Never had this happen before

1fast6

As many of you all know I sold my GN on Thurs. well the new owner called me yesterday to
let me know he blew the engine in it thurs nite:eek:

He was'nt looking for any $$ back or excuses. Told me it was his fault. He was new to these cars
and turning up boost+leaving trans in low=blown motor... sounded like he was beating on it pretty hard.

This is the 1st time in my many years of selling muscle/collector cars that this has happened. I actually feel bad for the guy. I never had any issues with this car. never even saw any "real" knock with it.

Any newbee's to the TR world.... READ READ READ and when you think you got these cars down... READ some more!!!!

I am glad he realized that you were not at fault. These cars are unique and require knowledge and tuning before cranking it up. Not like a naturally aspirated engine.

That's part of the learning curve that just about every Turbo Buick owner has to go through. How does that song go? ;)

RL

Watching too much fast and furious? :eek: I see so many younger guys just want to crank the boost and mash the pedal without taking time to make sure it's all good. I guess you live and learn... It's going to be an expensive lesson.

Man that sucks...
Happened to my neighbor, he sold a 68 Camaro full caged racecar to a young kid, big block with alot of spray. Car ran 9.37 through the exhaust. Kid blew it up the first day and wanted money back !!

Bryan

Yeah, i'm pretty sad about the car:( . I was proud that it was a 80,XXX mile unopened motor running 23# of boost. other peoples children:rolleyes:

When I bought my GN, I lost second gear due to worn out band. There was no sign of a problem when I test drove it and drove it home the 300+ miles. I sucked it up and rebuilt it. The previous owner was apologetic but I didn't expect or ask for anything in return. When I sold my 2003 Marauder, I had gone over the car with a fine tooth comb. The buyer called me a couple of days later because the car developed a bad stumble which was not there before. I had him bring it back only to see he had installed a cold air intake which he had not seated to the throttle body properly, was an easy fix and was not my fault. In your case it sounds like lack of knowledge and some abuse from the new owner. I hope she/he does not get frustrated and gets it fixed so it could be enjoyed. I hope they know about this site.

That turn boost up and go.. I did exactly the same thing with my 86 gn.. And knock knock..was fixed and sold i now have a 87 t type boost stays were it was at!!! Is already high enough. Atleast for now.. But like you guys said it was an expensive leason but well worth it. I love this damn cars.. Had a bbc a sbc with a muncie. Nothing like a v6t....

I'm glad I was well informed before I bought my car. Otherwise I would probably be in the exact same position.
Nix

Yep, its not a car , its a hobby that must always be nurtured with ever more learning/pain,suffering. I concluded awhile back that 3.8 is not enough cubes. Yes it can get the job done, but like a midget on steroids, its gona crack sooner or later. Better to have some more cu.in and turn down the boost. I tell people about the car as they think these things hung the moon...I say you cant even give it WOT after a gas-up without scanning because it is so on the edge of detonation and you dont know what every tank of gas is. And that to own one with some power, you gotta learn them well. But lawsy, that turbo sound is addictive.

I concluded awhile back that 3.8 is not enough cubes. Yes it can get the job done, but like a midget on steroids, its gona crack sooner or later. Better to have some more cu.in and turn down the boost. I say you cant even give it WOT after a gas-up without scanning because it is so on the edge of detonation and you dont know what every tank of gas is.

this sums up the ownership of my 1st and probably last TR6. There just not for me. cool cars and I wanted one since 1979 when my dad brought home his 79 sport coupe. Now I can say... Been there, done that.
I have alot of respect for the guys that race these cars...

this sums up the ownership of my 1st and probably last TR6. There just not for me. cool cars and I wanted one since 1979 when my dad brought home his 79 sport coupe. Now I can say... Been there, done that.
I have alot of respect for the guys that race these cars...

Wow! I grew up on a supercharged 3800 that I raced and these cars work the same pretty much. I've been extremely lucky in meeting the right people at the right time and I've gone pretty quick and put on a lot of miles without breaking the bank, but I've seen these cars leave a sour taste in the mouths of a few enthusiasts. It's too bad, but some people don't want to worry about the science that makes a V6 powerful and that's what it takes to drive one of these cars fast without blowing it up. It's been said a million times, but Read, Read, Read... The more I read the more I realize I don't know about these cars...kinda like life.

Wow! I grew up on a supercharged 3800 that I raced and these cars work the same pretty much. I've been extremely lucky in meeting the right people at the right time and I've gone pretty quick and put on a lot of miles without breaking the bank, but I've seen these cars leave a sour taste in the mouths of a few enthusiasts. It's too bad, but some people don't want to worry about the science that makes a V6 powerful and that's what it takes to drive one of these cars fast without blowing it up. It's been said a million times, but Read, Read, Read... The more I read the more I realize I don't know about these cars...kinda like life.

I blew the head gaskets on my on the way home from buying it.
And it's been downhill from there. Lol

Two things I shouldn't have done the day I bought mine were
1. Had my friend with his z28 camaro take me to pick the car up and follow me home
We couldn't resist trying them about 2 miles before I made it home.

2. Call my wife and tell her I was about 5 minutes away so she could be outside waiting to see
The car I convinced her that would bring us a better return on our money than letting it stay in the savings account.

It was kinda hard explaining why oil was all over the hood and motor and ground and why it was smoking so bad and not wanting to stay running.

I guess she knows more about cars than I thought cause I couldn't convince her that this is how these cars are suppose to act

every car i sell comes with a 5/50 warranty- 5 minutes from cash changing hands or 50 feet from my driveway. if something breaks after that point, it's not my problem.