NEW 8.5 REAR/LCA QUESTION

trailinjake

I just bought a new/used 8.5-10 bolt rear posi unit out of a GN. PO must have hurt the 8.5 in my WE4 and installed a 7.5-10 bolt with boxed LCA and stock uppers.
My rear now has some type of hangar/relocater brackets on the LCA (axle side). When I install the new rear should i use these brackets or install the LCA in normal fashion? If I should keep them, what the hell do they do? Any other tips and/or tricks please advise.

Attachments

• LCA2.jpg
    LCA2.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 76
  • LCA1.jpg
    LCA1.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 85
  • LCA.jpg
    LCA.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 76
Yeah, re-use them. They're for resetting the pinion angle and also change the "instant centre"...

Claude.

Ok I thought you had to have adjustable uppers to change the pinion angle. Thanks
Well yes, but these plates were popular before adjustable upper control arms were available...but if you don't have adjustable uppers, just put the plates back on... they'll still "do the job"!

Claude. ;)

The driveshaft angle relative to the engine and the rear and the instant center are two totally different things.

trailinjake said:
Ok I thought you had to have adjustable uppers to change the pinion angle. Thanks

Shortening or lengthening either will change the angle of the rear. The driveshaft angle still needs to be the reference point.

Shortening or lengthening either will change the angle of the rear. The driveshaft angle still needs to be the reference point.
So it's a good idea to get adjustable UCA as well? and use these LCA brackets off the old rear??

Adjustable uppers are nice since you can dial in
very precisely. The lower brackets (or upper) will change the instant center. Some setups are too aggressive. Try it out and see what you get