Need Opinions on this Grand National For Sale!

kTrainHurricane

Vader Drives a GN
Here is the link to craigslist: 1987 Buick Grand National

I went and checked the car out in person, and have very mixed feelings. It seems like there was a very good, honest attempt to get the car as nice as possible, but it was done by people who don't know much about Turbo Buicks. Here is some of the things I noted:
-no rust whatsoever
-was literally just repainted...looks nice
-Weld Draglite wheels
-new T-Top seals, door seals, trunk seals, etc. (does not leak anywhere)
-needs both front and rear window seals (doesn't have any at all)
-brand new carpet
-seats are mint and look like they are brand new; as does the headliner
-digital dash works perfect

Under the hood is where I began to see some suspicion. Things noted:
-motor has 116k original miles - according to the owner it was recently "refreshed" but not rebuilt --> new plugs, wires, all seals replaced, etc.
-intercooler sat kind of crooked (shroud was not on but he had it)
-saw a fair amount of zip-ties in various places
-dipstick was missing plastic pull-off piece
-overall just did not look "right"
*The only seal he said that was not replaced was the rear main, and I saw a puddle of oil underneath the car (pictured)

I am basically wondering what this car is worth, if anything. Are the things it need minor or major? Cheap or expensive to get the car "right"? And just to note, I usually do not judge people by appearance, but the owner and his buddy/mechanic had a lot of tattoos and gold teeth...seemed kind of ghetto. But again, to give them credit it does look like a serious attempt was made to do things right.

If the body is really that nice with no rust and the paint job is actually a good one then its probably worth what their asking. If the car runs & shifts good you can always go through it while you drive it. If you can get the car for under $7k then id say you got yourself a good deal. Good luck.

Be careful... A few odd looking things IMO... As stated if body is 100% with no rust and paint is good you can look over some issues. I'd bet the wiring is messed up in there...

Be careful... A few odd looking things IMO... As stated if body is 100% with no rust and paint is good you can look over some issues. I'd bet the wiring is messed up in there...

Thats the same impression I got...what exactly looks "odd" to you? And those zip-ties I mentioned all seemed to be connected to wires at one end or the other. I have NO knowledege whatsoever as far as electrical goes, so that is a problem I'd be paying someone else to fix if need-be

Thats the same impression I got...what exactly looks "odd" to you? And those zip-ties I mentioned all seemed to be connected to wires at one end or the other. I have NO knowledege whatsoever as far as electrical goes, so that is a problem I'd be paying someone else to fix if need-be

Just a few things look out of place, different types of wiring going on looks like. The bov is odd too, makes me suspect it was someone that had NO CLUE wtf they were doing... Some guys here run them and have great success but I bet that isn't one of them. The blue pipe yells something I just can't put my finger on it yet;)

I want even go to the shifter:biggrin:;)

My advice is to carry whomever you intend to work on the car if at all possible to look at it... If not take plenty of pictures and come back and post them up for us, these guys are great at spotting things!!!

I'd be leery of a car that was just painted unless they can provide pictures to show what was done. Fresh paint can hide a lot of problems if not done properly.

Who "freshens" a TB engine and doesn't replace the rear main seal? I'd spend more and get a better car.

the pics from craigslist add

If the guy is to lazy to remove the empty water bottles from the car before he takes the picture of the car he is trying to sell. then everything else that he did to the car probally has the same amount of effort put into it
id stay clear of it. besides some of the other odd things...

just my 2 cents

Zip-ties are normal on alot of TR's, but on the hoses not wires. I have ties on every line to keep it from blowing off under boost. They are on nice and neat. I agree with the others, too many wiring nightmares could pop up on this car. There are too many out there for sale to not look at more.

:biggrin:

I am a bit leary of buying cars off Craigslist. 90% of the people on there are very shady and are usually trying to unload something quick. Also he is very vague in his description...usually a red flag that he might hiding something. Also coming from South Florida = double red flag. Alot of wrong people tend to get their hands on cars around here and trash them. Check the title history on this car before you buy it.

Can you say polished turd :eek: I love the Cobra shifter handle,,,,

I would never own that car, but to each his own..

The blue pipe yells something I just can't put my finger on it yet;)

Oh, you mean like the bung that's got a rubber hose stuck on it AND a BOLT to plug the hose end.:rolleyes:

Fast with Class right there.

Here's my advise on this sack of $hit..... Run Forrest, RUUUUUUUNNNNN!!

Having just purch a t top GN that leaked like a sieve, I would check floorboards. I got lucky just replacing carpet, t top center bar and rubber. Check the center bar under the new rubber.

Carl

Based on my experience just looking at a few photos....this is not something you want to buy unless you got a back up car for parts and to use as a guide.

Cosmetically door panel trim being wood grin is off a regular Regal pleats are gone on door panel missing mirror control has some funky speaker in the door panel.

Seems most of those who have posted their thoughts agree....this one you walk away from...a higher mileage one that has had one adult owner would far outshine the value.

Don't be held in awe of the paint chances are it probably is not that good if it was examined by a top notch body shop.

Curious did not read everything but was wondering if you checked the trunk ID label to see if VIN matches to the VIN tag by windshield.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Totalled title maybe? all of the new interior and seals is a dead give away of a flood car.... Be careful

WOW thanks a lot guys, you really helped make this decision an easy one. I guess my search continues, but at least I know where to go to ask for advice before-hand! :cheers: