New Age Sleepers

wilkinsde

This may not be the correct area to post this subject but there's a lot of traffic here.

Twenty years ago the GNs were great sleepers that were fairly inexpensive used cars. I'm looking for opinions on current 2-3 year old cars (yes, foreign included) that people on this forum would consider current day sleepers. The wife and I will most likely be purchasing a used car sometime this year. The goal is to own an affordable, decent gas mileage, performance car, less than $20K. I like the new Vettes, but they are too expensive and flashy for me. What types of cars have some of you purchased that meet the above stated criteria? Thanks for any input.

04-06 (especially 05-06) GTO. same drivetrain as the vette but with a back seat. it has all the characteristics that you are looking for and nothing comes close to the performance for that kind of money. i have a 05 GTO. previously i've had f-bodies, mustangs, audi s4's, and nothing compares to the goat.

caddy CTS-V with a LS6 and 6-speed too but i don't think you can get one for less than 20K.

if you go older than 2-3 years look at 03-04 cobra's. but they're certainly not sleepers.

if you go foreign it's pretty easy to get an evo or wrx sti in the 12's with minimal work.

The 04-05 Impala SS. I have the 04, not at all flashy, has all the creacher comforts and with just a few mods mine is up to around 300 hp. I get above 22mpg with it also. These are the only 2 years you could get it with the 3800 supercharged engine. The newer years with the 5.3 arn't bad either but I'm partial to boost.;)

Any GM W-Body with the 303HP 5.3 V-8. That would be Impala SS/MCSS LaCrosse Super and GP/GPX.
The Cadillac DHS with the 300HP Northstar
The 04-08 GrandPrix with the 270HP 3800SC
Any Turbo'd EcoTech.
Any 6.2 VorTec Max GM Truck/SUV
The Cadillac V-Series

Oh I could ramble on all day long about what GM has for sleepers. Only because most import lovers are such snobs that they can't spot one of these sleepers from the more mundane pedestrian offerings from the General.:D

good call on the turbo ecotech. the cobalt ss's are pretty solild you can probably get a new one for near $20K.

i'd stay clear of the late model grand prix. i've known several people that had one and they were all junk in some way or another.

you could probably get into a trailblazer SS for near 20K also but the gas mileage stinks.

anything with a GM LS motor is going to be a good choice.

X2 on those turbo ecotec's i did a little research/ homework on them & the are one heck of value for the money.

i still love to 02 camaro ss....came off the show room floor beating the vettes...can go 12.80 with a really good driver......:eek:

i'd stay clear of the late model grand prix. i've known several people that had one and they were all junk in some way or another.

anything with a GM LS motor is going to be a good choice.

I dunno...I have an 07 GP/GXP and it looks like any run of the mill GP with the exception of the badging and the "V8" emblem on the trunk.

It's great car that really scoots...and it has an LS4:biggrin: and have had no problems with it at all.

In addition to some of the ones already listed, good modern day sleepers in my opinion (they are all 0-60 in approximately 6 seconds or less while maintaining that mild mannered appearance):

Infiniti G35 or G37 sedan

Subaru Legacy GT or Outback XT

Pontiac G8

Nissan Maxima or Altima with 3.5 liter V6

Trailblazer SS (not sure of 0-60 time on this one)

MazdaSpeed 3

Saab TurboX Sport-combi

Volkswagen GTI

I have the Subaru Outback XT myself. I've surprised several Camaros, Mustangs, GTOs and G37s with it.

Rob

I bought an 03' Infinity M45. Real slender car with a 4.5 liter V8. something like 345 hp. Thing is a 4 door and has BAWLS.

Sticks to the pavement like no tomorrow and handles very well for a lux-sedan. One of these days I'm gonna track it for giggles. Give those Audi's and Bimmer's something to think about.

Attachments

• 03m45_4.jpg
    03m45_4.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 935
Don't forget a Subaru WRX/STI. I have a custome that has done some mods on his and it's suprisingly fast for a 4 banger.

IMO the Buick RoadMaster was the last real sleeper in American cars but they haven't been produced since '96 so that makes them a little more than 3 years old.:) Its hard to shake the vision of a luxury car from your mind when you hear the name Buick so virtually any Buick that can perform will be a sleeper.

even the 05-07 supercharged ecotec's are not bad right out of the box they made 205 hp at the wheels. they they ran around 14.5 or so stock, and still get 30 mpg on the highway, i have a 06 SS/SC and for mileage and power its pretty good, i have had very few problems with mine, except for that pesky wing on the deck lid...:rolleyes: they also offer wide selection of parts includeing a stage 2 kit which can get you down into mid 13's, and none of that voids the warranty. and i know you can pick up a used one with low miles on it for well under 20k. and i might ad im am not a fan of FWD by any means but it has handled the abuse i put to it, trips to the drag strip with 2k clutch drops, full throttle power shifts and she has never skipped a beat.

i have owned and sold a variety of cars heres my picks.
98 up lexus gs400/430.
2000 lexus ls400 surprised a lot with this one.
97 ls400
2002 seville sts.
2002 3.5 maxima se 6spd.
99 bmw 540 6spd.
99/2002 park ave ultra supercharged.
2001 volvo s80 t6.
2002 infinity g35.
1996 caprice with lt1 was a chromed trim leather interior
you can find some that had the lt1 and was not used for public service.

I saw a low mileage 05 crossfire SRT6 on a car lot for $15K. They will run 13.0s@110 and nobody has any clue what it is.

You'd probably need to find a good Mercedes mechanic, though...

Initial poster said under $20,000 Thread has morphed to include those above that price. Another I'd add to the list would be the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8but again, I don't think it qualifies as to the price. Sleepers are great!

The infinity cost me $13K with 61xxx on the clock. That is the average cost throughout the U.S.