New 87 GN owner-----North Carolina (central)

jnaarnold

johnarnoldphotography.net
DSC_9500.jpg
DSC_9505.jpg
Finally, after decades of wanting one of these awesome cars, one finally came home with me yesterday.
This, besides a 1972 Buick Gran Sport Stage 1, has been my 'Holy Grail' of cars. I really feel like I got a great deal, although I also think I am going to end up putting a transmission in it by end of summer. The previous owner (3rd owner) came down five thousand off his price! I drove it one hour home and washed it and put it to bed--in the garage. The car has 60,002 original miles, ice cold a/c, all options work as they should, adjustable waste gate, and K&N filter. Of course, I have a list of mods clinging to several wish lists at various vendors. Better pictures to follow...
photobucket-4932-1405733797651_zpsc8973fe1.jpg

photobucket-3782-1405733818896_zpsc1db6e54.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
Looks super clean from what I can see. Welcome to the site and congrats on a nice looking ride. What's it got done to it?

Happy spooling.:)

Mike Barnard

Thanks Mike. It doesnt have much done, just an adjustable wastegate and now, an RJC powerplate. Im running around 18 pounds of boost. The car is super clean..the paint looked bad when I bought it, but I compunded it and spent about 7 hours on the paint and it looks great now, a real head turner!
Are you in the Carolinas?
John

Sent from my MB855 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Thanks Mike. It doesnt have much done, just an adjustable wastegate and now, an RJC powerplate. Im running around 18 pounds of boost. The car is super clean..the paint looked bad when I bought it, but I compunded it and spent about 7 hours on the paint and it looks great now, a real head turner!
Are you in the Carolinas?
John

Sent from my MB855 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Nope!
I'm in the Californias.:D It's a little bit West from there. Are you running Alky injection or race gas? If not, you're most likely running too much boost and will hurt something soon. Do you have a scanmaster?

Mike B.

Nice looking ride for sure and glad you found our forum , where about in NC are you from as I am in Northern SC , it would be wise to sneak up on the boost and get at least a SM to check on your engine vitals as I have a stock TB with a few bolt on`s and running pump gas 93 with no alky and running close to 17lbs on a good day and tune no for KR . They are like a fine woman you have to be sweet to them to get any sugar . Good luck with your New ride .

I am looking for a good deal on a Scanmaster....if anyone knows one.. I am in the High Point, NC area about 90 miles north of Charlotte. Thanks for all the replies.
TurboTdr3.8 with your 'stock' setup have you run it at the track?
john

lol...it has one (oil filter breather) now! I actually bought two and realized I needed another drivers side valve cover to use the second one.
I removed the hot water hoses to the throttle body today and the breather tube to the turbo.
Car also has a K&N filter in stock location, 160F thermostat, Autometer Boost, Temp and Oil pressure guages in a three guage pillar.
I also have several transmission items waiting to go in...billet servo, .500 boost valve, springs and other goodies.
I really want to take the plunge on the chip...just wondering if I really need the injectors right now.

My good friend, and co-worker, has a Supercoupe and is running 20+ pounds of boost with a ported, polished and matched supercharger and intake.
We have a 20 mile ride home, in the same direction....you know where this is going...lol
We got on the on ramp on interstate 85 and let it roll. He was in front of me, I was three cars behind.
At ten pounds of boost I was staying right with him, easily! At 15 pounds, I was reeling him in!
It was great fun....unfortunately he toasted an ignition module on the same ride home!
Good thing he had several spares in his tool box...

Welcome to the board. Great looking car and there are quite a few of us in central NC. I live in Mebane, which is just east of Burlington and north of High Point. You should make time to visit Richard Clark's shop in Burlington sometime. He is the GN guru and a great guy to get help from.