need quick help on setting TPS

martymcsuperfly

HI Guys,
I thought that setting the TPS was well with in range of abilities. however, I cant seem to get it right. Which wires do I check? Also, I assumed it would be the same wires for WOT. Last night when I tried this, I couldnt get close to the .47 volts. I had to change the sensor. After that, I was able to get to the .47. however, then I couldnt get more then 3 volts at WOT. I am having a rough time getting this car to idle correctly. When started, it just jumps right to around 3k and pretty much stays there for a while. Thanks guys! its been 7 years since I have owned one of these things. So I have forgotten all but how sensitive that they really are!

Here is the gnttype procedure. Adjusting the TPS You want about .44 idle and anything above 4.6 WOT. If you're reading it with the car off remember allot of times the voltage readings will go up with it running do to the alternator supplying more voltage. FWIW my idle settings are .42 off and .44 on. HTH. james

Edit: Sometimes the holes on the sensor need enlarging to get enough adjustment out of it but usually moving it forward will give you what you need.

Back probe the blue wire with your DVOM, or use your scanmaster. Get a rat tail file and you can hog out the half moon adjusting slots to get moreadjustability.

on a serious website about turbobuicks i once read that every reading over 4.0 at WOT will be alright! i only get about 4.55 at WOT, while my idle voltage is 0.44.

so if i set WOT higher, my idle will be out of range!

Anything over 4 is fine for WOT. Dont forget that you have to reset the IAC cuz it will be affected. Then go back & recheck the TPS. One affects the other!

You guys are the smartest people alive. These cars should come with a mandatory 5 day class!! The one problem I have is that I dont have a scan tool to set that IAC. I did print all of the instructions that you guys have helped me get so far! I hate to ask this, but what is an ALDL? I think its the diagnostic port, but I dont want to be wrong. With all of your help, i will get this car back to its former glory! So anything over 4 is ok. Its right at 4 at WOT. Do you guys think that this is the problem with the high idle? Certainly sounds like it could be!

Your setting at idle is the most important. Set it anywhere from .40-.44 volts and you should be ok. That's what affects your idle. At WOT anything over 4.0 volts is ok. Yes, the ALDL is your diagnotic connector to the right of the steering wheel down by your knee.

Do yourself a HUGE FAVOR & get a Scanmaster! You will eventually anyways, so bite the bullet & get one ASAP & you will be HAPPY you did!! No Joke, you really need one to help set up the car!

After being here at, ahem, work and reading ALL of these trouble shooting posts, I am in total agreement with this scanmaster tool. However, I havent a clue what it is! In my day, we had that little thing that flashed codes via lights!! This car does have some really good mods done to it, thus a scanmaster, or some sort of tuning tool is a must have.

Looks like i am going to go with the scan tool. I do have a laptop that I could use for this if I had to. IS that scanmaster the best for the job and the best for the buck? And, that will allow to fix the many problems. I am sure that this car is way, way out of tune. Sorry about all the questions, I just want to make sure each dollar that I spend, is a wise one! I had one of these 7 years ago, and i was a member way back then, and I have gotten so much bad advise from the two local shops, that I am now very slow to move on things!

yea, let me rephrase that one. This website has always been my go to place. Those two shops really messed my car up! The only help I had gotten was from this site. Which was why it was the first place I ran for cover when I got this buick back! Thanks for all the help! I am sure this old buick will run soon! I am dying to drive this car everywhere! now, it goes around the block and thats about the extent of it!

You could go with a powerlogger from them as well but then you have a laptop sitting there where as the SM is always on & very small. I have the SM for everyday & a Direct Scan (pre powerlogger) for track runs so I can see what happened where. Another great tool is a wideband 02 with an X-16 guage so you know exactly how lean-rich you are. The SM shows 02's as well but not as accurate being a narrow band sensor, altho still much better than guessing!!

Which scan tool you get depends on how well versed you are on tuning. Scan Master is a good tool and will give you a snapshot of what's going on. It's also small and you can leave it in the car to monitor things. If you want to know what's going on in real time and you know how to interpret the data and make adjustments, then Direct Scan or Power Logger is the way to go. You will need a laptop. Direct Scan is a DOS based program so you will need an older laptop running Windows 98 or similar program that supports DOS. Power Logger will run with the newer Windows XP program so you can use a newer laptop. I'm not sure if it will run with Vista.

Well, as my tuning knowledge is somewhat lacking, looks like that scanmaster will help. I dont really want my laptop bouncing around the car too much. And, the odds are I wouldnt know what I was looking at anyway!! Do you think a used scanmaster is a good idea? or just suck it up and get a brand new one? Thanks again! I really, really appreciate all this input!

Do you think a used scanmaster is a good idea? or just suck it up and get a brand new one? Thanks again! I really, really appreciate all this input!

Depends on your budget and how soon you need one. Sounds like you need one right away. If you can get a used one for a decent price in a timely manner then go for it otherwise, just buy a new one.

Put up a post in the parts wanted section. Absolutely no reason it has to be new. Just don't drive the car hard at all until you get one. HTH. james

I thought I would add my .02 regarding the TPS sensor. Mine checked out fine at idle and WOT with key off. However, my scan tool showed me that the TPS voltage had dropped way down in one frame, while making a hard run under boost. I replaced the TPS sensor and that fixed it. So some kind of a scan tool is a must. You need one that allows you to play back after the run so you can see what happened. Snap On also makes one, so scan master isn't the only game in town. I bought an old school OTC4000 off ebay for $100 a few years ago.

I was hoping for something that would allow me to make the changes via the tuner. But, that is going to be beyond my abilities as of yet. This thing has got about 300 things that need to be gone through. I think that I have to start with just getting it to run normally!

I have the .44 volts at the TPS, but at WOT the highest it goes is 3.05 volts! Is there a way to adjust the wot volts without messing up the .44?

Also, with my cam sensor, I cant get that thing anywhere near the volts it should have. It will only read 5 volts!

Thanks for all the help guys! I tell you, this would be a total mess without your help!