Need to borrow a champion intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

gs462

Guys I need to borrow a champion ported intake I have a friend who is ging to help me port my stocker and he wants to see one. I know this may seem strange but there are plenty of people here who can vouch for me. Anyone have a champion intake off the motor?

Guys I need to borrow a champion ported intake I have a friend who is ging to help me port my stocker and he wants to see one. I know this may seem strange but there are plenty of people here who can vouch for me. Anyone have a champion intake off the motor?

PS Im in northeast Ohio.

Interesting request. There are some folks I will not even let near my porting bench because I spent 30 years learning how to port heads and intakes. I have invested thousands of dollars learning the skill. Others have spent thousands on buying their ported heads and intakes.
...........Now with that said.........
Scribe the gasket opening onto the intake manifold flange. You can use machinists dye or a Sharpie pen to "blue" the flange so you can see where you scribe. If you look closely at the flange you can see the imprint left from the gasket to get reference to its placement. Now buy about $450 in porting tools (if you dont already have them). Then carefully open the ports out to the scribed lines but leave about. 020" smaller all theq way around the port opening. Then move your way up the entire port. Bell mouth the inlet to each port as best as you can. Use non ferrous 6" carbide cutters. Have a big wax candle on your bench to dip the cutter into to help prevent clogging the cutter flutes. Make the port walls as straight as you can. Air doesn't like to make turns or bumps. Remove the injector boss out of the ports, too. If you use a FelPro 1200 gasket you WILL have to break out the JB Weld to fill a hole or two. Are you matching to a ported head or stock head. If you have stock heads you are wasting your time. (Unless this is a learning momemt) Good luck. It's a tough way to gain a little power. After you are finished let me know if you will EVER attempt it again. Most guys that I have shown the basics to say they will NEVER.....NOT EVER do that again. Dirty work. Think safety too. Hearing protection, face shield, and a dust mask. You will need a box of sanding rolls too, along with a 6" mandrel and a router controller to turn the speed of your die grinder down. If you are planning on using an air grinder add gloves to the mix, too. You'll freeze your hands to the tool in short order. Have at it and if you have any specific questions ask. I would suggest you read a ton of info before you start. You have to become a student of airflow before you grind on a set of heads. I did my first set back in 1979. I feel dumber now than I did back then. David Vizard has books out that will get you in the right direction. Go to a machine shop and run your fingers into every ported head and intake you can. Try and "see" the air moving through the ports. Take a spoon the the kitchen sink with the faucet at a slow stream. Move the spoon around in the water stream and watch the water move around. Air does the same thing. Hope this helps.

Interesting request. There are some folks I will not even let near my porting bench because I spent 30 years learning how to port heads and intakes. I have invested thousands of dollars learning the skill. Others have spent thousands on buying their ported heads and intakes.
...........Now with that said.........
Scribe the gasket opening onto the intake manifold flange. You can use machinists dye or a Sharpie pen to "blue" the flange so you can see where you scribe. If you look closely at the flange you can see the imprint left from the gasket to get reference to its placement. Now buy about $450 in porting tools (if you dont already have them). Then carefully open the ports out to the scribed lines but leave about. 020" smaller all theq way around the port opening. Then move your way up the entire port. Bell mouth the inlet to each port as best as you can. Use non ferrous 6" carbide cutters. Have a big wax candle on your bench to dip the cutter into to help prevent clogging the cutter flutes. Make the port walls as straight as you can. Air doesn't like to make turns or bumps. Remove the injector boss out of the ports, too. If you use a FelPro 1200 gasket you WILL have to break out the JB Weld to fill a hole or two. Are you matching to a ported head or stock head. If you have stock heads you are wasting your time. (Unless this is a learning momemt) Good luck. It's a tough way to gain a little power. After you are finished let me know if you will EVER attempt it again. Most guys that I have shown the basics to say they will NEVER.....NOT EVER do that again. Dirty work. Think safety too. Hearing protection, face shield, and a dust mask. You will need a box of sanding rolls too, along with a 6" mandrel and a router controller to turn the speed of your die grinder down. If you are planning on using an air grinder add gloves to the mix, too. You'll freeze your hands to the tool in short order. Have at it and if you have any specific questions ask. I would suggest you read a ton of info before you start. You have to become a student of airflow before you grind on a set of heads. I did my first set back in 1979. I feel dumber now than I did back then. David Vizard has books out that will get you in the right direction. Go to a machine shop and run your fingers into every ported head and intake you can. Try and "see" the air moving through the ports. Take a spoon the the kitchen sink with the faucet at a slow stream. Move the spoon around in the water stream and watch the water move around. Air does the same thing. Hope this helps.

I know its a strange request my friend is a head porter for a very prominenet speed shop in my area he knows his business. I just wanted to let him see what champion gets 400 bux for, The intake and heads will be FULLY ported and matched together for way less than one could buy them for. i'm sure he doesnt need to see one to make it work Id just like to show it to him so he has an idea what is being done in the aftermarket. Thanks for your imput.

I know its a strange request my friend is a head porter for a very prominenet speed shop in my area he knows his business. I just wanted to let him see what champion gets 400 bux for, The intake and heads will be FULLY ported and matched together for way less than one could buy them for. i'm sure he doesnt need to see one to make it work Id just like to show it to him so he has an idea what is being done in the aftermarket. Thanks for your imput.

so he wants to copy what someone else put years- decades, maybe- into perfecting?
doesn't quite sit right with me..

That seems a bit harsh...especially when they have a point.

So what your sayin is I shouldnt port my own Heads & Intake? I should just buy one because someone spent the time to come up with a program, Sorry I'm not like most of you guys I work on my own stuff I dont just pay someone to do it for me. And AGAIN i DO NOT care what you think of me so if you cant help me in my request keep your opinion to yourself. I didnt ask for opinions. I'll just do it myself. you SHEEP keep forking out your hard earned money, I'll build my own shit.

So what your sayin is I shouldnt port my own Heads & Intake? I should just buy one because someone spent the time to come up with a program, Sorry I'm not like most of you guys I work on my own stuff I dont just pay someone to do it for me. And AGAIN i DO NOT care what you think of me so if you cant help me in my request keep your opinion to yourself. I didnt ask for opinions. I'll just do it myself. you SHEEP keep forking out your hard earned money, I'll build my own shit.

then do it yourself, without copying something that someone else spent a good chunk of their lifetime perfecting. take the time to figure out what makes it tick and how to make it better.then you can post up here how you made the best damn intake for these cars and people will want to buy them from you.

when you fork out the cash for a Champion intake you aren't paying for the intake- it's a hunk of metal that's only worth a few bucks- you are paying for all the time, effort, and tooling that someone spent over the years making it into something you want to copy.
i don't know how this concept is so hard to understand..

No I do, and I dont give a F**K what sits right with you.
That's one! Don't go any further here or I will make sure that you're going to have an issue with this board. No joke, no BS going on so knock this type of behavior off or that's it.:mad:

1st off i work on my own stuff and with the attitude you are showing to people having a reasonable conversation with you makes me hope no one helps you.

2nd you just made my point for me, someone spent the hours of time and testing to make a good service for people and you want to steal all that away from them...i have 0 issues with you or anyone porting their own stuff, but you should do your own research and testing not just steal someone elses work...dick

1st off i work on my own stuff and with the attitude you are showing to people having a reasonable conversation with you makes me hope no one helps you.

2nd you just made my point for me, someone spent the hours of time and testing to make a good service for people and you want to steal all that away from them...i have 0 issues with you or anyone porting their own stuff, but you should do your own research and testing not just steal someone elses work...dick

Now I remember why I quit posting on this board, cuz your a bunch of whiney crybabies, and every goof here has to post their personal opinion. again if you cant help someone in their post keep your stupid ass opinions to yourself.
There was no need for anyone to reply with how they felt about my request if you can't or didnt want to help then shut your piehole. As far as me copying what others have perfected isnt that what most of you have done?? Everyone here reads the boards to get ideas of what product works best. or get help on setting things up. In essence COPYING what others have studied and perfected. I'll even go so far as to say I had the FIRST TR running a mega squirt 3 in full sequencial mode in the COUNTRY. Another friend and I built and perfected that and when people asked for help ( It's here on this board ) We gave it freely to help. Not our dumb ass opinion of we perfected it find out for yiourself. The few morons who have posted their opinions here are some narrow minded GOOFS. Where would most of you who know nothing about a car be if you didn't copy someone elses recipe??? And for Charleyf1 whom ever you are with your internet keyboard tough guy threat you can close this thread and whatever else you see fit.

Sharing knowledge is great, but you aren't asking Tom for pointers.

If you post in an open forum you are gonna get responses and some might be stuff you don't wanna hear...doesn't mean you have to act like a d-bag.

Sharing knowledge is great, but you aren't asking Tom for pointers.

If you post in an open forum you are gonna get responses and some might be stuff you don't wanna hear...doesn't mean you have to act like a d-bag.

I'm the Dbag you came into my thread where you had no intention of helping, just to post your opinion?? whos the Dbag?? again you know what you can do with your opinion goober.

I'm the Dbag you came into my thread where you had no intention of helping, just to post your opinion?? whos the Dbag?? again you know what you can do with your opinion goober.

How can you possibky know what my intentions were when i clicked on this thread...by the time i read it you had already started acting like a jackass.

Ken told you how to do it, Square the ports to whatever size you are doing the head to. remove the injector bumps, radius the entry, remove the EGR tower. Thats what pretty much everyone who does them does. The job takes a long time, there is a couple places you can break through if not careful, I like doing my own stuff as well but when I can justify the cost against my time, tools and materials, sometimes it makes more sense to pay someone. If you have a question call me.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.