. So here I am doing pulls on the highway.. I mean track.. And on one of them there was a non friendly next to the track at over 120 mph. Thankfully his attention was on someone else.. I said to my buddy I can only imagine getting pulled over and explaining the laptop passenger and my buddy in the back seat with a camera full of evidence :eek:

So yeah... Plenty safe :)

Heres the pics. The red button below the guage is the recall button.

As stated before this guage lights up red when the pump is initially engaged and then switches over to a white background light after reaching a designated pressure. I set mine to switch colors from red to white at 50 psi. It is fully programmable and very easy to set up. Julio has included all wiring and very detailed instructions. This guage gets its signal from a transducer installed right at the end of the filter on the pressure line after the pump.

The LED lights are a good idea. At night you dont have to even look at the guage because you can see it switching colors in your peripheral vision.

Julio please send me my 20% advertising fee per guage you sell to my P.O. Box. Thanks again.:D

Ed

Attachments

• meth guage 002.jpg
    meth guage 002.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 415
  • meth guage 001.jpg
    meth guage 001.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 408
35 psi boost gauge!?!
You peg that thing yet, Ed??:eek:
-PS- alky pressure gauge is super cool.

35 psi boost gauge!?!
You peg that thing yet, Ed??:eek:
-PS- alky pressure gauge is super cool.

Im not in your league yet Ron. 35psi is for next years E.T. goals:eek:

Thanks for the input. Just shows the importance of logging as much info as you can... if not, your chasing your tail and spending lots of $$ for nothing.

Ed, as usual I'll send you the bill, lol.

Alky gauge is cool! Merry Christmas!!

That looks good. I'm going to have to get one for my car.

I also like the big green Tea Party sticker in the back.

B

Speaking of pump...

Speaking of pump, need to talk to you Julio. Think I need to take ya up on your offer and send my pump to ya.

x2 on a new pump! Just replaced mine, well I didn't; my Mustang owning buddy did it for me!;) Hey, he wanted to lay on some cold-a$$ concrete and do it, be my guest!:cool:

Works great. Haven't driven the car much lately though. Had it out Sunday morning. 23psi with no knock and maybe 10.4s on the wideband. Its on the defaults in the TT chip for the winter.

GREAT service from Julio! Pump arrived extremely well packed and he'll be getting my old one to service/rebuild as soon as I take care of a few things.

One question, how hard is the alchy gauge to tie into everything? Gonna be doing all my electrical work soon, considering getting one if I can swing it.

Scott

Nice alky gauge.. Is there a video to show how it reads under idle and during boost? I'm just curious to see how it works..

Thanks