NEED TO BUY a car for the wife!! What to buy??

2003 Regal LS.

I picked mine up a few years ago with 40K on it. 3.8 N/A. I immediately stuck this on it. GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts and a rear strut bar @ $14. Made a huge difference in how the car handled. I just keep up with maintenance and keep it clean. Not a large family car, but it gets the job done. I get 30-31 MPG hwy with winter mix gas in it right now.

Get one with low miles or good maintenance and you shouldn't have too much of a problem. The 4T65E transmission in them does have one issue of stripping the splines off the OD output shaft. There is a heat treated shaft that can be put in it to prevent the problem. I dropped my trans out and replaced it and added a shift kit, new steels and clutches while I was in there. The shaft cost $24 or so and the gaskets, steels, clutches, shift kit (TransGo) and fluid ran another $320. Total time working on it was under two days. Not saying yours will need it. Mine didn't, I just like to do preventative maintenance when I can. Look for that trans in almost every FWD GM.

The Vibe is another good car. Same as the Toyota Matrix EXCEPT !!! :smile: The AWD models carry the Subaru AWD system in them.

The Regal is the same platform as the Impala (w body). Cheaper insurance and is invisible to most everyone. I think I broke a world record for the youngest person to own one though. It's funny seeing blue hairs driving around in the GS, supercharged models. They never see above 55mph.

No rice, but I drive kraut, love my german cars. I have had great luck w/ import relability vs domestic. Hate to say it, but its the truth.

You're going to get as many opinions of which car to buy as there are people posting in this thread. Each person has their favorite and will extol their choice's virtues.

What I suggest is you go by Consumer Reports for reliability and mileage. That's assuming your wife simply wants a reliable car that gets good mileage. If she wants speed then CR isn't going to help.

Go spend the few bucks for the CR auto report magazine or booklet. It will give you excellent choices. And you probably already know....the imports, Honda and Toyota, are expensive because you don't spend the money afterwards. You just drive them forever.

Oh and my opinion, based on having the same 4 wheel drive Toyota Tercel for about 20 years with 265,xxx miles on it and still getting 30 mpg....is go Toyota.

True...

You're going to get as many opinions of which car to buy as there are people posting in this thread. Each person has their favorite and will extol their choice's virtues.

Oh and my opinion, based on having the same 4 wheel drive Toyota Tercel for about 20 years with 265,xxx miles on it and still getting 30 mpg....is go Toyota.

Pontiac makes those. Toyota Matrix insides (except for the AWD transmission), Pontiac design on the outside.

Then, you get to narrow it down by price.

I would recommend an '02 or '03 VW Passat. Pretty good gas mileage, pretty reliable, great ride, comfortable interior (with a pretty big backseat too I'm 6'2 and have no problem fitting in the back of my buddies '03 Passat) and I'm sure you can find one in your price range. I wouldn't go any older than '02 though.

If for dd and reliability i would say Nissan Maxima 1998 and newer can be had for you price range and are good cars have had mine used in 2000 with 30k baught for 13k has a 100k on it now no oil or coolant leaks only change oil brakes and tires with the exception of one coil that went bad at 94000 car has been great

I would recommend an '02 or '03 VW Passat. Pretty good gas mileage, pretty reliable, great ride, comfortable interior (with a pretty big backseat too I'm 6'2 and have no problem fitting in the back of my buddies '03 Passat) and I'm sure you can find one in your price range. I wouldn't go any older than '02 though.

As long as they were taken care of i agree but coils go bad vacc. brakes some times get water in the booster and lets not forget the low oil psi deal if they were not taken care of

I see that budget went out the window:biggrin: .I love that car, the only killer is maintance. Can't rotate tires. brakes are more money. super charger is going to set you back a few bucks:rolleyes: . My buddy bought one used with the same mileage. his is silver I think he paid $16,000. I drove his a few times .I thought it would be faster than it is. I dont know what mileage is on that gas guzzler.

i going to take a look at this tomorrow
what do think it worth?
49,930 mi.2002 Chevrolet Impala LS
Silver, 4 door, FWD, Sedan, AUTO 4SPD, 3.8L V6, leather interior

Features: Power Door Locks, Power Mirrors, Power Windows, Air Conditioning, Tilt Steering Wheel, Adaptive Light Control, 4 Doors, Power Seat, Tire Pressure Monitor, 2WD, Child Safety Locks, Anti-Theft Stereo, Traction Control System, Daytime Running Lights, Anti-Theft Device(S), Auto Express Down Window, Adjustable Lumbar Seat(S), Auto Adjust Day/Night Mirror, Scv - Speed Compensated Volume, Power Rear Hatch Release, Rear Window Defroster, Reading Light(S), Dual Climate Control, Dual Air Bags, 3 Point Rear Seatbelts, Intermittent Wipers, Anti-Lock Braking System (Abs), Side Air Bag System, Clock, Rear Spoiler, Adjustable Head Rests, Fog Lamps

Got the wife a G35 coupe used, not cheap but the fit and finish is awesome and she loves it to death.

My bud has a newer 325i ...I think thats it... beamer its newer than the G and he paid more and other than leg and headroom the G is waaaay nicer IMO.

A lil test I did was just to push the doors to the first click and then with a lil effort try to just push the door closed and the beamer would not do it. the G just a lil push and click.

G35 only gets a lil over 22 MPG on the HWY though:( ...But it'll will do a 142 mph with 600 RPM left in 4th and then 5th to go :eek:.

I've had my 98 GS since new with very little problems, 98k mi, I will run this car into the ground and maybe then some, wife drove it for the first 5 yrs and its been mine since.
They are supercharged so they have some real pep and you can easily modify them to run 13's. They been selling pretty cheap lately and most have been driven by older folk or with alot of highway miles.
A GTP will be the sporty version of the Buick

Let me in with an opinion

I have owned a FEW cars and if you want a dependable, roomy, family daily driver, buy you a 2000 or up full size 3.8 Chevy or a Buick Regal. Something in that family line. 30 MPH and as we call them, disposable. $5000 and up--drive them for 5 years and dispose of them.
FWIW, I had rather walk and carry a GM hubcap than drive a foreign car.

That's my driver.

I have owned a FEW cars and if you want a dependable, roomy, family daily driver, buy you a 2000 or up full size 3.8 Chevy or a Buick Regal. Something in that family line. 30 MPH and as we call them, disposable. $5000 and up--drive them for 5 years and dispose of them.
FWIW, I had rather walk and carry a GM hubcap than drive a foreign car.

And parts can be found anywhere;)

I passed on a supercharged version...that way all the mod money goes to the GN.

As long as they were taken care of i agree but coils go bad vacc. brakes some times get water in the booster and lets not forget the low oil psi deal if they were not taken care of

There's a 99% chance all the coils would of been taken care of under warranty by now. I know I had mine done on my jetta all within a years time. As far as the oil and the brakes...that stuff goes with any car. I said 02 and newer because in 2001 VW hired a new director of quality control who really cleaned up a lot of issues those cars had. I also know my buddies 03 runs and drives like the day he got and he has close to 70k on the clock. Just my opinion I think they are good cars for the money. They ride like a freaking Benz.

I just received the April/08 Consumer Reports. As luck would have it, this is the car issue. It gives reports of reliability and approximate used prices.

I suggest you get this issue...it might save you a head ache in the long run.

i am going to look at this on monday
what do you guys think?

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - $4,500
Mileage: 98,889
Exterior Color: Black Interior
Color: Gray leather
VIN: 1G2WR5210YF212865
Engine: 3.8L V6 Supercharged
Transmission: AUTO 4SPD Drivetrain:
FWD Doors: 4 Wheelbase: 111"