Need opinions on GN

pro69

Might be looking at it Sunday. I really wanted an 87 but this got my attention. 86,astro roof,86k miles, new paint,previous owner rebuilt motor, was told stock crank,eagle rods,wisco pistons,206 cam,60 pound inj,255 pump hotwire, TA cover,Hotchkiss front and rear susp. I don't want a race car, just want something for cruises, etc. Maybe an occasional pass down the track. I'm hoping this would run at least 12s. I don't want to change the turbo unless it breaks.
What are differences between 86/87? I know grill is different but that's all I know.

Car also has turbo tweak chip,full options,concert sound,driver power seat,originally came from CA.

The grille and the production numbers is about it. (20,193 Gn's in 87 vs. 5512 in 86)
That GN sounds like mine sans the rebuild. (I'd ask for more details on the build-like who built it)

Grill is about it. That set up should run 12's easily with the right tune and running good.

The grille and the production numbers is about it. (20,193 Gn's in 87 vs. 5512 in 86)
That GN sounds like mine sans the rebuild. (I'd ask for more details on the build-like who built it)
Said previous owner did. Motor, and the other mods done at Cottmans.

kirban 2 cents worth

the 86 had different rate springs up front sat lower than 87s as a rule. You probably met Cottons who did the motor. You should probably check with them to get rundown on what he did. A factory astro roof is a very desireable option by factory check the SPID label in the trunk shows all the codes for the options. The code is CF5 no CF5 means its a aftermarket roof.

If you want email me denniskirban@yahoo.com the VIN numbers after the HP portion could be one of my old cars never know....if its a east coast car.

No real difference in values between 86 and 87 if both cars were basically the same I know when I sold them did not matter. Sure some readers may disagree....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Current owner said previous owner did engine when car still in CA, then current owner shipped it to Pa, and the other mods I mentioned were done at cottmans.

Maybe there is some confusion.
The engine builder WE are talking about is Jack Cotton (http://www.cottonsperformance.com/) - who is in Massachusetts.
You're writing Cottmans (never heard of them)- In California, most of the guys go to Lou Czarnota or maybe Donnie Wang

kirban 2 cents worth

the 86 had different rate springs up front sat lower than 87s as a rule. You probably met Cottons who did the motor. You should probably check with them to get rundown on what he did. A factory astro roof is a very desireable option by factory check the SPID label in the trunk shows all the codes for the options. The code is CF5 no CF5 means its a aftermarket roof.

If you want email me denniskirban@yahoo.com the VIN numbers after the HP portion could be one of my old cars never know....if its a east coast car.

No real difference in values between 86 and 87 if both cars were basically the same I know when I sold them did not matter. Sure some readers may disagree....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Still a IC car basically cosmetics. Didn't know the spring rates were different but I did know the 86's set a littler lower than a 87. My 86 and my friends 86 both set lower than any 87 we have ever seen. Of course stock that is.

And the door straps that were mentioned are different but I have seen stock 86's with gray straps. Maybe they ran out of the black straps and put in gray ones since they were changing them anyway?

Also the AC controls can be different in a 86. I have the Touch control climate.

And Dennis what do you think about the HP and TQ numbers for the 86 vs the 87 is there really any difference or was it Buick just messing with the numbers because of the Vette?

I was also concerned about the value of 86 vs 87. I know most people want 87s cause if it being the last year made. I honestly wanted an 87,but this car caught my eye. If I buy, and if I'd ever sell it in the future just thinking of resale value.

I was also concerned about the value of 86 vs 87. I know most people want 87s cause if it being the last year made. I honestly wanted an 87,but this car caught my eye. If I buy, and if I'd ever sell it in the future just thinking of resale value.
all of the valuation tools, (hagerty insurance, CPI book, NADA, etc.) value the 87 more than the 86. however in my humble opinion, there is no difference in value!

There's no "real" difference in the cars- just a lot of misinformation that has somehow made people think that the 87 is somehow much better than the 86. (The horsepower thing is not true. It was Buick engineers harassing the Corvette folks)

And I can also confirm the 86's sitting lower. Both my 86's sit much lower than my 87's- They sat too high like tractors. :)

Call Jack Cotton on Monday and introduce yourself. Fill him in on who the previous/current owners are. Like many of our TR mechanics, he does so many of these things he may need a little help recalling the info. But I'm sure he will try.

I have seen in some cases, some of Jack's customers will have work done to their cars with plans to go further, but not finish the combo package. Or against his advice, have work done and opt out for other critical modifications needed to support and complete the combination. Sometimes it's time or budget related, others times it's hardheadedness. I have been one of these hardheaded customers as well.

It's even more helpful sometimes to know what this car may need to complete a package that will be a reliable and stout performer.

Four 87's to every one 86 makes sense to me. :) But I'm bias lol

And everyone wants a 87 because its the last year? No. I think the 87 year gets all the press and lot of folks that are not in the know don't know the 86 is the same car.

I'm hoping current owner has previous owners receipts. And yes current owner was doing mods here and there. Also found out it has fiberglass hood and trunk lid, trunk kit,shaved door locks with remote door unlock and trunk release. No trim on bumpers.

I'm hoping current owner has previous owners receipts. And yes current owner was doing mods here and there. Also found out it has fiberglass hood and trunk lid, trunk kit,shaved door locks with remote door unlock and trunk release. No trim on bumpers.
I like the clean bumper look. Also the fiberglass, if the body work is good and it's not all too wavy. Nice and light. I would have left the door handles for sure though.

Owner says paint is like glass. Said previous owner shaved looks to help prevent theft.